The Punk Thread

RPS

On 08/07/2018 at 09:53, VerbalPeru said:

See...here is my issue with this.  In a video about Fat Mike and NoFX being kicked off the punk rock camp out or whatever it was called, he complained about people being too easily offended.  Then in this video, he changes the song to say "bragging how you know how the blacks feel cold" as opposed to the original lyric.  

I have no issue with him self censoring.  I actually like the Serj/Foo Fighters version that goes "Bragging that you know how the brothers feel cold".  But don't make one video saying "people are too easily offended" then do another video where you self censor yourself so people aren't offended

19 hours ago, VerbalPeru said:

What was the context of being too easily offended? I don’t know that story, was it due to the original lyrics of Holiday in Cambodia?

It was after NoFX said, after the Las Vegas shooting "thank god they were country fans" or something.  NoFX was kicked off the camp out.  Someone asked what Jello, Keith Morris and Jack Grisham thought about that.  They all kinda agreed it was in bad taste, but "people are too easily offended"

I do actually kinda agree with Jello about the whole "micro-aggression" thing

That’s weird. I agree with Jello about the comments being in poor taste and with changing the lyrics. On the other hand, framing the NOFX thing as “people are too easily offended” does feel an odd way to justify kicking them off. Feels like a cop out and not just owning that it was indeed a shit thing to say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a mate just bought us tickets to see Michale Graves in January. I'm like dope, love the Misfits, remember Graves and Gotham Road... loved his Punk Rock is Dead album. He can't have put out much stuff since then, right? 

wrong, since then he put out thirteen different studio albums, nine live or compilation albums, and two EPs.

Good job the gig is a few months away

On 13/09/2018 at 13:49, K said:

a mate just bought us tickets to see Michale Graves in January. I'm like dope, love the Misfits, remember Graves and Gotham Road... loved his Punk Rock is Dead album. He can't have put out much stuff since then, right? 

wrong, since then he put out thirteen different studio albums, nine live or compilation albums, and two EPs.

Good job the gig is a few months away

Michale Graves solo output has been amazing. Starting with Graves and the Web of Dharma album, moving over to Gotham Road's Season of the Witch... then Punk Rock is Dead and Return to Earth were both very good, with PRID his most punk influenced album to date. His collaborative album with Damien Echols, titled Illusions, is most definitely worth searching out as well. Huge departure, but amazing record.

Since then, he's been the steadiest of the former Fits in terms of releases. Every new release sports a change in style from the previous, but the quality is definitely there. The Lost Skeleton Returns was a huge return to form (Horrorpunk form) for Graves, but Vagabond is easily some of his best work, despite, like Illusions, being a huge departure in sound from what people expect. Bedlam and Worlds Collide are also very good. Dying on Sunday Morning, the sequel song to Crying on Saturday Night, was an ambitious piece that could have been a mistake, but turned out very well.

There is no doubt in my mind that Graves has surpassed Danzig and Jerry in terms of post-2000 material. He is an amazing song-writer and has always been my favorite voice of the group. That's not to say that Danzig isn't/wasn't an amazing vocalist, and he definitely fit the Misfits material better in general, but Graves has a beautiful voice that has endured the years.

Also, make sure not to skimp on the Argyle Goolsby set. Goolsby is easily my favorite artist in the current-era, and maybe even of all time. He came from Blitzkid, who were the kings of horrorpunk following the genre's resurgence/emergence in the late 90's/early '00s. His post-Blitzkid stuff has been amazing, and Darken Your Doorstep is probably in my top five albums of all-time. Definitely give that a look. He'll also be playing bass for Graves' band during the tour.

I was supposed to go see them in Vancouver next month, but other stuff has come up, and getting there and finding a place to stay on top of the life stuff is making it very unlikely that I can make that happen. Enjoy it Keith, both Graves and Goolsby put on great live shows.

51 minutes ago, K said:

thanks for the tip man. I'm not sure if Goolsby will fly out to support the European leg of the tour, american bands usually pick up local acts as supports at this level, but I'll check him out anyway. Cheers.

Oh yeah, not sure if he's on for support during the European leg. Goolsby plays a lot of European dates though, and he seems to be Graves' go-to guy now for bass duties, so I'd bet that he will be there. If he isn't, it will be because he's working on something new.

6 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I just saw that the “original” Misfits are playing in Chicago with Fear and Venom. Original meaning Danzig and Only. That sounds fun as fuck also. 

And also features guitarist Doyle, right? He may not be an original but he was their guitar player on all their original LPs. When the three of them got together again last year it was the first time since 1983.

Edited by Malenko

I didn’t notice his name on the ad but that would make sense. 

By the way, Jesus Lizard was fucking amazing. Not even kidding when I say that was probably the best show I have ever been to. David Yow is a fucking madman, seeing him has to be what it was like seeing Iggy Pop or something like that. First song starts and the dude just jumps into the crowd and crowd surfs for the whole song. Plus, the band sounded incredible. 

So, in 'All of my heroes are dead (except Bo Jackson) news, a journey that started with a scratched, burned copy of 'Live at a Dive' given to me by a tweaker girl at a house party twenty years ago finally ended at a VFW hall in Irwindale last night as I saw D.I.

And it was a SHITSHOW.

Everything before D.I. hits the stage goes great. Stalag 13 was fucking amazing, the early bands were good, but shit goes sideways almost immediately once D.I gets on stage.

So, to kinda set the scene, this is basically a backyard show, in the yard of a VFW hall. Really solid vibe, older crowd, as you'd expect. They have mic problems, no big deal, until Casey tries to fill time, and I don't know if he was drunk or what, but he starts up this barely coherent stream of conciousness jabber that ends with him trying to get a possibly underage girl to lift her top, which is a move that goes over great at the Troubador in 1987,  not so much the show that advertised themselves as 'family friendly' (and there were kids there) in 2018.

Show continues, and I will say that, after some early sound problems, the band sounded great. Whatever other shit aside, Casey sounds exactly like he did back in the day, I was starting to get back into it.

Until Casey goes on this whole homophobic run that I'm still not sure if it was supposed to be a joke or like, satire, or what, but it was baaaaaaaad. Several times the bassist (he's from the Dickies, I think, as was the drummer) has to try and rein him in, going 'this next song is called...' only to be ignored. At one point you can hear him go 'come on, we're losing them', and Casey goes 'we already lost them'.

And they definitely had.

We left during 'Stick to Your Guns', which is either my favorite D.I. song or my second favorite (after 'Black Surf') depending on how angry I am...

It was a fucking trainwreck, which was really kinda disappointing because D.I. are literally my favorite musical thing that doesn't involve Joe Strummer.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...