General Football Thread

Starvinho

HD makes all the difference when you watch something on Eurosport. I'm sure since we got HD the normal Eurosport 1 and 2 have become actually worse to view; it's almost as if you're watching an internet stream at times.

I watched the Northern Ireland v Faroe Islands match. I say watch, it was on and I was in the same room as it. Got to 70 minutes and the rain outside was so bad the satellite signal was lost, so we gave up.

Poor Faroe Islands. Even David Healy was giving them the run around.

HD makes all the difference when you watch something on Eurosport. I'm sure since we got HD the normal Eurosport 1 and 2 have become actually worse to view; it's almost as if you're watching an internet stream at times.

I think some networks have been deliberately making non HD footage look worse to usher people across. There's no way that football in 2001 was the horrible blurry mess it appears when watching clips on Sky Sports for one.

I have to agree but I honestly don't remember it being nearly as bad until I switched to HD and then I saw how clear the picture was. It's at the point now where if I watch a match on Europsort the score in the top corner, or the team line ups are so blurry it can actually be difficult to read.

Like you say, there must be some intentional work done by the broadcaster, but similarly I wouldn't trade it for the world. I've never been so inclined to watch TV downstairs now with it's beautiful picture, even if my parents do insist on talking over it all or if my dad does the age old "What did he go down for?" when someone goes down all too easily.

There really is no greater contrast than going from the 5 o'clock Saturday Premier League game on ESPN HD to the Spanish game on standard def Sky (thanks Virgin Media). Feels like you've been transported to the 80's, if they had adverts for Camel cigarettes and Brut I'd be well confused.

Had a right go at issue zero of the Blizzard on the train today and its frankly fantastic. Only a third in and I'm already feeling guilty about only paying 50p for it. Slightly embarassingly laughed with my headphones on though when I read the article on Bastia, the bit about the racist treatment towards Boubacar Kebe where the Bastia fans responded to their punishment with a banner saying 'Kebe, we're not racist; to prove it, we'll fuck you in the arse'. Racist scum, but hilarious all the same...

• Admin

Holland will apparently be ranked the #1 side in the world anyway when the next set of rankings are released.

Also, rumours circulating that PSG have sacked Antoine Kombouaré and are lining up Carlo Ancelotti to replace him. Just rumours atm though.

Didn't think it was worth a new thread given all the betting and fantasy league stuff, but is anyone doing The Suns Dream Team this year? Its free to enter and you can enter your team in more than one minileague this year so if anyones up for it could start a EWB one? Less faffy than the Sky one where you have to change teams every week (up to 5 transfer windows this year), worth a go?

www.dreamteamfc.com

If theres a few of us I'll set up a league, if not no worries.

Edited by Colly

I have a league on SkySports, a few people have already joined the league.

http://fantasyfootball.skysports.com/

The league name is EWB and the pin is 8001653 for anyone else who wants to join.

Edit: I joined The Sun as well.

Edited by Starvinho