Roland Garros 2011

EddieG

Girl I used to play tennis with (until she got a bit awesome and went national/inter-national and I stayed mediocre), her grandma was the same.

Rafa Nadal was "my little Indian boy" .. which is just fantastic really.

And here we go again, down 1-4 as I type. I won't be able to watch all this match like I did his against Troicki, but I envisage a similar style.

He'll be a bit too passive at the wrong times and I imagine most long rallies will go the way of the Argentine. If he starts swinging and really get his racket through the ball and looking to get after the weak Chela serves then he could win this in straight sets.

Think he'll come through it, and by far the easiest run through the tournament so far, but I think he'll be made to work a bit harder than he really should need to be.

Edited by IAceI

Nah he's definitely injured, went over it against Berrer. Rolled it quite badly and managed to carry on, he's been lucky in the sense his opponents aren't better (particularly Berrer who was awful at taking advantage).

It was a bit of a twisted ankle in the sense that after a bit of pressure and running it starts to ease off a bit but he said after Troicki there was a slight tear and he's struggling to push off on his serve and slide into his forehand.

So yeah, definitely carrying a knock but should he go out here (unless he rolls his ankle again in which case he's done for) he'll probably be the first to admit he should have won and it wasn't a case of his ankle troubles. And from watching him, he looked pretty fine moving against Troicki and I maintain his poor play is more down to his shot selection (whether his ankle is affecting that a great deal I couldn't say).

Federer/Djokovic and Nadal/Murray (if he hangs on) are two pretty good semi final matches.

Yup. There's no way anyone could've ever predicted that, at the start. shifty.gif

Right.....like Murray/Djokobic haven't had their shares of choke jobs over the years.

That being said, sometimes in sports predictable is the way to go. I think this is one of those times.

Couldn't see Djokovic choking at all this year. If anything I'd have said Federer was probably the most likely to be dumped out early but he's looked imperious. Djokovic has been a cut above. Nadal started poor and then improved greatly, especially from what I heard against Soderling and Murray started good and has looked a tad negative since the injury but when he bosses the point he looks fantastic.

Unfortunately for Murray I think it's going to be a three set loss against Nadal, and while a Djokovic v Nadal final is the most obvious scenario (given their seedings), similarly I think it's the one that's going to provide the greatest entertainment and match. And quite frankly I'd be excited to watch. I think Federer's had a good few months and been good in the tournament but Djokovic and Nadal just hit the ball too well for him to cope at the moment. And sadly I'd say Murray is the weakest link out of all four right now, although he generally does have Federer's number.

Bit ambitious but I'm going to say Nadal and Djokovic both to advance in straight sets and then Djokovic in four in the final.

Murray brought his A game eventually today. I felt Chela was a bit unlucky, to lose in straight sets barely tells the story and he played very well at times. Just seemed Murray had a slight edge for most of the tie. Getting to the semi for the first time is pleasing, but I really can't see him beating Nadal, especially if the ankle causes any problems (not that it had any effect today mind). I'm looking forward to both semi-finals, should be interesting and there should be some fantastic tennis played. I still can't see past Nadal winning this tournament, he's lost the last two matches against Djokovic and really won't want to let him take his Roland Garros crown. I don't care how underwhelming for Rafa his standard has been so far in the tournament. He seemed to make light enough work of Soderling today and how he fares against Murray should tell us even more.

Women's is shaping up to be interesting at least, what with all the so-called top players going out. Schiavone looks a solid bet to retain at the minute, but Li Na's having an impressive few months so anything could happen yet.

Personally think she'll self-destruct (sad when this is the way most of the time with women) and Schiavone's previous experience will be what pays dividends but who knows with the women's game. I too hope Li Na wins.

Got some abuse when I said Djokovic will do Federer, especially when I said in 3. Few of my friends seem confident Federer's playing well enough to beat the Djoker but I just can't see it myself. I think he's at another level, plus we need Djoker because if Fed wins and faces Nadal in the final (can't see Murray stopping him) then there'll only be one winner there. I stand by bet of both semi finals in 3 and then Djoker over Nadal in 4.

I hope Murray makes a good account of himself today, can't quite see him getting through but taking Nadal to 5-sets would be an achievement in itself. Just hoping he stays fit and takes this good form into the grass season to be honest, Wimbledon will be massive as always for him this season.

Nadal a break up early on, 2-1 in the first.

Edit: Nadal takes the first 6-4 but Murray pushed him all the way in the end. Should be an interesting second set now.

Edited by Starvinho

I actually thought Murray played really well, better than I thought he would, but Nadal was just awesome at times. The second set could have gone either way and Murray took Nadal to the limit in the first and third. Hoping for a great two weeks at Wimbledon from Murray now, would love him to get to the final at least and then hopefully the crowd would see him through to his first major.

Still can't see anyone beating Djoko at the moment mind, but Federer is giving it his best shot at the moment, he's two sets to one up but Djoko is serving for the fourth set as we speak.