The Punk Thread

RPS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IV and the Strange Band are playing here in less than a month and only just now did I learn that the "IV" in question is "Hank Williams IV", Hank 3's 30 year old (!) son. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CLDY said:

IV and the Strange Band are playing here in less than a month and only just now did I learn that the "IV" in question is "Hank Williams IV", Hank 3's 30 year old (!) son. 

Just don't get confused with Hank Williams IV who is someone else entirely. That's Ricky Fitzgerald's stage name. He's also a musician and the grandson of Lewis Fitzgerald, possible illegitimate son of Hank Williams, the first. 

"Hank Williams IV" as you called him is Coleman Williams. He doesn't go by Hank Williams IV. He just adopted the IV for the band name.

• Like 1

The Offspring fired their drummer, Pete Parada, over his hesitation to get vaccinated. 

He says he suffers from Guillain-Barré syndrome, where a person's immune system damages their nerves, in childhood and the effects had got "progressively worse over my lifetime", and that he doesn't want to risk another attack.

Doesn't surprise me, Dexter has a Ph.D in molecular biology, and has been published as a co-author in a few papers, so The Offspring has seemed like one band that has been taking COVID restrictions pretty seriously

• Like 1

Lawsuit filed against Jimmy Urine, Mindless Self Indulgence’s former manager, and Warner Bros by a woman who says that she was groomed and sexually assaulted by Jimmy Urine starting from the age of 15. He was 27. 

Why does MSI having creepy allegations against them not surprise me at all

• Like 1

When I was in High School a bunch of my friends and acquaintances saw MSI live in Detroit. The story after the show was that Jimmy "made out" with a dude that was with my group of friends (i didn't know him other than he was a singer in a local band). I'm pretty sure the guy in question would have been 16-17 at the time? This was 99-2000 or so ? Jimmy was born in 1969 so do the math there.

My wife also confirmed that he was known for kissing literally any willing participant (she kind of knew some of the same people I knew of growing up, but well before we actually met each other). 

Yeah he's always been a creep.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How many genres have punk bands straddled? 

It might be confusing, but I'm talking about a band like Bigwig, who started off as a standard ska-punk band

But they also had elements of a Blink-182-ish pop-punk band

Then later they just went full political melodic hardcore

Any other bands have an evolution like this?

• Like 2

There are a few.

A classic example is Rancid as you probably know. Their first records were pretty basic 90s punk rock (Let's Go maybe not as much, but still), And out come the wolves had a clear the Clash influence mixed with what they were already doing that basically became what most people think as the typical Rancid sound. Life Won't Wait was written in cooperation with many jamaican reggae/Ska artists and Vic Ruggiero and the Dirty Reggae/Ska scene in New York, which gives a distinct 60s ska feel to many songs in the album and they immediately follow that up with Rancid 2000 which is by far their most Hardcore album. From that point on, it goes back to what it was prior to their last 2 albums, albeit a bit more polished and poppier but at least this 4 album sequence is really cool.

Another example is Propagandhi. Their sound was very simple fat-wreck style in the 90s/early00s and changed to the technical metal-influenced punk rock they do now.

In the case of Bigwig, it's basically whatever Tom Petta wanted to do. The original lineup wasn't there anymore. In fact, the original bass player actually plays in a ska-punk band in NJ. He still does pretty much the same thing.

Reclamation, their last album, was Tom Petta with a different "backup band" and they played a different style. I think this change was more relevant and unique than the first one you say, because bands playing ska-punk in 1997 because of the third wave boom and suddenly playing pop-punk in 1999 are a dime a dozen.

As for classic punk rock/hardcore bands who've changed a lot, Black Flag is an example we've discussed somewhere n these boards. The Clash is another. London Calling was nothing like 1977 and Sandinista was nothing like either. Technically all those styles are under the umbrella of punk rock, but their shows usually attract completely different crowds.

• Like 1

I think I've seen Turnstile mentioned either here or the 2021 music thread a few times (probably both?), punks on TikTok say that if you don't like their new album you hate fun and having a good time. So I reckon I'll give it a whirl here in the next little bit. Looking at it on Apple Music and I already dig the cover art..

EDIT: To add to the discussion above, I think Black Flag is one of the best examples of that. By 1985 or so they were practically a doom metal band. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLDY said:

I think I've seen Turnstile mentioned either here or the 2021 music thread a few times (probably both?), punks on TikTok say that if you don't like their new album you hate fun and having a good time. So I reckon I'll give it a whirl here in the next little bit. Looking at it on Apple Music and I already dig the cover art..

EDIT: To add to the discussion above, I think Black Flag is one of the best examples of that. By 1985 or so they were practically a doom metal band. 

Might have been me. I mentioned Turnstile's new album in the AOTY discussion.

However, I don't share the "you hate fun" sentiment. If you don't like their new album, you just don't like their new album. 

• Like 2

Totally. Tbf, I don't believe it's a serious sentiment, I think - most of the time anyway - when I see people saying that they're goofing on the type of people who say that sort of thing (exaggerated "if you don't like this then ___ " statements) and genuinely believe it.

6 hours ago, Lint said:

How many genres have punk bands straddled? 

Any other bands have an evolution like this?

Have you ever listened to Sandinista by the Clash? I think there are many who would argue that it is not punk, but it has 30 songs on it and spans everything from punk to dub to rap to calypso to rockabilly. It was notorious at the time for being a triple album. People thought the Clash were insane for selling a double album like London Calling, so they doubled down and did a triple album their next album.

4 hours ago, CLDY said:

I mentioned them in the 2021 Thread as well. I thought the description of "pop" hardcore is interesting. But really it sounded to me like a power pop album that had hardcore elements. At times, I felt like I was listening to early Weezer with a hardcore vocalist. 

• Like 1

I mean the Beastie Boys are a pretty good example of the genre straddling yeah? Started off playing shows at CBGB and evolved into an influential hip hop act, though did incorporate the early days into their later work. 

I think the Wipers evolved a bit, started off kind as just punk but eventually got more and more memodic and sounding kinda sullen. Greg Sage always did things a bit differently though, wasn't a ton of 10 minute songs (Youth of America) in those days of punk. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CLDY said:

One song into this Turnstile album and I dig it. I think I'm gonna like this album. 

I really enjoy this album. There's some songs I'm not hot on, which are on the back half of the album, but overall it's a really good album. At times it kinda reminds me of a Rise Against album??

• Like 1