AT THE DRIVE-IN REUNITE.

ROC

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g4ukI_WBtDg

Video is a bit chopy but sound is in one pice almost all the time. Is that even Omar on the guitar? He looks bored out of his mind.

The guys formerly of Sparta look like they're having a great time. Cedric & Omar? Pretty 'meh', especially Omar. I think I see why this band fractured off.

I don't think Cedric and Omar have been too shy about admitting this is just about money. Probably to finance Omar's bajillion solo albums a year and more Mars Volta albums, since they record multiple albums at a time it seems.

Also, Nochtournaquet looks like it might be the last Mars Volta album for multiple reasons.

1) The sudden breakdown with the keyboardist, Isaiah Owens, who despite recording with them for around ten years wasn't invited to the Omar Rodrguez-Lopez tour (that was the secret Mars Volta tour) before being sacked from the band.

2) The tension to do with Cedric not changing a single lyric since they wrote the songs about two years ago.

I know Cedric and Omar are usually considered to be The Mars Volta, but Owens really brought the overall sound together and it's only lately I've noticed how empty Nochtournaquet sounds without the proggy synths that you see in their other albums. There's still synths, but they're really basic and feel amateurish :/ Sure Omar can play synths, but he's just not that good at them <_<

It's still a good album, but could have been on par with any of their other albums if there was something extra in the background that would justify multiple listens after a point.

Because of this I see it dropping out of loads of top 20 albums of the year by the time December comes around, it just doesn't have any longevity about it.