General Football Thread

Starvinho

15 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Not yet in the UEFA Youth Cup, no.

This is one of the things that bugs me about goal line tech. Its unfair if only some competitions have it and other don't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Eh, I'd imagine it's largely a cost issue. A bit naff, but nobody outside of the people involved and a few quiet media outlets are going to kick up a fuss about a youth cup.

But if Sudbury AFC can't afford it, how is it fair? :<

That's nonsense though, the whole 'everyone plays the same game' was put of the window with miked up refs, fourth officials and fancy subs boards. You're lucky if you get a linesman further down the pyramid.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colly said:

That's nonsense though, the whole 'everyone plays the same game' was put of the window with miked up refs, fourth officials and fancy subs boards. You're lucky if you get a linesman further down the pyramid.

Exactly. Play football properly or not at all :@

If they got rid of the pointless officials they have by the goal in the Europa League who I have never seen influence a decision at all...then resources could be put elsewhere <_<

Seriously they just stand there and do fuck all!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Marrio said:

If they got rid of the pointless officials they have by the goal in the Europa League who I have never seen influence a decision at all...then resources could be put elsewhere <_<

Seriously they just stand there and do fuck all!!

I know its cliche to ask what they do, but really, what do they do? I thought they were there to sort out penalty shouts. I think they have a good union rep and he's finding work for them.

2 hours ago, MDK said:

I know its cliche to ask what they do, but really, what do they do? I thought they were there to sort out penalty shouts. I think they have a good union rep and he's finding work for them.

One if them actually did something in one of our CL group games - ruling that the ball had crossed the line. They seem to literally be a human version of GLT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Edwin van der Sar is to step out of retirement at the age of 45 to play one match for his former club VV Noordwijk in the Dutch fourth tier.

The former Holland and Manchester United goalkeeper quit playing in 2011, after United’s Champions League final defeat to Barcelona, but has accepted a request from Noordwijk, for whom he played at the start of his career, after their regular goalkeeper Mustafa Mare Zine suffered an injury.

“He still thinks warmly of the club and is here regularly,” said the Noordwijk technical director, Peter Vink, to Voetbal in de Bollenstreek.

“After some deliberation, he agreed to keep goal next Saturday against Jodan Boys. We assume that it is basically only for one game. We are thrilled that Edwin wants to help us in this way.”

Van der Sar spent five years at Noordwijk before joining Ajax in 1990, and went on to win a Dutch record 130 caps for Holland as well as winning Champions League titles with Ajax and Manchester United.

• Like 3

• Admin

An Italian referee produced a fine example of practising what you preach when he resisted retaliating to a full-blooded kick to the calf from a player he had just sent off.

The ninth-tier league game between Castel San Niccolo and visitors Fortis Arezzo, which took place on a mud-soaked pitch just outside Florence, was 0-0 when the home side’s No 11 was shown a red card.

As the referee went to put the card back in his pocket and turn away, the incensed San Niccolo player lashed out with a violent kick – but remarkably the official was unmoved, managing to keep his feet and standing his ground before his attacker was carried away from the field by a team-mate.

When play resumed 11-man Arezzo ran riot with striker Massimiliano Pecorari scoring all their goals in a 4-0 win. San Niccolo are pinned to the bottom of the table without a win all season and with only one point from 22 games.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MDK said:

That looks like The Somme. 

Over to Geoff Shreeves with the injury update.  "He's got a bad case of trench foot it appears"

• Like 1