The Punk Thread

RPS

On 8/14/2016 at 12:10, VerbalRick said:

Download 50 + old punk zines.

These things are great, bought one years ago called Search and Destroy that helped me to discover a shitload of bands.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/07/legendary-west-coast-punk-music-zines.html

Another archive, not as wide as old West Coast

http://frankfoe.blogspot.com/p/lehigh-valley-archives.html

Its an archive of all the local releases from my home town area

• Like 1

OH damn @VerbalRick I missed this one.  The first link is what the site owner, Frank Foe, called "Lehigh Valley Archives", where he ripped old cassettes that he had onto CDs and MP3, with the bands permission if he could get it. 

This link http://www.foe.firstpress.net/foedisco.html

is a list of albums that was released under his "official" record label, FOE Records.  I would definitely recommend "This is the Lehigh Valley Not South Park".  It was a great comp

Edit:  Also, there is an entire story about The Ick and the song by Bracket "Back to Allentown"

• Like 1

M is for mother fucker. And Middle Class, which most of us are. Of course, this Middle Class played music, and had a singer named Mike Patton. Not the one you're thinking, not the douchey one. 

Here, how about N ALSO? I have to go with No Alternative because I love them. They don't get a lot of love even though they kicked ass and were part of the San Francisco scene that gave us other far out bands like the Offs, Black Randy, and Dead Kennedys. 

Well shit, since I'm here, and I mentioned the Offs, let's go O. So the Offs were kind of a funk/ska punk sort of thing that also fell under the radar. The singer Don Vinil was a "friendly rival" of Jello Biafra. I never knew what they meant by that, perhaps in showmanship on stage?

• Like 2

From Bad Religions "disowned" albums Into The Unknown.  I have to admit, I generally like the album for the most part

Well, granted, the song I posted, which was from Into The Unknown, isn't the best example.   Bad Religion has more or less disowned that album.  Aside from its initial release, its only gotten 1 re-release, on a vinyl only box set. 

Holy shit this song is just about 20 years old...

• Like 1

Apart from that song they did with my boy Sage, this was my my favourite song from that album. Geez, the guy swallowed a thesaurus, which is form for him. I just love the guitar at the end of the song.

3 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I really liked uh whatever one they put out in 2004 or 2005. The Empire Strikes First.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDK said:

Apart from that song they did with my boy Sage, this was my my favourite song from that album. Geez, the guy swallowed a thesaurus, which is form for him. I just love the guitar at the end of the song.

That is up there as one of my favorite Bad Religion songs

• Like 1

Just now, Lint said:

That is up there as one of my favorite Bad Religion songs

Fuckin a, man. Soon as I heard that one I just knew it was golden. The first 2/3 of the song are great but its just that last bit that really seals it for me, I just love the wailing guitar bit and the dueling verse bit at the end or whatever you want to call it, you know what I mean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Against Me album is really fucking good. TDB was pissed off. Shape Shift With Me is really sinister. As I've posted before, TDB got me back into punk music and Shape Shift With Me is fucking great. 

Also two really great punk bands - Baby Ghosts and Dog Party. 

• 2 weeks later...

@RPS @VerbalRick everyone else. you guys should check this out. It's $3.99 on Amazon Video and it's also up on American Netflix. It's reallllll good. 

• Like 3