The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Another good manager to get sacked from Chelsea. Really hard to change something when the same prima-donnas have been undermining anyone that gets the job. Hoping AVB doesn't come back to Porto.

Told Mike Dean to go fuck himself if my lip reading is correct. He was suspended for the next two games anyways with that yellow card early on so this will tack an extra game on. No Cattermole or Sessegnon for the FA Cup means we're struggling on that front as well but we came through the derby with one more point than what I was expecting.

Heart breaking way to give it away but Newcastle deserved something out of the match, and if you'd offered me a point before the match I'd have snapped your entire arm off - let alone your hand. So 1-1 is a much better result for us than it is for them. Thought we worked very hard but Sessegnon's stupidity cost us. He was the best player on the pitch until that moment and all our good work was going through him.

Shame about Villas-Boas, I liked him but the results evidently weren't good enough to let him work at his 'project', will be interesting to see how he does in his next move should it be a relatively big club. May shed some light on how much of Chelsea's results this season were down to his shortcomings or the teams apparent lack of interest in actually trying.

• Admin

Here's the full Chelsea statement:

"Andre Villa-Boas has parted company with Chelsea Football Club today.

"The board would like to record our gratitude for his work and express our disappointment that the relationship has ended so early.

"Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

"The club is still competing in the latter stages of the Uefa Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.

"With that in mind we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.

"With immediate effect Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed first team coach on an interim basis until the end of the season."

And for completion's sake:

Fulham: Schwarzer, Hughes, Senderos, Hangeland, John Arne Riise, Duff, Murphy, Dembele, Dempsey, Johnson, Pogrebnyak.

Subs: Stockdale, Orlando Sa, Diarra, Etuhu, Frei, Davies, Halliche.

Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Zubar, Stearman, Berra, Ward, Kightly, Foley, Henry, O'Hara, Jarvis, Doyle.

Subs: de Vries, Fletcher, Hunt, Johnson, Milijas, Bassong, Jonsson.

Referee: Mike Jones (Cheshire)

That was frustrating but like Ace I'm happy with a point despite the amount of second half possession even before the sending off. Didn't even see the penalty so will have to watch MOTD later, but Mike Deans ludicrous decision to book people for one foul ruined the first half. That and repeatedly ignoring blatant timewasting from Richardson and the keeper.

Reckon I've jinxed Ba since he's been shit since I put him in my Dream Team, but he should never take the ball off Shola for a penalty. Ben Arfa to start next week too, best I've seen him play today.

Edited by Colly

• Admin

Real Madrid are in La Liga action tonight, which means a Jose Mourinho news conference (Y). I'm sure that the plan is to try and get him in the summer. Surely with all the millions managerial changes has cost him, Roman must swallow his pride and acknowledge his mistake in sacking Mourinho?

Iteresting note: West Brom beat Wolves and Mick McCarthy gets sacked. West Brom beat Chelsea and AVB gets sacked. West Brom play Man Utd next...

Indeed.

It's a case of the pundits say "See, all we need is the referee to give these and we will get it out of our game" and then a week later if all 10 Premier League matches have finished 3-2 with five penalties given (although in honour of Waddle's commentary today on ESPN - pelanty) and nine men are left on each side because of 'straight red cards for simulation' the same pundits would be the first to say how we're killing the beauty of the game.

Both instances we're 'pelanties' and correctly given, unfortunately my 'Larsson of Jonas' in the sweepstakes was way off. Incidentally we today became the 20th team to score a pelanty in the Premier League this season, that was only our second of this season.

• Admin

It all started going wrong for Chelsea when Ray Wilkins was sacked, one would argue. Here's his thoughts:

"I feel for Andre [Villas-Boas], I hate to see people lose their jobs. It's been extremely difficult for him, he's been hanging in there.

"It's very difficult for Chelsea, they have a very important FA Cup game coming up against Birmingham City and in the following week you have the game against Napoli.

"Our football is extremely different to Portugal. No disrespect to Porto, but it can be a breeze winning titles with them. It's not as hard.

"The Premier League is an extremely hard place to be."