The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Veteran Sweden defender Olof Mellberg says he will retire from international football after the European Championship. The former Aston Villa man, 34, has won 112 caps for his country.

Desperately sad news. At least next season we get Kasper Gorkss and his also-wonderful beard.

Hardly desperately sad, but I have always liked the guy as a player and it is always a bit sad to see good guys pack it in At least he is going out at the top.

More like, Ashley Young gets chopped in half and the protests are waved away.

Don't build a reputation for diving then. It's happened to Suarez. But, like Matt, if this happened I would laugh myself silly for weeks.

• Admin

Robin van Persie has been named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year. Deserved, unfortunately <_<

QPR have appointed Mike Rigg as the club's new technical director. The move reunites the 43-year-old with R's boss Mark Hughes - the two worked together at Manchester City, Blackburn and Wales.