2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

All this damn talk about Cam Newton being perfect for the Bills or Titans is making me sick. I DO NOT WANT JAMARCUS RUSSELL 2.0 WITH THE TITANS! If he is being considered we might aswell stick to VY for this season.

Don't worry, the good ol' Buddy Nix'll probably take him #3, so you won't have to even worry about him.

I don't think the Titans will be nuts enough to take a chance on Newton. I'd say he probably will end up with the Panthers or Bills. The Panthers need anyone they can get and the Bills have a knack for drafting overrated, shitty QBs.

He went 11 for 21 during the passing portion of the Combine, though, so his stock is going to go down. At any rate, I think he'll be drafted higher than he probably should be.

Personally, I'm hoping the Titans pick up Christian Ponder or Jake Locker (who has some accuracy issues, but those can be fixed and he has one hell of an arm), and stay the fuck away from Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett. (Mallett refuses to address the issues about possible drug use)

I don't think the Titans will be nuts enough to take a chance on Newton. I'd say he probably will end up with the Panthers or Bills. The Panthers need anyone they can get and the Bills have a knack for drafting overrated, shitty QBs.

He went 11 for 21 during the passing portion of the Combine, though, so his stock is going to go down. At any rate, I think he'll be drafted higher than he probably should be.

Personally, I'm hoping the Titans pick up Christian Ponder or Jake Locker (who has some accuracy issues, but those can be fixed and he has one hell of an arm), and stay the fuck away from Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett. (Mallett refuses to address the issues about possible drug use)

In public, which I can understand. I think I read somewhere that he aced his team interviews, but given the coaching these kids receive, that should be expected. I don't want anything to do with the kid, regardless. I don't see him having any success in the NFL whatsoever.

So, just taking a poll, who else continued their run of Combine boycotts this year? I'm now at 6 years going strong. I watch enough College Football where if I don't get an idea about who will actually be a good NFL player from that, then I might as well find a new sport to follow religiously.

So, just taking a poll, who else continued their run of Combine boycotts this year? I'm now at 6 years going strong. I watch enough College Football where if I don't get an idea about who will actually be a good NFL player from that, then I might as well find a new sport to follow religiously.

I never follow the Combine at all. The only reason I even know anything about how Newton performed is because I watched Mike & Mike In The Morning and First Take, and both shows talked about it.

Kind of surprised to see Woody get cut. He's been pretty good for NYJ, hasn't he?

What naiwf said and depending on how he would bounce back from his injury at the end of last season. He's been great though and if he's healthy enough/willing to take a paycut I'd love him back.

Adam Schefter tweeted this a while ago:

Vernon Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery. Never got it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

That must be cringeworthy for him, what a gigantic bust.

If I were him, I'd have told Brian Hoyer and whoever was playing Tackle for the Pats that day to give up one and take $1.5mil each for it during that huge blowout win this year.

The Panthers need anyone they can get and the Bills have a knack for drafting overrated, shitty QBs.

We do ?

Losman, yeah. But that's it. Yeah they took Edwards in the 3rd when the Losman experience was proven to be a bad one but that certainly isn't drafting an overrated, shitty QB. The Bills don't even draft QB's really. Since '95 they've taken Todd Collins, Losman, Edwards, and Levi Brown ..... all 4 of 'em.

Not sure what you're thinking of unless you're just counting Losman x10 (which isn't too much of a stretch I admit)

I'm with you for the most part. I do like to watch specific players though. Having played and gone through a similiar process as the combine (the NFL Scout Camp does the same routine just not on the "grand" scale) I'm curious about the "numbers" certain guys put up in contrast to how I saw them play in college.

D'Qwan Bowers is the perfect example. Someone in the thread pretty much laughed at his bench press numbers (which I fully admit I was surprised at). However, weight room strength =/= on field strength. Sure it's great to have both and the weight room can certainly help you on the field (see Marcelus Wiley) but it isn't the end all and be all. Bowers has what we call in Texas "Farm" strength. Or, real strength. He may not be able to bench press 225 pounds too many times (comparitively) but he can move around dead weight in all directions.

I'm with you for the most part. I do like to watch specific players though. Having played and gone through a similiar process as the combine (the NFL Scout Camp does the same routine just not on the "grand" scale) I'm curious about the "numbers" certain guys put up in contrast to how I saw them play in college.

This and the drills which test fluidity/agility are the main reasons I watch, pretty much. There's also simply too many quality prospects and not enough nationally televised games to have an accurate assessment of just what each and every one of them is; the combine is a good way to amassing all of the prospects, and figuring out who looks the part (which should encourage going back and watching games specifically for them, or whatever).