2012 Major League Soccer Thread

HailtotheYo

Juninho still has more class and talent than 90% of the MLS :/

Well yeah but that was the same at Lyon. So the saying goes, class is permanent. But at the same time he was physically mediocre in his prime, so he might struggle in that respect against players whose main strengths are power, pace and stamina. As has been said, good signing for an international non-DP slot.

Get over it.

I'll never get over wanting the league to reach a place where this stigma is no longer attached. I won't apologize for it either.

he might struggle in that respect against players whose main strengths are power' date=' pace and stamina.[/quote']

This is my biggest worry for him. If he does (like Jefferson did) then it's just another point and laugh at the MLS move.

I really hope that Merritt's tweet wasn't about Diskerud fucking them over. Although the other part of the tweet is interesting "next option may make more sense anyway."

If this isn't Bieler I'll be very surprised

Its not his shape thats in question, its that hes not particularly quick or strong and will be 38 come kick off. Granted 90% of the league might not have his technique, but a great deal of the native players are physically very imposing. I still think he'll be a good signing, but he'll need help in the centre of the park, especially if theyre chasing results.

Pipico sucks. I'm serious. HE SUCKS.

Yeah, plenty of FCD guys are bashing their heads to the desk on this one. Again though, given all options this is the type of player they could afford. Saw him make two sub appearances for Vasco and didn't really see anything other than he was there.

Home Openers for all clubs

Congrats Philly and TFC, you get the reloaded SKC !

Vancouver gets TFC.

Portland opens with NYRB.

Houston and NYRB get DCU.

Montreal gets TFC.

Step in right direction for development USL-Pro (3rd division) MLS Reserve League Integration ... there's plenty to flesh out and explain, but the fact that it's happening is a good thing.

Oh, and Bieler officially announced at SKC as the new DP. Even with Espinoza gone, they've really attacked this off-season and are looking very good for next year.

My objection is more about being irritating to read over and over again instead of principle, and about it not really helping anything.

In Sounders news, Osvaldo Alonso is doing a one-week training stint at West Ham. Very relieved that it's just training and not a proper trial, but I imagine he's on some teams' radars. I'd much sooner see Montero get sold in the offseason than Alonso if we can avoid it.

New York has re-signed Ryan Meara, because no shit.

Step in right direction for development USL-Pro (3rd division) MLS Reserve League Integration ... there's plenty to flesh out and explain, but the fact that it's happening is a good thing.

This is awesome. I've been hoping for something like this for a long, long time. Actually having MLS development players continue their development in a reasonably competitive environment is a fantastic thing. It's a lot better than some getting the ten runs out as is currently the case for MLS Reserves. Once a player is too old for an Academy position, there's very few professional options available besides riding the bench in MLS. Hopefully, this will lead to further integration between MLS and USL. It might mean that fewer players will go the NCAA route, making the development of players in house rather than drafting them even more important in the long run.

EDIT: I don't really understand what 'nearby' means as far as MLS teams loaning players to a USL affiliate. Personally, I think having full-fledged MLS Reserve teams in the USL is a better idea. I am curious to know what happens now to the MLS U23 squads playing in the PDL. Do they continue? Fold? Basically move up a level? Also, how does this affect the NASL? Will the other USL Pro teams like the arrangement, or will they manoeuver to join the NASL? If the MLS Reserves merge fully, could this even affect the status of NASL as Tier 2 soccer in North America. I know that's a lot of questions -- all of them rhetorical, I assure you -- but there's lots of potential for this move to change the face of North American soccer. I'm excited.

Edited by Sweet Holy Moses

GK Rustu Recber in talks with Philly. Already turned down one offer and talk is that he's wanting 1 to many 0's attached.

Dallas is looking into signing Maryland defender London Woodberry to a Homegrown deal, but that they’ve got South Carolina forward Bradlee Baladez in their cross-hairs as well. They might also finally be rid of Pertuz (thankfully).

Wow, real mess at CHVUSA (yes, it's worse than before) with all of the rumored player movement and essentially become a CHV (the real one) dumping ground. LOTS of people are pissed.

This is awesome. I've been hoping for something like this for a long, long time. Actually having MLS development players continue their development in a reasonably competitive environment is a fantastic thing. It's a lot better than some getting the ten runs out as is currently the case for MLS Reserves. Once a player is too old for an Academy position, there's very few professional options available besides riding the bench in MLS. Hopefully, this will lead to further integration between MLS and USL. It might mean that fewer players will go the NCAA route, making the development of players in house rather than drafting them even more important in the long run.

Eventually, what I think will happen, is that the NCAA will realize the potential and the college game will become part of this set up. Take BYU for instance. They're in the PDL

Some form of integration is what I think is coming. It's insanely positive for both the NCAA and the kids ... and it also helps defray costs for MLS/NASL/whatever clubs if they go this route. Instead of banking full on academies and constructing facilities and all that jazz, use the infrastructure already in place. It leaves many of the mechanisms already in place alone, but will certainly help facilitate the player development.

EDIT: I don't really understand what 'nearby' means as far as MLS teams loaning players to a USL affiliate. Personally, I think having full-fledged MLS Reserve teams in the USL is a better idea. I am curious to know what happens now to the MLS U23 squads playing in the PDL. Do they continue? Fold? Basically move up a level? Also, how does this affect the NASL? Will the other USL Pro teams like the arrangement, or will they manoeuver to join the NASL? If the MLS Reserves merge fully, could this even affect the status of NASL as Tier 2 soccer in North America. I know that's a lot of questions -- all of them rhetorical, I assure you -- but there's lots of potential for this move to change the face of North American soccer. I'm excited.

I agree, but all of the clubs aren't capable of fielding full on reserve squads. That's why it went away in the first place and why it is very limited now. A combination though, would be ideal for the moment (IE - Harrisburg is Philly's reserve side which has the Harrisburg players, as well as being the permanent home for Philly reserve players).

NASL is a curious one. Honestly I don't see them being affected largely in the long run. The "top" guys will still be loaned out to NASL clubs as it is clearly the 2nd best option in terms of competition. This won't change that. This is mostly about the gap that exists right now between the 8yr old and the 18yr old, and then what that 18yr old does for the next 4yrs. It's the biggest hole in our soccer set up.