The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo, Korra.

I would have enjoyed it if the series ended with the bending being taken away being permanent, but I enjoyed it just as much with it being given back.

Enjoyed the backstory to Amon as well. Explains why he was able to withstand Tarrlok's Bloodbending. I was left in shock when Tarrlok blew up the boat.

When Amon went to take Korra's bending away, I was expecting her to go into the Avatar state then and there. So glad they waited until the end of the episode to do it. It gave me chills seeing all the Avatar's of past appear, and I let out some tears when Korra's eyes lit up.

I wasn't left disappointed by the finale. Incredible.

Edited by Vitamin E

Holy shit, I just... that finale left me speechless.

I just... wow. I had high hopes for Korra, but... they've easily surpassed them. Just an amazing finale to a fantastic first season.

• 3 weeks later...

So there's going to be a lot more Korra, which is nice.

I never commented on the season finale. I will do so now; the Amon stuff was awesome, the action was fun, stunt-casting Dante Basco as Iroh was awkward, the teen romance stuff was terrible, the ending wasn't as well-executed as it could have been but they didn't know if they'd be getting more than one season, so I get it.

So, watched all 12 episodes today...really enjoyed it! Korra is great, very different from Aang. Bolin is amazing. The villians were good. Although, I don't like how everything was wrapped up nice and neat at the end there. But, just a minor complaint.

• 2 years later...

*dusts off thread*

Well, the finale has happened. And man do I feel sad knowing it's all over.

Such a great show throughout, and Nickelodeon really shit the bed by throwing this series into deathslots in the final seasons.

Final episode wasn't the best in series history, but it really did a good job at closing the book and leaving a sliver of hope for the future.

Zelda Williams was absolutely terrific as Kuvira, and both her and Henry Rollins did phenomenal jobs portraying the two final bad guys of the previous two series...

I really really hope this franchise gets picked up for a third series, preferably with the same creative staff as Korra, they have done a great job, and the Avatar franchise and lore is just too deep to leave it at two series.

See, I disagree. I thought Korra was ultimately a little disappointing in book 1, in part because I was holding them to really high standards, and an actively kind of bad one in book 2 (though it had Varrick and everything Varrick did was amazing so that's okay). Hilariously, it then got really good in earnest just as Nickelodeon started to screw them over, and so the final, best season was relegated to online viewing only (and half of the time it was like "oh you're Comcast huh? Nah you can't watch this" so I had to go to shitty streaming anime sites).

That finale, holy shit. That bumped it up into my top ten on my Favorite Shows ballot.

I can't wait to see what Bryke do next. To be honest, I hope it's something entirely new.

See, I disagree. I thought Korra was ultimately a little disappointing in book 1, in part because I was holding them to really high standards, and an actively kind of bad one in book 2 (though it had Varrick and everything Varrick did was amazing so that's okay). Hilariously, it then got really good in earnest just as Nickelodeon started to screw them over, and so the final, best season was relegated to online viewing only (and half of the time it was like "oh you're Comcast huh? Nah you can't watch this" so I had to go to shitty streaming anime sites).

That finale, holy shit. That bumped it up into my top ten on my Favorite Shows ballot.

I can't wait to see what Bryke do next. To be honest, I hope it's something entirely new.

I can get why you didn't like 1, it was a slow start and it took a very long time to get underway proper, and with it being held up against the final season of TLA, it really wasn't a fair fight.

Season 2 also took long to really get underway, and the love triangle stuff between Korra, Mako, Asami made some spots excruciating to watch because it was just so... stupid, really. But Season 2 gave us one of the best story arcs ever with the origins stuff with Avatar Wan.

Season 3 and beyond, the did away with the cutesy stuff of love triangles, and focused more on the action. Of course, the big-bad's of S3 and S4 were just so well done that it gripped me completely throughout.

I never saw the original airing of TLA, so I never experienced in full how great it was, I binge watched it before watching Korra... But as I waited every week for new episodes of Korra, it just leaves me feeling empty now that it's all over.

I just hope that the franchise gets revived in the future, like Ruki said, the world is so well fleshed out, yet so open to add more history to it, it would be a real waste to toss it all away. I just hope we won't have to wait another 4 years for a third sequel.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I largely dug Day of the Colossus, but the finale fell a little flat for me. The ending in particular just didn't feel right, I never felt like Asami and Korra had the chemistry for a romantic relationship, and even the subtle hints throughout the season just didn't do a good enough job of changing that feeling.

Besides Asami's father dying (which got criminally under covered) and Mako's bad ass moment inside the Colossus' heart, it never felt like there was any real danger for the group, and even the former was more of a cheap "well, it's the finale so we have to kill someone" than an actual emotional moment.

I dunno, I think I was just hoping for something with more emotional resonance than we got. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, and if that's how the franchise ends then I'm not going to complain, but for Korra's story it just didn't feel like it did her the justice that her massive character growth deserved.

Yeah, the finale was relatively lackluster. Especially the way that Korra "defeated" Kuvira. She already is a pretty weak bad guy compared to the other three. I like that they made Korra reason with her instead of going super sayin like in the other finales but the way she surrendered in less than a minute was totally out of charackter for her. Especially after they established that she was even willing to take her lover's life to accomplish her goals. An her motivation? Mommy and Daddy issues? Seriously That is the best you have to offer?

But the last few minutes completely makes up for everything that came before. It takes balls to do what they did (any everyone who claims that they are "just friends" is being purposefully dense) and I'm happy they did it.

I felt like the first half of the season dragged out Korra's injury and the second half rushed to the ending. It was particularly disappointing that her reconnection to the older avatars took two seconds in the spirit world and a quick explanation of "I was with you the whole time" from Raava. They'd made such a big deal about it in the past and then it wasn't used or mentioned at all afterwards. A conversation with Aang about making Kuvira surrender instead of outright killing her would've helped connect some lose strings.

I can get why you didn't like 1, it was a slow start and it took a very long time to get underway proper, and with it being held up against the final season of TLA, it really wasn't a fair fight.

Season 2 also took long to really get underway, and the love triangle stuff between Korra, Mako, Asami made some spots excruciating to watch because it was just so... stupid, really. But Season 2 gave us one of the best story arcs ever with the origins stuff with Avatar Wan.

Season 3 and beyond, the did away with the cutesy stuff of love triangles, and focused more on the action. Of course, the big-bad's of S3 and S4 were just so well done that it gripped me completely throughout.

I never saw the original airing of TLA, so I never experienced in full how great it was, I binge watched it before watching Korra... But as I waited every week for new episodes of Korra, it just leaves me feeling empty now that it's all over.

I just hope that the franchise gets revived in the future, like Ruki said, the world is so well fleshed out, yet so open to add more history to it, it would be a real waste to toss it all away. I just hope we won't have to wait another 4 years for a third sequel.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Avatar Wan episode, which is probably the best single episode of the series.

With season 1, part of it was that all of the romance felt unbelievably shoehorned in. None of the characters were well-defined or compelling enough. The Korra/Asami/Mako love triangle was a giant albatross around the show's neck and they ultimately cut out the right one in the end. Mako's best use by far was as Wu's foil, and the fact that he was relatively out of focus gave what he did in the finale more weight.

Re: elsewhere, I think a couple things got rushed that probably wouldn't have if they hadn't basically been screwed by Nickelodeon into having to do a clip show episode. They should have killed off Bataar Jr., though. Nobody important was going to die, just like nobody important in A:tLA died in the finale, but he was expendable and would have given Kuvira's stepping down from the ledge (which I thought was ultimately logical; she'd been defeated on every single front, and that was before being sucked into the fucking spirit world) more weight.

Thinking about the Avatar Wan episode got me to wondering - since it seems unlikely they'll produce any more full seasons, would anyone else like to see them just do TV movies in the Avatarverse every now and then featuring different Avatars? I feel like Avatar is the perfect universe for that kind of story telling. I'd love to see a Kiyoshi based one.

I was expecting something like that to be announced post-series. And with the way they portrayed it in the series finale, I'm perfectly cool with it.

It wasn't blunt, it was subtle and it was respectful to viewers of all ages, and also the show they made. And it just shows how powerful you can make a scene where no words are spoken, and the only action that precedes it is two people holding hands and looking each other into their eyes.

And even almost a week later, I'm still feeling depressed that the series has ended. Probably the heaviest post-finale depression I've had, and it's from an animated series of all things... I just don't want it to end, there's so much more they can do with the characters, and with the franchise.

Whilst a bunch of episodes fell flat over the years, the strength of the overarching writing has always been strong throughout... I'm sure they could even make an entire series in the Avatar world without an avatar as main character. With the way they developed the side characters during both Avatar series, they can get you interested in just about anyone.