The Punk Thread

RPS

Hm...good question. Let me think on that. Plenty of good choices.

I admit, my first thought right now off the top of my head is Gogol Bordell Gypsy Punks. In its own way I feel like it would stand up with stuff like London Calling or Zen Arcade for being pretty unique and just being really good from beginning to end.

I really like the Carbonas self titled album. Very good, very much a Goner records type of garage punk act. They have a fast uptempo style but aren't really overwhelmingly heavy either.  

Told you I had it typed out on my computer.

On 15/12/2019 at 21:19, Ruki said:

In a Denny's?!

Depending on the time of day, its one of the most normal things you'd see in a Denny's

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

@RPS

The Refused is playing Detroit...in like two weeks. You liked them right? Maybe they're touring 

I loved the Shape of Punk to Come, but they have released Freedom, a not great record. I doubt I would see them in concert unless they were playing The Shape of Punk to Come in its entirety. 

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

what do you consider punk? 

pretty broad... essentially any kind of broadly guitar based music which is based around a DIY ethos.  Which means there is some seepage in to Hip-hop, indie and metal, but I would rather it be like that than it having a very narrow definition.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

pretty broad... essentially any kind of broadly guitar based music which is based around a DIY ethos.  Which means there is some seepage in to Hip-hop, indie and metal, but I would rather it be like that than it having a very narrow definition.

Do you consider Death Grips punk? 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

To an extent, it wouldn't be the first genre I would think of, but as a group there is a lot of parallels in their conduct to punk

So what punk album do you  find the best from this century? 

My favorite punk band of this century is probably Wavves. My favorite punk album is probably Against Me Transgender Dysphoria Blues or Dillinger Escape Plan Miss Machine. 

3 hours ago, RPS said:

My favorite punk band of this century is probably Wavves. My favorite punk album is probably Against Me Transgender Dysphoria Blues or Dillinger Escape Plan Miss Machine. 

TDB is up there. Menzingers, On The Impossible Past for sure. Thursday, Full Collapse.  DFA 1979, You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. ATDI, Relationship of Command.  Hot Water Music's Remedy. Soooo many haha

@RPS

Another show. This one actually close to you, Bikini Kill is on tour. I was going to get tickets for them but after the kick in the dick charges from the ticket company two tickets were about 110 bucks. I like them but that's a bit much. I hate convenience fees.

I don't...I may still go. I feel like the show would be amazing and all, maybe like Jesus Lizard in that its just got that wild ass 90s vibe.

But I did end up buying some tickets for GBH and MDC which should be fun. I saw GBH in 2007 and they were incredible. Never seen MDC but they should he fun, this is probably one of the better combinations I'll have seen. MDC is one of many great punk bands out of the Texas area.

13 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

@RPS

Another show. This one actually close to you, Bikini Kill is on tour. I was going to get tickets for them but after the kick in the dick charges from the ticket company two tickets were about 110 bucks. I like them but that's a bit much. I hate convenience fees.

I don't...I may still go. I feel like the show would be amazing and all, maybe like Jesus Lizard in that its just got that wild ass 90s vibe.

But I did end up buying some tickets for GBH and MDC which should be fun. I saw GBH in 2007 and they were incredible. Never seen MDC but they should he fun, this is probably one of the better combinations I'll have seen. MDC is one of many great punk bands out of the Texas area.

I'll check it out. My better half actually likes Bikini Kill cause of the Kathleen Hanna doc.