The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

It was a bit of a lucky one initial shot hit the post, hit Riena and he got the rebound.

Awful game though.

That match was a case of Dalglish wanting to rest players before Everton and Stoke. I don't think he cares about the league much anymore after last week but he'll want to win the derby and keep going in the cup.

A midfield where Jay Spearing is starting alongside Charlie Adam is never a good thing. Henderson is practically invisible nearly every time he plays. We do really miss Lucas, a fit Gerrard and it would be nice if Bellamy wasn't knackered and needed to be kept in cotton wool. Suarez has to do too much work to try and get shots in (it's a pity Dalglish doesn't fancy Kuyt that much because I always thought he and Suarez were a good partnership in the run they had last season), Carroll didn't do much when he came on which is sad, he seems to have stalled again (the Carling Cup final was a surprise in that he had a horrible game and Downing had a great one).

Sunderland scored a pretty lucky goal in a pretty shitty game. I hope Liverpool are more up for the Everton game than they were for this one. They ought to be.

• Admin
Everton: Howard, Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Osman, Fellaini, Drenthe, Cahill, Jelavic.

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Jagielka, Stracqualursi, Gueye, Rodwell, Anichebe.

Tottenham: Friedel, Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto, Bale, Sandro, Parker, Modric, Defoe, Adebayor.

Subs: Cudicini, van der Vaart, Saha, Kranjcar, Rose, Livermore, Nelsen.

Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Defoe starts ahead of Saha, VDV returns to the bench. Kaboul/King partnership is resumed at the back. Parker also returns.

They (MONderland) had one shot on target.

Yep, while the majority of Liverpools five shots on target were the likes of Charlie Adam trying to pull Roy of the Rovers style bullshit (it bugs me when Gerrard does it but even moreso when his less talented Scottish equivalent does it) and Suarez hitting tame shots after beating half the Sunderland defence. The rest were Charlie Adam trying to pull Roy of the Rovers style bullshit, Stewart Downing having a panic shot and probably Dirk Kuyt.

If we could score goals we'd be alright. I don't particularly blame Carroll or Suarez for that (both have worked quite hard at times this season but perhaps more than they need to), but rather the whole attacking set up of the team often enough. Downing rarely makes a decent cross, Henderson rarely does anything going forward. Adam gives the ball away/pumps the ball up the pitch/takes long shots he doesn't need to and only exists to take frees and corners. I think Adam can do good things if he sticks to closing down and playing simple passes but he far too often goes for glory stuff. If the forwards aren't getting the right kind of supply they need they won't score.

Spurs miss Lennon so much when he isn't in the team. Bale is the only one providing width, and Modric covering the left is not a position that utilises his creativity. Not sure though if my preferred tactic without Lennon is too attacking for away at Everton though, with Sandro and Parker sitting and Rafa, Bale and Modric behind Adebayor.