The Punk Thread

RPS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2016 at 11:20, CLDY said:

That reminds me that there was some Pansy Division song I stumbled across years ago that I really liked, but I can't remember what the fuck it was now. I'm looking through their discography trying to see if any track titles ring any bells, but I'm not finding it. Boo.

I'm just a femme in a black leather jacket.😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPS said:

I'm just a femme in a black leather jacket.😆

I've only ever heard one Pansy Division song, "Ring of Joy".  Its about how great butt stuff is for men or women. 

At the time I was a bit more closed minded.  Told my friends "Nah, I don't like Pansy Division and that gay shit".  Hey, I was like 16 at the time...

But yea, the song is just a fun song about butt sex!  "Every girl and every boy should exercise their ring of joy!"

Really wish I sought out more Pansy Division songs later on 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the the Offspring...pretty sure they where the first "punk" band I listened to

I don't hate this song, but I'm not sure I like it either.  Its very "Meh" to me

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 04:34, Malenko said:

They've had a few similar to this in the last couple albums. I'm guessing the Offspring sound you're a huge fan of isn't this one, and hasn't been seen since the early 00s?

The last Offspring album I can say I liked from front to back was Conspiracy of One and, since that was 2000, that would track with your prediction.

Splinter was a weak album.  It opened strong, and The Noose is still a favorite song.  But the singles like Hit That just seemed like call backs to Original Prankster, which I wasn't crazy about.  Spare Me The Details seems like a prequel to Self Esteem and was an ok track 

Then they realized Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, and the best songs from the album were the singles, Hammerhead, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, and Kristy, Are You Doing OK?. 

Then Days Go By came out and, while I don't particularly like it, Cruisin' California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) is oddly catchy.  The only other "good" track on the album is a re-recording of the song "Dirty Magic" from their "Ignition" album.  Weirdly enough, the song has a repeating lyrics of "Its over simplified", and this version of the song is very over produced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lint said:

The last Offspring album I can say I liked from front to back was Conspiracy of One and, since that was 2000, that would track with your prediction.

Splinter was a weak album.  It opened strong, and The Noose is still a favorite song.  But the singles like Hit That just seemed like call backs to Original Prankster, which I wasn't crazy about.  Spare Me The Details seems like a prequel to Self Esteem and was an ok track 

Then they realized Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, and the best songs from the album were the singles, Hammerhead, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, and Kristy, Are You Doing OK?. 

Then Days Go By came out and, while I don't particularly like it, Cruisin' California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) is oddly catchy.  The only other "good" track on the album is a re-recording of the song "Dirty Magic" from their "Ignition" album.  Weirdly enough, the song has a repeating lyrics of "Its over simplified", and this version of the song is very over produced. 

I felt you would have stopped caring that much about them at either Conspiracy of One or Splinter.

Personally, I still dig Splinter even though I didn't think it added anything to their "legacy". I really like Da Hui and the Noose, and as for the Worst Hangover Ever, while it's definitely the kind of song that started driving their older fans away back when they released Americana, it always gets me smiling and I'm ok with that. It's probably the song I've played the most in that album tbf. The last 2 albums had some songs I liked, but there's so much more music I'd rather be listening to nowadays that I basically listened to those when I got them and probably never again. I'll probably keep getting their albums because it may have been the first band I really liked when I was about 12 when Smash came out, so even if I've found so much great music since, they'll still have that special spot.

19 hours ago, Malenko said:

I'll probably keep getting their albums because it may have been the first band I really liked when I was about 12 when Smash came out, so even if I've found so much great music since, they'll still have that special spot.

Yea, I think I was 13 when Smash came out and that, along with Operation Ivys 'Energy' (thus the user name) and Fugazis '13 Songs' were some of the first "punk" albums I ever owned...well ok Energy and 13 Songs were two different sides of a tape my friend gave me

Speaking of Operation Ivy, I"m currently reading "How To Ru(i)n A Record Label" by Larry Livermore, the founder of Lookout Records.  Having been a huge fan of many Lookout bands, and knowing the fate of the label, you can really tell he's planting seeds through the book about how he should've seen the end of Lookout coming   

On 27/03/2021 at 09:20, Lint said:

I'm a huge fan of the the Offspring...pretty sure they where the first "punk" band I listened to

I don't hate this song, but I'm not sure I like it either.  Its very "Meh" to me

I've heard the new album now. I had zero expectations, then started reading some very positive reviews from people who tend to be pretty negative about things and started believing it would be very good.

I'm not a fan. I doubt I'll be listening to it much. I probably like it more than the last two but that's not saying much.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading the biography on Bad Religion, titled "Do What You Want".  Its not written directly by the band, but many current and former members contributed to it.  Think the only one who didn't was Greg Hetson (actually makes sense since his departure from the band was quite contentious).

Its a fun read, including things like why they decided to make the synth-pop album Into The Unknown, which I will always argue is a really great album, but it lead to the band "breaking up" for a period.

There are some kinda funny parts, like current drummer Jamie Miller talks about how intimidated he was after getting hired and having to learn 400+ songs by the band.  Bassist Jay Bently told him "Don't worry, we don't even play half of them."  Jamie's first gig with the band, Greg Graffin (unintentionally) showed up with a set list that had no songs Jamie learned how to play

• Haha 1

For some weird reason I always forget Bad Religion are west coast.

Also, going back and reflecting on the Misfits, man, they really just kind of suck ass don't they? I mean musically, it's fine, but they're just super awful misogynists and it's dismissed as "shock for the sake of shock, don't worry about it". But given what we know now about Graves and Jerry Only, I'm more inclined to belief they're actually just fucking awful pricks eh?

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2021 at 04:13, CLDY said:

For some weird reason I always forget Bad Religion are west coast.

Also, going back and reflecting on the Misfits, man, they really just kind of suck ass don't they? I mean musically, it's fine, but they're just super awful misogynists and it's dismissed as "shock for the sake of shock, don't worry about it". But given what we know now about Graves and Jerry Only, I'm more inclined to belief they're actually just fucking awful pricks eh?

Given what we know about Danzig and, yea, the entire band is pretty much awful pricks

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CLDY said:

Consider me not at all surprised, though. I'd always heard Danzig was kind of a dick.

Yea, Danzig came off as the "good guy" in The Misfits dispute, but he's always seemed like a jackass

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2021 at 01:54, Lint said:

Just finished reading the biography on Bad Religion, titled "Do What You Want".  Its not written directly by the band, but many current and former members contributed to it.  Think the only one who didn't was Greg Hetson (actually makes sense since his departure from the band was quite contentious).

Its a fun read, including things like why they decided to make the synth-pop album Into The Unknown, which I will always argue is a really great album, but it lead to the band "breaking up" for a period.

There are some kinda funny parts, like current drummer Jamie Miller talks about how intimidated he was after getting hired and having to learn 400+ songs by the band.  Bassist Jay Bently told him "Don't worry, we don't even play half of them."  Jamie's first gig with the band, Greg Graffin (unintentionally) showed up with a set list that had no songs Jamie learned how to play

This made me go check out their Live From The Roxy show they did... man. They look old. Then I realized that is probably the case for pretty much all the bands I did/still listen to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ruki Returns said:

This made me go check out their Live From The Roxy show they did... man. They look old. Then I realized that is probably the case for pretty much all the bands I did/still listen to. 

Was it from their Decades stream?  I bought all 4 parts and the banter in the interview segments with Jay and Brian seems like an old married couple, especially when they both get into how long they've been sober