EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2011: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AezvF0LeLvY

And now, on to a fairly odd and unexpected first five.

2-BROKE-GIRLS_610.jpg

50. 2 Broke Girls (34 pts, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

mirai-nikki.jpg

49. Mirai Nikki (36 pts, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

steins_gate_review.jpg

48. Steins;Gate (37 pts, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

NCIS-Los-Angeles-Cast.jpg

47. NCIS: Los Angeles (38 pts, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #49)

351065-stephen-fry.jpg

46. QI (38 pts, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2011: You shouldn't throw a gun; they're like scissors.

2 Broke Girls by a long mile. I love Zooey but New Girl I didn't even find worth watching past the first episode. 2 Broke Girls is never really any better than 'okay', but it's got Kat Dennings and occasionally has something that makes me laugh. I found most of the characters in New Girl insufferable other than Zooey.

2 Broke Girls I would say. I love Zoey, but I cannot bring myself to watch that show. If you like or can tolerate Kat's sense of comedy, the show is pretty much filled with it.

One person voted for Whitney. It is not in the top fifty.

Anyway, brief thoughts;

I watched the first episode of 2 Broke Girls and while I did like Kat Dennings and Beth Biers' chemistry, I didn't like anything else about it at all; not the cliche, borderline racist supporting characters (I do love Garrett Morris, though), not the low-hanging fruit hipster jokes written by a fifty year-old who doesn't know actual hipsters (I do love the irony of a show mocking broad hipster stereotypes whilst using a Peter, Bjorn, and John song as its theme music and overusing it to a painful degree). Someday I'll give another episode a shot, maybe. I expect it will rate higher next year because it probably isn't airing in Australia yet.

Never seen either anime, judging from the images I don't really have any desire to. It takes a lot to get me to watch anime nowadays anyway (all I've watched this calendar year is One Piece and Baccano!), I've got too much everything else to watch.

NCIS: LA is a CBS police show so while I've never seen an episode I can safely say I'm not really interested in doing so.

QI, if it aired in the states, I would probably watch a lot. It seems awesome.

• Like 1

2 Broke Girls and NCIS: Everything can fuck right off. Never heard of the 2 anime things. No real appeal there for me. I've never heard of QI but OH MY FUCK STEPHEN FRY. It has to be glorious. Has to be.

[Has anyone here seen Whitney?

I've seen enough to file it under "fuck right off."

2 Broke Girls is alright. I would never watch it on a regular basis but if nothing's really on and I have the choice between it and say some random, shitty reality show on NBC, I'll take 2 Broke Girls.

The rest I haven't seen and I even pride myself about that when it comes to shit like NCIS/NCIS: LA.

2 Broke Girls is alright. I would never watch it on a regular basis but if nothing's really on and I have the choice between it and say some random, shitty reality show on NBC, I'll take 2 Broke Girls.

The rest I haven't seen and I even pride myself about that when it comes to shit like NCIS/NCIS: LA.

2 Broke Girls is awful. I tried watching an episode recently and couldn't get past the typical easy jokes CBS loves to pump into their comedies. And never before has a laugh track been so noticeable and annoying.

Don't watch anime, so I can't judge. Fuck anything NCIS. Don't know the game show.

boredtodeath.png

45. Bored to Death (39 pts, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

leverage-h.png

44. Leverage (41 pts, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

smallville_season8.jpg

43. Smallville (42 pts, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: #42)

Bloodhounds.jpg

42. The Mentalist (43 pts, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

pic_1314752679_1.jpg

41. Misfits (44 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

Next Time, on EWB's Top Fifty TV Shows of 2011: I spent, like, every summer there listening to my creepy great-grandmother bitch about Abraham Lincoln. Apparently slavery was pretty awesome.

I enjoyed Bored to Death's first season (and apparently it got even better in the second) but now that it's been canceled, the last two seasons will probably go unwatched for quite awhile.

I love Leverage. It's a light-hearted (mostly) and easy to watch show that isn't too bad when it comes to its storylines. It's one of the better shows at mixing comedy and drama (albeit, light drama).

Smallville was pretty great but I'm not quite sure if I would list it's 2011 episodes as being part of one of the 50 best shows of the year. That said, a very quality show even though it didn't make my list.

I have no interest in watching The Mentalist as I have no interest in watching a serious version of Psych.

I haven't seen Misfits (or much British TV in general, really) but have been intrigued by it's premise (and the news that Josh Schwartz is going to adapt it for American TV) and may end up giving it a try on Hulu at some point.

And to follow up on a post made by TGC in the voting thread, I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged that Justified hasn't shown up yet.