The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Plenty of brummies in the house, then? Bless. :blush:

As former champions I think Blackburn would be a bigger loss to the Premier League than say, Villa.

We created the football league. Show your respect.

Lol.

Point is, Villa have been mediocre for years and I stand by that. To even attempt to put them on a par with the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool is absurd.

Sheffield FC get my respect for creating the rulebook around which the game is played. Villa, well, any citations on your comment?

Edited by Manifest
  • Like 1

It was a letter from William McGregor, a Director at Aston Villa, to four other clubs on March 2, 1888, which led to the formation of the world's first league football competition. "I beg to tender the following suggestion," McGregor, a Perthshire-born draper, wrote to Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion, "that ten or twelve of the most prominent clubs in England combine to arrange home-and-away fixtures each season…"

Three weeks later, on the eve of West Brom's victory over Preston in the FA Cup final, a meeting was held at Anderton's Hotel in Fleet Street, London, to discuss McGregor's plans. A further meeting on April 17 at the Royal Hotel, Manchester, agreed the name 'The Football League', and the first season kicked off on September 8 with 12 founder members.

Football had descended into a disorganised shambles in the years after the Football Association ended the practice of illegal payments to players, by permitting professionalism in 1885. Fixture lists, comprising FA Cup ties and 'friendly' matches, did not produce the regular income the clubs required, and this unfavourable scenario prompted McGregor to pen his letter.

"Every year it is becoming more and more difficult for football clubs of any standing to meet their friendly engagements and even arrange friendly matches," he wrote. "The consequence is that at the last moment, through cup-tie interference, clubs are compelled to take on teams who will not attract the public.

"My object in writing to you at present is merely to draw your attention to the subject, and to suggest a friendly conference to discuss the matter more fully. I would take it as a favour if you would kindly think the matter over, and make whatever suggestions you deem necessary."

It was not until after the season had started that The Football League Board finally settled on the two-points-for-a-win, one-point-for-a-draw system that would remain for nearly a century, and be adopted worldwide. Initially it was proposed there would be just one point for a win.

In that inaugural season, Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Preston and West Bromwich were joined by Everton, Burnley, Accrington, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Notts County, Derby County and Stoke as The League's founder members.

I wasn't joking. Football didn't start in 1992, and Villa are one of the most successful and largest clubs in the country. We've been mediocre for years? Apart from the three sixth placed finishes in a row when we were battling for 4th? Is THAT mediocre? How's your mediocre season going? :/

FAO Manifest

peter+withe+%28crop%29.jpg

That's Peter Withe winning the European Cup (you know it as the Champions League) with Villa in 1981. Add to that their 7 league titles (5th in the all time list by the way) and just shut up.

He'd probably shit his pants if he ever found out about the Anglo-Italian Cup...

Boourns. Can't I just have something about Stuart Ripley? I love Blackburn really, based on an awesome stadium tour in 95 where they for some reason forgot to take our group through the trophy room, but did show us a cleaning cupboard.

• Like 2

I wasn't joking. Football didn't start in 1992, and Villa are one of the most successful and largest clubs in the country. We've been mediocre for years? Apart from the three sixth placed finishes in a row when we were battling for 4th? Is THAT mediocre? How's your mediocre season going? :/

Thanks for taking the time to share a bit of history but there is no need to be condescending. I have already highlighted Villa's best form in the modern era, when they were competing with us and Spurs. As I said Spurs progressed, we went down and Villa did NOTHING...

Perhaps I was naive by saying Blackburn would be a bigger loss to the Premier League. I hold my hands up and admit that I wasn't aware of Villa's history but the fact of the matter is Blackburn have won the Premier League and if that stands for nothing then you may as well tell Sheikh Mansour not to bother.

He'd probably shit his pants if he ever found out about the Anglo-Italian Cup...

Zzzzz

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to share a bit of history but there is no need to be condescending. I have already highlighted Villa's best form in the modern era, when they were competing with us and Spurs. As I said Spurs progressed, we went down and Villa did NOTHING...

Perhaps I was naive by saying Blackburn would be a bigger loss to the Premier League. I hold my hands up and admit that I wasn't aware of Villa's history but the fact of the matter is Blackburn have won the Premier League and if that stands for nothing then you may as well tell Sheikh Mansour not to bother.

Aston Villa 7 1893–94, 1895–96, 1896–97, 1898–99, 1899–00, 1909–10, 1980–81

Blackburn 3 1911–12, 1913–14, 1994–95

Oh, and we've been runners up ten times. They've been runners up once. But yay 1992 started football!

Oh, and.. you went down and Villa have regressed similarly. I don't get your point, at all. That you regressed severely quicker than we did, and thus.. you're a better club? Right.