Roland Garros 2011

EddieG

Shocked to not see a thread yet, I know there's a few fans out here. Figured I'd start it after watching 104th ranked Arantxa Rus beat Kim Clijsters :wub:

Kin 'ell Kim. Useless women. This is why I stick to betting on males.

Djokovic has looked amazing so far. De Bakker is nee slouch, I know he's not transferred from juniors to seniors like he'd hope but he was made to look pathetic by the Djoker. Really think he could be the winner here. Be daft to bet agaisnt him at the moment like.

I don't know how long this Djokovic streak will last, or even if he can dethrone Nadal here. That said, I really think this is the year the torch gets passed to him and he takes over as the clear number 1 in the world. Of the "big 3" he's the youngest and also has had so much unfulfilled potential to this point. It looks like he might have finally pieced it all together.

Ferrer or Federer? :shifty:

Good 2 days for me, Rus beats Clijsters, and my favorite non-Dutch player Hantucho takes out Wozniacki. #1 and 2 seed out in the first week, glorious. :wub:

Absolutely shocking start to the match by all accounts, going 5-0 down. He finally raised his game but so did Troicki and it was a good 3 sets after that, but if he's that poor from the beginning when they pick back up tomorrow then he's going to be exiting the tournament. He better come out of the traps sharper because after those initial five games he started to reel off some fabulous winners (still some shocking drop shot decisions and lob attempts after they'd failed mind you) but his groundstrokes were looking much smoother and better. After Djokovic it's pretty much an open field, Nadal has looked below par, Federer is always fragile these days and Soderling didn't seem to want to win today against Simon. If anything I think Murray's played some of the best tennis of the tournament (again after Djokovic, but he's a different class at the minute) so it could be a good time for him to step up and make it far into the tournament.

Hoping for a good set tomorrow, carrying on from the form in the fourth and he should be alright. Of course a nights rest will make it a different ball game, I'd also say Troicki has a chance to speak to his coach now about what to do in the final set but since he and his coach just seem to have full blown conversations between points anyways I think it's probably a little redundant.

I can barely take any of this, Troicki has been sublime with turning defence into attack and actually looks like he wants to get to the net and close out the points. Whether he is getting a little tight hence the wayward forehands I don't know but I think he's the favourite even with the game back on serve. Murray just isn't being aggressive enough, he's way too passive like he was in set 1 and 2 and not attacking or taking control like he did in 3 or 4.

Ha ways Muz.

Yeah I was hoping I'd hex'd it when I said that. ;)

His experience looks like it could pay out, and that's why it was vital for him to stay close even when a break down. Troicki seized up a bit so with Murray still keeping up the pace. Shame it's took him the last 3 games or so to start going after it a bit more and not from the first game of the final set like you'd have hoped to see, but if he does pull through - and it's not guarantee'd given this match - then it's skin of his teeth stuff.

Monfils really didn't benefit by his match carrying over to yesterday, Federer came in fresh and made easy work of him. Not that Monfils really had a serious chance, but at some point he's got to live up to all that potential and I thought this might have been the tournament where he did it. I don't know if the lack of a day of rest is going to hurt Murray, it certainly took its toll on Monfils today.

My grandma loves tennis. She was telling me on the phone earlier about the matches she watched earlier. She couldn't remember Monfils' name so she just referred to him as 'that coloured boy'.

Elderly bigotry is just grand.

I read this is in an old southern accent, like how someone from Georgia or Alabama might sound. Then I remembered it was impossible for your grandma to be from there. This made me very disappointed.

Reminds me of this elderly woman at work, asking this colored woman if she's related to this family, because "they are colored as well"