DE Ogunleye to Chicago for WR Booker

Guest seattlebandfan9

Guest seattlebandfan9

Miami trades Ogunleye to Bears for Booker

NFL.com wire reports 

MIAMI (Aug. 21, 2004) -- The Chicago Bears acquired Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye from the Miami Dolphins on Saturday, Aug. 21, for receiver Marty Booker and a third-round draft choice in 2005.

The deal was contingent on Ogunleye reaching a contract agreement with the Bears, and he accepted a six-year deal, agent Drew Rosenhaus said.

Ogunleye, who led the AFC with 15 sacks last season and made the Pro Bowl for the first time, had been unsigned and at a stalemate in negotiations with Miami since May.

"He's going to be a hard guy to replace," Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas said. "I hate to lose a great player like Wale, but I like Wale, and I know he got what he wanted. They wouldn't give it to him here."

For the Dolphins, the deal shores up a receiving corps depleted by injuries, including David Boston's season-ending knee injury. The Bears have been seeking to upgrade their pass rush, and starting end Alex Brown has been sidelined this summer by a sprained calf muscle.

"You know how important those pass rushers are," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. "We'd much rather have to address the receiver situation than the pass rusher, and we like our young receivers."

Booker wasn't in uniform for the Bears' preseason game against San Francisco. A possession receiver, he had 100 catches for 1,071 yards in 2001, and 97 for 1,189 yards in 2002, when he made Pro Bowl. He missed three games with ankle injury last season and was limited to 52 receptions for 715 yards.

Booker was a third-round draft pick in 1999 from Northeast Louisiana. Ogunleye signed with Miami as an undrafted free agent after playing at Indiana.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Guest Takayamanofear

Being a Bears fan I understand it but it is really going hurt our passing game. Booker was a great reciver for the bears now we have Justin Gage and David Terrell (yikes).

Guest kijlhumt

I would have rather seen them use the Ogunleye chip to get a running back than another receiver.

Granted, they just lost Boston, but Travis Minor isn't going to do a goddamn thing.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Well rumor has it if the Bills RB situation stays as it is, and the player that isnt starting demands to be traded, whether it be Travis Henry or (ost likely) Travis McGahee, that the Dolphins may try to trade for them.

BTW, dragon, Dez White is a Falcon :P

Guest Takayamanofear

I'm guessing the Bears' coaching staff are going to rely more on the defense stopping opponents scoring more than us, rather than us trying to outscore opponents. It's not good for the Bears, Booker was our vet receiver, it's got to unnerve Grossman a little too, seeing as his best target is gone. Dez White and David Terrell aren't completely useless though. And Urlacher needs as many good D-Liners as possible.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Bears could still have the opportunity to pick up a Quincy Wilson from Cleveland, they might be able to get Keenan McCardell now, Darrell Jackson from Seattle, Plaxico Burress from the Steelers....i mean there are still possibilities for the Bears.

Guest seattlebandfan9

This is giving the Bears a better look on a defense. If they can get a decent running game and maybe pick up another reciever, although it really isn't that nesscaray, then they could make a run for the division title.

The NFC North is going to be tight this year.