Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Alot of people over rate Carrick.

In the role he plays for Spurs he is average, thing is he is really great going forward yet he plays way too deep for my liking. Diarra is a better DM than Carrick, so if we get £14m and put it towards a Diarra bid ill be very happy.

Makelele isn't the fastest, can't really head the ball or isn't a particularly crunching tackler of the ball - but he's undoubtedly the best defensive midfielder in the Premiership. Why? Because he's disciplined and keeps his play simple.

I have no doubt that Michael Carrick can make the step up, hopefully its with Tottenham, and could easily anchor an England midfield (minus Beckham).

Firstly, I didn't say he couldn't anchor England's midfield, I just said he wouldn't.

Realistically, Beckham's not going to be dropped. In a footballing sense he's the captain and in the business sense he's the leading figure as far as merchandise is concerned. It'd take a manager with much more balls than McClaren or Sven to drop him from the starting line-up. Same goes for Lampard and Gerrard, who's club form alone guarentees them a place with England. With that, my point still stands that looking at things from a realistic view, Carrick's little chance barring any serious injury, of making his way into the team.

Secondly, I've gotta disagree with your comparisons to Makelele.

He and Carrick are two entirely different players, both in two contrasting teams. Makelele is, as you rightfully said, the best defensive midfielder in the premiership, but only because of the system that Chelsea play. Carrick doesn't have the same impact, regardless of what comparisons between the two can be drawn.

Carrick > Diarra.

And public enemy; Who else is there, that we can realistically get, that's better than Carrick?

Riquelme? Diarra? Zokora? Hahahaha. No.

There's plenty thats better than Carrick out there. People just favour him because they're used to seeing him week after week when they've limited knowledge on anyone playing overseas. To me, Carrick is slow, poor in the air and not the greatest of tacklers. Although he's got premiership experience (which is important), he's untested in Europe and has no realistic chance of working his way into his Nation's starting XI. I doubt he could make the step-up.

Don't get me wrong, I still rate him as a player but he's just not the target I'd be after when theres others out there that offer much more. Who? Riquelme's an attacking midfielder, so I've no idea why you've mentioned him. But of the others, I'd sooner take them than Carrick even if there is more of a risk involved.

I mentioned Riquelme because he's another player we've been linked with. I am aware of his position thanks.

As for Carrick, meh... agree to disagree.

To be honest, Carrick is what England need given their performances in the last 2 games. We saw yesterday, when Lennon was brought on, Beckham dropping back in front of the back 4 to play the holding role, but he constantly drifts out wide and at points he and Lennon were tripping over each other almost on the right flank.

Play Carrick in the holding role, and you've got somebody who can pickpocket attackers as they come forward, make great runs and passes, can switch the ball out to the wingers, and generally make an extreme nuisance of himself in midfield. Yesterday, Lampard looked lacklustre and Gerrard only switched on in the last 20 or so minutes, and neither of them is exactly a defensive or holding midfielder.

Obviously it'll never happen, but I'd suggest dropping Beckham, playing Carrick in the hole in front of the back 4, and having a 3-man main midfield of Cole, Lampard, and Gerrard.

Alternatively, we could adopt the Brazilian style 4-2-2-2, which is an awesome formation (or at least it would be if Ronaldo wasn't so fat).

That way, you have Carrick and Beckham, then Lampard and Gerrard, then whoever's fit upfront.

Edited by Sephiroth Clone

• Admin

Ivory Coast midfielder Didier Zokora claims to have sealed a move to Tottenham Hotspur from French side St Etienne.

The 25-year-old has been a target for several sides in England, even before he impressed for the Elephants in the World Cup finals in Germany.

Zokora told The News of the World: "It's done. I am a Tottenham player now. The two clubs have reached an agreement and I can't wait.

"In my mind I'm already a Tottenham player. I've not spoken to anyone from the club as my agent has conducted all the talks, but I am happy.

"Tottenham were the ones who made it concrete and from the moment I knew I would be a first-team regular, I didn't think twice.

"I chose Tottenham because they are going places and I was assured I would get plenty of chances to show what I can do.

"Tottenham proved to me that they are improving as a team and have the ambition to go much higher."

Another midfielder....

Edited by Messiah-Dice

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Carrick the key fo José

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes that Michael Carrick should be retained in the midfield holding role for England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

Spurs star Carrick is expected to drop to the bench after impressing against Ecuador, with Owen Hargreaves taking his place and Gary Neville returning at right-back.

However, Mourinho feels that Carrick would be a big asset for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side against Portugal.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "England are much more compact and solid with Michael Carrick and this, in my opinion, is the way to play in difficult matches.

"Without Carrick, (Frank) Lampard and (Steven) Gerrard have too much responsibility in the building of the first phase.

"So they are losing the possibility to get into areas where they have greater freedom, areas where they can kill the opposition in the last 25 metres of the pitch.

"Carrick is now the link, but I believe he needs more personality.

"He must feel he has the status and responsibility he has on the pitch at Tottenham, where he is king of the first phase, so he can give Lampard and Gerrard the freedom."

Heh, even the tosser has more sense than Sven.

Carrick the key fo José

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes that Michael Carrick should be retained in the midfield holding role for England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

Spurs star Carrick is expected to drop to the bench after impressing against Ecuador, with Owen Hargreaves taking his place and Gary Neville returning at right-back.

However, Mourinho feels that Carrick would be a big asset for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side against Portugal.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "England are much more compact and solid with Michael Carrick and this, in my opinion, is the way to play in difficult matches.

"Without Carrick, (Frank) Lampard and (Steven) Gerrard have too much responsibility in the building of the first phase.

"So they are losing the possibility to get into areas where they have greater freedom, areas where they can kill the opposition in the last 25 metres of the pitch.

"Carrick is now the link, but I believe he needs more personality.

"He must feel he has the status and responsibility he has on the pitch at Tottenham, where he is king of the first phase, so he can give Lampard and Gerrard the freedom."

Heh, even the tosser has more sense than Sven.

Hargreaves is better off the ball. Carrick fits better into the possession game we should be playing against Portugal, and that the 4-5-1 formation requires to work.

Not to mention that Carrick is generally a miles better player in almost every way, except the off-the-ball part of his game, where Hargreaves is better. And even there, Carrick can mark and tackle pretty well.

MC every time.

Hopefully Carrick AND Davids stay, Carrick for the long-term good of the side and Davids for his European experience (he can't be good for a whole season anymore as we saw with his dip in form last season).

And let's hear it for Aarron Lennon! I was so impressed seeing him play for England and trouble International defences with his pace. He took to World Cup football like a duck to water and it's a shame he didn't get to play more.