Football Manager 2012

Lineker

Oh, oh, oh.

Second last matchday of the season and we're at home to Telstar with league leaders NEC at home to Sparta. NEC are five points ahead going into the fixture, but manage to lose 1-2 meaning a victory would be fucking epic for us.

28 minutes in we are 3-0 up and absolutely coasting - nearly level on goal difference with NEC. Then we fucking well concede three goals, and were lucky not to concede another.

I throw everything at them, and Maceo Rigters comes up with the winner in the 88th minute!

It has basically fucked us still, because even if NEC draw the last match and we win our goal difference is +35 and they sit at +38. So we basically need them to lose to Telstar, who we just edged.

EDIT: Telstar drew 2-2 despite going up twice. We won 2-1. Second on goal difference, and now have to play play-offs to earn promotion. :(

EDIT AGAIN: Unfortunately my game pooed itself inside the first five minutes of my KNVB Cup final (it was 0-0, I swear!) and I hadn't saved before the match against Telstar. I went on holiday for the last two games this time, and the title race was much less exciting as NEC won it with a game to spare. In the game against Den Bosch, we ended up winning 5-3.

Depressingly, my Congolese striker who had gone 18 appearances without a goal scored four, and I didn't get to witness it.

Screenshot2012-06-12at103716AM.png

gagf. Actually cannot believe this cup run. The game shitting itself when it did probably helped, as we scored inside the first minute. I feel a little bit cheated by that, but not complaining with the €2 million we won.

We also won our first round of the promotion/relegation play-offs 5-0 on aggregate against Dordrecht. Coming up against 17th placed Eredivisie side Volendam next who we struggled against in the Eerste Divisie last season.

My second fixture, home vs QPR... and 0-2. Loss at home, but only by two. Progress!

I can't figure out how to make Hoolahan (Attacking Midfielder) pass more to my strikers in tactics. I did however have a private chat with him about it, and he listened.

However, when I Morison he needs to find the net sometime this season, he flipped out and wondered why I was singling him out. Well maybe because you sucked against QPR and had a fucking 5.6 rating. Perhaps my immediately demoting the last guy who played that shit into reserves didn't make an example.

Meanwhile I'm downplaying creative freedom and fluidity, hopefully this will set things straight. My cup match will be a gauge for this shift in philosophy.

Are you going to give us updates of every match? :P

Got Vancouver into the CONCACAF Champions League semis again. We beat Olimpia (Hon) 5-0 on argigate. Sadly Clifford and Lichaj picked up injuries. Clifford will be out for three months with a pulled hamstring. Lichaj only a couple of weeks. Atlas in the semis with a final either against our MLS rivals DC or Santos Laguna.

Even as bloody world champions this game thinks us getting to then semis is a major deal because we were not expected to get this far. We won the competion last year! We're World Champions! You would think it wouldn't surprise people that we are semi finalists but apparently.... <_<

Well, no. Just venting my frustration because I can't seem to figure out why my strikers are repeatedly passing to my attacking midfielder to shoot and not the other way around like I've been trying to get and I'm positive that this is the main reason why I keep losing.

Well, no. Just venting my frustration because I can't seem to figure out why my strikers are repeatedly passing to my attacking midfielder to shoot and not the other way around like I've been trying to get and I'm positive that this is the main reason why I keep losing.

Who is set as your playmaker, and who is set as your target man?

Currently? Neither striker is a target man. I had them both set as Complete Forwards with bias to Attack, but making them Poachers now. For the AM I've tried pretty much every role that allows a supporting style.

EDIT- It probably doesn't help that one of my strikers is staggeringly mediocre except for his amazing leadership skills.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

It is probably because you've got your forwards operating in roles like target men or trequartistas. Those are attack minded players who make goals they don't always score them.

I normally play with a poacher and a target man or a trequartista (normally Wilson Morelo as poacher and Baky Kone as trequartista). One players job is to create goals for his partner the other to score them.

When I play with one up front it's with fast wingers in Adu and Najar to supply a loan poacher Morelo. Behind them is then a pretty defensive central midfield triangle of a DM and CM and a BWM.

It's best to assign whatever roles suit your players best and you'll get what's best out of them.

I meant in regards to your tactics - you can set your teams 'playmaker' and 'target man'. This affects who gets the ball and looks to create chances and the other affects who they're going to try to feed the ball to.

I meant in regards to your tactics - you can set your teams 'playmaker' and 'target man'. This affects who gets the ball and looks to create chances and the other affects who they're going to try to feed the ball to.

Really? Where do you do this, because I've only seen those as positional roles?

Erm, I've not got it open at the moment, but it's on the screen where you can set all your tactics --> Philosophy, passing style, counter attack etc etc. From main menu you would click on tactics, then I think it's squad instructions?