King Ellis

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon

It's like Starship Troopers: The Game

earthdefenseinsect_head.jpg

Format: Xbox 360/PS3

NA Release: July 5th 2011

UK Release: July 8th 2011

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="

http://www.youtube.com/embed/98xlNQXPCP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Americans, celebrate the freedom of your nation by taking to the streets of New Detroit to destroy the invading forces of The Ravagers! Alien forces have invaded and it's up to you (and your friends) to wipe them off the face of the Earth, only, this isn't little green men. We're talking giant bugs straight of a 1950's B-Movie. Hope you brought some bug spray...

5583642699_544447449b_z.jpg

"This is Ranger 4, we've spotted a large alien life form here."

"Ranger 4, what kind of life form?"

"A bug, a very huge bug!"

If you're anything like me and have a fear of spiders or insects in general, this could very well be your worst nightmare. In Earth Defence Force 2017, the previous game in the series released on Xbox 360 in 2007, the sheer sight of a horde of giant alien spiders bouncing towards you, spraying you with their webbing was terrifying. Things only got worse when you turned around to see then landing right on top of you. Now Insect Armageddon takes things further, taking the ants (HAIL ANTS!) and spiders from 2017 and adding in ticks, wasps and other nasties. But that's not all...

5583714325_3b14228b21.jpg

"Did we wake you mother ship?"

The aliens don't just have bugs at their disposal, prepare to battle against giant robots and various space ships that will either drop bugs on your head or shoot you with their lasers. How can you possibly hope to fight against these things?

Earth-Defense-Force-IA01.jpg

"Do you like death? Then die!"

Luckily the EDF has access to some 300 weapons: Assault rifles, rocket launchers, missle launchers, sniper rifles, grenades, grenade launchers, shotguns, flame throwers, energy weapons...what more could you need? How about pilotable veichles such as tanks and mech suits? You can also choose from one of four different armour types: Trooper, Jet, Tactical and Battle.

Trooper has access to more weapons than the other armour types and has upgradable abilities that allow it to function as a good, all-around unit.

Jet utilises a jetpack to allow it's users to take to the skies, a feature long overdue since EDF graced the PS2. However, it offers the least protection out of all the different armour types.

Tactical serves as something of a support class, able to deploy turrets, mines and radar.

Battle is a veritable walking tank, able to use some of the most powerful weapons around.

3202_EDF.png

"Give me some ammo!"

"Do it yourself."

For the first time, you can take the fight online and join with up to two of your friends to fight through the entire campaign in 3 person co-op. Or join a buddy on the couch for some 2 person split screen co-op. There is also a Survival mode (Only the Trooper armour is availible in Survival) where you can be joined by up to five others to face wave after wave of bugs in 6 person online Survival. How long will you survive?

Jet%20Armor_Ticks--article_image.jpg

"What's it gonna take to BRING YOU DOWN?!?!"

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon is availible this July for Xbox 360 and PS3. It is a budget title so expect to pay $40 US or around £25-30 (Gaming exchange rates FTW!). It can currently be pre-ordered for £20 (Inc P&P) at Sendit.

Want to sharpen your skills ahead of next months armageddon or just get a taste of what you're in for? Why not try Earth Defence Force 2017 on Xbox 360 which may or may not be difficult to find. Expect to pay around 10-20$/£. It is also availible on the Xbox 360 Games on Demand service for $20/£15. Or be a little more adventurous and seek out the PS2 title Global Defense Force.

Remember the battle cry, shout it out loud when you're walking around in public places: EDF! EDF!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What follows is a video review of Earth Defence Force 2017, the previous game in the series released in 2007 on Xbox 360.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ntDyECvmnIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VL33_R4O8KU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just the amount of effort you put into this post makes me not want to get it.

Hang on.

OH MI GOD DIS GAME COME OUT SOON AND IT GOOD AND EVERYTHING, WHO BUY IT?

That work?

Ah man, I remember the side-scrolling SNES game; that takes me WAY back. And 'budget' is a good price to pay.

Very interesting. Very interesting indeed....

• 2 weeks later...

No PS3 EWB'ers getting this? TKz? Anyone? :crying:

I didn't even know about it until just this second. I'll wait until the reviews are out to see some gameplay footage and then maybe pick it up if I can find it. It doesn't come out over here until the 16th (?) anyway, so it'll be a while.

Actually fuck it, for the price and the fact I get paid a few days later, I'll probably pick it up. Looks like it could be good fun online.