Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Hargreaves is better off the ball. Carrick fits better into the possession game we should be playing against Portugal, and that the 4-5-1 formation requires to work.

Not to mention that Carrick is generally a miles better player in almost every way, except the off-the-ball part of his game, where Hargreaves is better. And even there, Carrick can mark and tackle pretty well.

MC every time.

• Admin

Tottenham coach Martin Jol is certain Ledley King will be fully fit for the start of the Premiership season.

The composed defender missed out on a place in England's World Cup squad after breaking a bone in his foot during the Premiership game against Everton on April 15.

King worked hard on his fitness during the summer break and was able to join in with the rest of the Tottenham squad at the start of pre-season training.

The club have three friendlies arranged in France next week - against Bordeaux, Nice and Celta Vigo - and Jol hopes to be able to select his captain for at least one of the matches.

"Ledley has done everything," Jol told the club's official website.

"We haven't taken a risk with him in the matches during the training sessions but he's done all the running work and ball work.

"I think he has a chance of playing 90 minutes out in France."

Add those fixtures to the Inter game and that is a nice challenging pre-season.

Well Leds getting back to fitness is good news. We missed him on the last few games of the season.

Hopefully we might get to see some of Terry Dixon in the friendlies, he seems to be a hot prospect at the moment.

What does everyone think about the rumous we are bidding for Downing? Personally I'd prefer to see Reto Ziegler return to the left-midfield position.

Well, Spurs had their first pre-season game yesterday, beat Bordeaux 2-1. Defoe and McKenna got the goals.

Lineup: Cerny, Ifil (McKenna, 79), Assou-Ekotto, Davids, Dawson, Gardner, Routledge (Ziegler, 60), Murphy (Lee, 87), Berbatov (Barnard, 79), Defoe (O'Hara, 60), Reid. Subs: Davenport, Fulop, Huddlestone.

Davids was captain.

We're playing Nice tonight at 6pm.

Edited by alldawson

Tottenham are close to completing the signing of Chelsea's Damien Duff, according to reports.

The 27-year-old winger is thought to have completed a medical on Sunday and is expected to make his move across the capital in the next few days.

The Republic of Ireland star, who moved to Chelsea from Blackburn for £17m in 2003, has a year left on his contract.

Duff has won two Premiership titles at Chelsea but has struggled to hold down a regular slot in the starting line-up.

He would become Spurs' third major signing of the summer so far after the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov, Didier Zokora, and Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Since Jose Mourinho replaced Claudio Ranieri as boss in 2004, Duff has been hampered by knee and shoulder injuries, and the summer arrival of Michael Ballack has put his place in the side under further threat.

The signing of Ballack and striker Andriy Shevchenko could mean that Mourinho will revert to a 4-4-2 to accomodate his new signings, leaving fewer opportunites for Chelsea's wingers.

Duff began his career at Blackburn Rovers in 1996 and made over 200 appearances for the Lancashire club.

Since moving to London, Duff has featured 95 times for the Premiership champions.

credit - bbc.co.uk

Apparently it's going to be for £11m, which, I dunno, strikes me as being a little much maybe. That'd be £22m you'll have spent on two players. Although Duff would be one of those "know what you get" players where he doesn't have to adapt, so if you get him, you'll have a damn good squad. Minus Jenas of course, who's useless.

You're also being linked with Juan Pablo Sorin, Micah Richards and Pavel Nedved. And the whole "Carrick to Man Utd" rumour is still there.

A right-back needs to be signed, whether that's Micah Richards or not. I dream of a team without Stalteri:

GK: Robinson

DR: Richards/?

DL: Ekotto/Lee

DC: King

DC: Dawson

MR: Lennon

ML: Duff

MC: Zokora

MC: Carrick

FC: Keane

FC: Berbatov

If Carrick does leave, we've got Huddlestone, Ghali, Murphy and Jenas (Davids played t'other day, does he have a contract?) who could play alongside Zokora. Or you could play Zokora and Robbie Keane, which I think is an interesting option, letting Defoe play upfront.

(Davids played t'other day, does he have a contract?)

I think his contract runs out at the end of this coming season. He was captain the other day and even though it was just a pre-season game you don't tend to give the captaincy to someone who's on their way out, so I think it's a sign he'll be staying at least until January.

According to Nedved' agent, we're also being linked with him. Nedved's awesome, but old. Gimme Duff instead.

I would agree with you there but even as a big Duff fan myself you would have to worry about his injury prone ways.