More news on rumored Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash

ROC

Freddy and Jason...and Ash?

Tue Aug 17,10:25 PM ET

By Joal Ryan

At this rate, Godzilla and Gamera may be getting sniffs from development execs.

Days after the pairing of rival screen monsters in Alien vs. Predator topped the weekend box office, E! has confirmed filmmaker Sam Raimi is in talks with New Line Cinema about loaning the studio the zombie slayer from his Evil Dead movies to costar in a three-way, big-screen bout, Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash.

New Line has been looking for a way to sequelize its 2003 hit Freddy vs. Jason since even before the movie grossed $114.3 million worldwide.

A franchise-melding flick on its own, Freddy vs. Jason teamed psycho Freddy Krueger from the Nightmare on Elm Street series with hockey-masked madman Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th franchise.

Last August, Creature-Corner.com reported that New Line was considering Evil Dead's Ash for the lineup of a Freddy vs. Jason 2 project.

In March, Freddy vs. Jason director Ronny Yu told the Website he was interested in corralling the three iconic horror characters.

"I would definitely do it," Yu said on Creature-Corner.com. "They're still working on the script. I haven't seen anything yet. I hope they won't work on it for 10 years."

Though Raimi is best known as a director, he would not call the shots on Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, Tuesday's Hollywood Reporter said.

The filmmaker, now graduated to the box-office big leagues thanks to the Spider-Man movies, owns the rights to the Evil Dead characters, having cranked out the original 1979 movie independent of the studio system on a barely there budget of about $350,000.

B-movie legend Bruce Campbell (news) played zombie-besieged Ash Williams in Evil Dead and its two sequels, 1987's Evil Dead 2--Dead by Dawn and 1992's Army of Darkness. The Reporter said Campbell, now 46, would be back in battle if the Freddy vs. et al. deal gets done.

Though it never worked for Ben Affleck (news) and Jennifer Lopez (news), costarring projects seem to work wonders for the careers of long-in-the-fangs genre characters.

Prior to Freddy vs. Jason, Freddy's series bottomed out with 1994's Wes Craven's New Nightmare ($18.1 million at the U.S. box office); Jason's hit a new low with 2002's Jason X ($13.1 million).

Alien and Predator are also benefiting by sharing screen time. AVP scared up $38.3 million in its first three days in theaters. As a solo space bad seed, Alien grossed a disappointing $42.2 million for the entire run of 1997's Alien Resurrection. Predator managed just $30.7 million for 1990's Predator 2.

Other characters in need of box-office boosts who might consider checking their egos at the door: Child's Play's Chucky, Halloween's Michael Myers, the shark from Jaws and Kevin Costner (news).

Bad idea, IMO. Ash has no place whatsoever in this series, and he really doesn't fit into this genre. The movie will just be a bunch of phoned-in one liners, and could serve to alienate hardcore fans of any of the franchises.

Fuck Ash, when will these idiots realise the best film they could make is Jason Vs Michael Myers? That would be the ultimate horror, I don't care what anyone says. They fit each other so much, well they did up until Jason X where they made the huge mistake of turning Jason into like a damn robot style person, idiots. If they ever made Jason Vs Michael, I'd be lining up for the movie a year early :shifty:

Anyway on topic, I think it's a kind of bad idea. Either way if it happens I'll watch it, but I'd much prefere what I said above or another Jason/Freddy movie.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Before long there will be a movie which basically goe like this. Some Millionaire Satanist will gather all the bad asses of the underworld , jason , freddy , michael , the leprechaun , chuckie , Hell raiser and etc to take part ina tournament against everyday heroes , Ahs and other teenage fools.

i swear the movie industry will think of everything but I will still go see the movie :)

I'm against this idea. While they've done everything they can with Freddy and Jason, Ash is a character with plenty of life left in him, and could easily support another Evil Dead movie. That said, I wouldn't want to see it unless Raimi was aboard as director, and given his newly acquired iconic status in Hollywood, I'd call that pretty unlikely. And they'd better make it soon if they do, Bruce Campbell isn't getting any younger.

Oh, and Ronny Yu is still an asshole for what he did to Kane Hodder.

Edited by Heel Turn

I read this on another board, and there was also another review of the basic script (well, a short one). No clue if it was legit or not, but the movie sounded decent.

Edit - Here it is - (NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

As you figured, I have read the script 'treatment' for Freddy vs Jason vs Ash, there were only a couple lines of dialogue, it was basically the story told in storybook form- from the beginning to the final bloody climax. If there is one thing I want you to gain from this review, it's that Freddy vs Jason vs Ash makes up for all of the mistakes in the first film (like missing Freddy kill scenes)!

I must keep this review vague, so New Line doesn't castrate me for real, and use the footage in the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre film- but I'll give you a taste of the forbidden fruits- because Mr. D wants his readers happy!

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash will be one of the greatest horror movies of all time, because the script shows that it understands the characters, the history of each backstory, the cliche's and most of all- the genre.

The most important thing that drives this amazing story is this one fact that has eluded all of our minds- the Necronomicon is in the Voorhees house! Sure you remember, it's in the basement, it appeared in Jason Goes to Hell- now it's all coming back to you, isn't it?

The movie takes place almost directly after Freddy vs Jason, when Freddy winks (yep, the wink was for a reason), the movie wasn't really over- did you really think it would be that easy after 25 years of terror? I'm not going to tell you anything more, except that this is probably one of the coolest 'comebacks' in the history of sequels.

Now Ash, how does he fit into the mix? Quite simply- he wants to destroy the Necronomicon and fulfill his destiny, which was prophesized in the Evil Dead series (the series couldn't end yet, he hasn't achieved his destiny). Well without me giving away the story, somehow Jason, Freddy and the "born under a bad sign" ass-kickin Ash come face to face to face- numerous times. The continuity is genuine and fantastic- every angle was thought out, there are NO plot holes that I can see and everything makes complete sense. It really almost seems like it was masterminded almost a decade ago.

Lets talk Ash: Hes the same old Ashley J. Williams that's been in the first three films- only he's older and sick of playing around. He's on a mission, and when he must make decisions between himself and other outside factors, he almost always chooses 'himself'- typical of Ash.

Jason: He's the same kick-ass Ken Kirzinger looking Jason (a la Jason Lives, the best of the series), only there's a twist, and when you find out this twist- you are going to crap yourselves- no bull!

Freddy: Oh Freddy is pissed this time, and we get to see more of the crazy looking demon Freddy- I'm so excited! He's tricky, cunning, and most of all sadistically funny. But this time Freddy has a new goal, which by the sound of it, is the biggest plan that he has ever concocted!

One reason this movie is going to be a blast is that 2/3 of the movie looks to be as big as- or even bigger than- the battle at the end of Freddy vs Jason. The tone is even more serious, and the pace is quick. There isn't too much time explaining the history of the characters- we pretty much just get a short Ash flashback story- for the goons who've never seen an Evil Dead movie.

There is a new environment, which should quite interesting. The movie takes place around Christmas, so there's snow and ice and everyone is just so cheery!

But most of all, I love the "nods" to each franchise. There is a certain sequence that involved Ash, and the return of his cut off hand, which is by far one of the greatest ideas I've ever heard of; I yelled out loud, "NO FUC#!NG WAY!" It's so hard for me to keep this under wraps, because it is seriously so brilliant.

I promise you, I was afraid that this wouldn't work, but it does. Everything is perfectly packaged and sealed with a pretty (bloody) bow.

This is your new best friend Mr. Disgusting signing off...

Please Note: #1. Do NOT email me any questions, because this is the extent

that I can go, no further.

#2 Kane Hodder as of right now will 100% NOT be

returning as Jason- and Ronny Yu is almost confirmed to direct...

Source: Spygirl, Bloody-Disgusting

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I'll definatly see this movie when it comes out, but here are other eole/creatures that could've been added instead of ash, my friends and family are the ones that came up with these. Michael Myers (Halloween), The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers), Pinhead (Hellraiser), Aliens (Alien), Predator (Predator), and many more, but the one I wanted to see added to the mix was Leatherface.

I'll definatly see this movie when it comes out, but here are other eole/creatures that could've been added instead of ash, my friends and family are the ones that came up with these. Michael Myers (Halloween), The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers), Pinhead (Hellraiser), Aliens (Alien), Predator (Predator), and many more, but the one I wanted to see added to the mix was Leatherface.