Football Manager 2012

Lineker

Right. So I'm playing as Palermo against Stoke in the Europa League and they appear to be having an injury crisis. They have 5 subs (3 of which are keepers), no strikers at all and for some weird reason, Robert Huth is their starting keeper. o_O

I bought this game like 6 weeks ago and I've really struggled to get into a game, but I've got a Spurs game going on at the moment that will hopefully last longer than like 2 months. Just about figured out team talks too after my players seemingly looking at eachother as if to say "who's this prick?" whenever I said something during friendlies.

Playing a staggered 4-1-3-1-1 formation. When everybody's back I shouldn't be too bad in terms of depth but a couple of back-up full backs would be nice so I guess that's what I'll be looking for in January.

I've managed to keep it going a fair bit but haven't had much time to play over the last few weeks. In late November at the moment. Joint top but third on goal difference, five points in front of Chelsea in fifth, who unfortunately have a game in hand. The Kaboul and Dawson have been pretty decent at the back, but I'm still gonna look for a centre back with more pace. My ultimate aim will be to slot Caulker in Dawson's position but I'm not sure he'll be ready just yet, so might look for a decent 26/27 year old centre back to get me by for a couple of seasons. I'll need to bring in quite a few anyway, as Gallas is too old, King too unfit, Nelsen a combination of both and Khumalo is just a big question mark. Walker's been decent on the right and he's chipped in with a few assists but I'm unconvinced by BAE and I've bought Diego Renan for 9m to hopefully grow into the left back role in January. Also coming in will be young Argentinian winger Roberto Pereyra for 4.7m from Udinese to hopefully provide competition to Aaron Lennon, and I'm also in negotiations with Villarreal for fellow young Argie and centre-back Mateo Musacchio, because I need new CBs as I mentioned earlier, he's young and good, and I like the realism of bringing in multiples of foreigners whose nationality I don't already have at the club so they have somebody to talk to! Solid defensive stats, decent pace and passing too - the only downside is his aerial ability but hopefully I'll be able to make a profit on him in a couple of seasons anyway.

Stand-out performers so far have been Bale and strangely Defoe, who leads my scoring charts by some distance. Adebayor is okay I guess but inconsistent. The only major weakness in my staggered formation seems to be VDV's AMCL role, because he does fuck all every game. Kranjcar's managed to knock out quite a few assists from there but not VDV. I may start to experiment in games against weak opposition with Dos Santos there, because he's strong at the areas VDV seems to be lacking in.

I had this with Coventry in a game with Plymouth late in the season as the 2 clubs battled for promotion. I beat them in the game, but had 5 or 6 players injured, all with 3-4 week minimum absences, all key players for me, which eventually saw them get automatic promotion over us. We went up in the end through the play-offs, in the Championship next season against I set my tackling to hard but didn't quite get the Leeds-Derby level of vengeful violence I was hoping for.