2012 Major League Soccer Thread

HailtotheYo

I have mixed feelings. It's good that they're cracking down on stuff like diving and unnecessary recklessness but they're not consistent at all on anything.

No they're not at all. I'm looking glass half full though. Given the crap from last year there was absolutely no way they could sit back this year and not do anything. At least now, they're taking action. Yes they have some work to do with getting it right, but damn getting something out of them is better than nothing.

I mean, Shea getting three games for flicking the ball at the linesman ? GTFO, they didn't call a foul or give him a card during the freaking game. It's not like it was one of those "didn't see it at the time" things either. On the flip side though, they're really cracking down on the shit tackles.

Well, Shea's thing should have been a suspension, but three games implies it's on par with Rafa Marquez playing dirty and breaking a guy's clavicle.

Oh thank god. Sure, it's a win at home vs. the second-worst team in the league but it's still a win.

Also, maybe this will help get Nowak fired.

I am all for piling the mockery on the Galaxy. They've become an absolute joke. I hope Donovan gets the Everton deal he so clearly wants so he can get off the sinking ship.

Let it be known that "World Class" Kris Boyd did his part in the Portland/Vancouver draw ...

... and DCU keeps rolling along. I love their ability to just keep coming in matches. NE fought back from 2-0 down but DC found the 3rd goal to take the match. So much fun watching them right now.

Disappointed for the Revs, I've decided that they're my Eastern Conference team because Montreal and Philly are both dead to me, Lee Nguyen is awesome, and Kelyn Rowe is a local boy.

Sounders draw Chivas 1-1 at the HDC. Awful game to watch but I'll live with the result and hope that the break gives us a chance to fully recharge. I expect mostly reserves + Osvaldo Alonso to face the Atlanta Silverbacks next week, and if we win that and Portland wins theirs then nothing but starters for that one.

Using the search funtion on Transfermarkt.de ... leads to the conclusion of retirement league my ass. Also, LOL MLS as an O-30 league as well. I know that many that actually pay attention and aren't taking the piss the whole time know this, but it's fun to see actual numbers show just how much younger the league is in terms of player age than many of the "big" leagues.

21 and under

MLS: 93 (17.19%)

ENG: 69 (13.22%)

GER: 132 (26.29%)

MEX: 76 (16.34%)

SPA: 46 (12.45%)

ITA: 69 (12.45%)

FRA: 116 (21.28%)

NED: 148 (33.04%)

22-25

MLS: 202 (37.34%)

ENG: 142 (27.20%)

GER: 166 (33.07%)

MEX: 176 (37.85%)

SPA: 163 (34.36%)

ITA: 151 (27.26%)

FRA: 170 (31.19%)

NED: 166 (37.05%)

26-30

MLS: 173 (31.98%)

ENG: 199 (38.12%)

GER: 141 (28.09%)

MEX: 140 (30.11%)

SPA: 177 (37.42%)

ITA: 190 (34.30%)

FRA: 168 (30.83%)

NED: 83 (18.53%)

31 and over

MLS: 73 (13.49%)

ENG: 112 (21.46%)

GER: 63 (12.55%)

MEX: 73 (15.70%)

SPA: 87 (18.39%)

ITA: 144 (25.99%)

FRA: 91 (16.70%)

NED: 51 (11.38%)

34 and over

MLS: 22 (4.07%)

ENG: 32 (6.13%)

GER: 17 (3.39%)

MEX: 28 (6.02%)

SPA: 28 (5.92%)

ITA: 62 (11.19%)

FRA: 20 (3.67%)

NED: 18 (4.02%)

God, give it a rest.

... the rest of the soccer world first. See: immediate posts following. Also, reread the third sentence of that post (Y)

Tongue in cheek, sure ... but this is also the freaking MLS thread. If there's one place not to give it a rest or post things like that, it's here. It's not like I'm in the EPL or other soccer threads putting this out there. Oddly enough, I did it simply out of curiosity to see what the numbers really were in regards to the "top/popular" leagues. The results were surprising.

... but hey, we can't all produce "World Class" Kris Boyd (H)

Open Cup matches tonight, most are being streamed through the MLS Club websites. The Dynamo are in town here in San Antonio and most likely Josue Soto will suit up for them ... after suiting up for SA for the first part of this season.

Hahahaha, holy shit! The LA Galaxy are out of the US Open Cup, blowing their third lead in the last calendar week to give up two goals to the Carolina Railhawks in the last fifteen minutes.

EDIT: Columbus Crew are the second MLS team upset in round one, at the hands of the Dayton Dutch Lions. Lots of MLS teams trailing right now so there could be more.

EDIT II: The Chicago Fire, one of the winningest teams in the history of the US Open Cup including making the finals last year, just got upset by the Michigan Bucks in spite of paying a pretty strong lineup. Wow.