The Punk Thread

RPS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I just read Sellout: The Major-Label Feeding Frenzy That Swept Punk, Emo, and Hardcore

One of the things that stuck out to me is how some of the "emo" bands, like Thursday and My Chemical Romance, seemingly fucking HATED being called emo bands.  They thought of themselves as punk bands and, in the case of Thursday, always hated being thought of "that emo band"

Another part was reading about Against Me! and reading how Laura Jane Grace was coming to terms with her gender identity.  How she would dress as a woman in private to feel normal, and even tried to get her "crossdressing" into videos.

There is really just some great stories in the book, none of them made me feel bored while reading them

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/04/2023 at 17:53, BROOD EDGE said:

Also in a January 2011 interview with Exclaim, Mike Ness said that there would not be another seven- or eight-year wait between Social Distortion albums.

Well I'm so happy Mike Ness kept his promise and it wasn't a 7-8 year wait, but a 13 year wait...

Who the hell am I kidding...I'll love it anyway

• 2 months later...

I was supposed to see them in June....:( but missed it due to circumstances outside my control. Hope he heals up ok. 

I came here to post this band...

G.L.O.S.S. 

They kick ass, came across them after listening to Limp Wrist, there was a recommended playlist for Queercore. There was a lot of really cool groups on the list I'm still going through but this really stuck out to me. 

"G.L.O.S.S. (Girls Living Outside Society's Shit) was a trans-feminist hardcore punk band based out of Olympia, Washington.[1] The group formed in 2014 and consisted of members Corey Evans (drums), Sadie "Switchblade" Smith (vocals), Jake Bison (guitar), Tannrr Hainsworth (guitar), and Julaya Antolin (bass guitar)." 

Unfortunately, they've already disbanded after releasing two brilliant demos/eps. 

• Like 2

On 30/07/2023 at 11:32, VerbalPuke said:

I was supposed to see them in June....:( but missed it due to circumstances outside my control. Hope he heals up ok. 

I came here to post this band...

G.L.O.S.S. 

They kick ass, came across them after listening to Limp Wrist, there was a recommended playlist for Queercore. There was a lot of really cool groups on the list I'm still going through but this really stuck out to me. 

"G.L.O.S.S. (Girls Living Outside Society's Shit) was a trans-feminist hardcore punk band based out of Olympia, Washington.[1] The group formed in 2014 and consisted of members Corey Evans (drums), Sadie "Switchblade" Smith (vocals), Jake Bison (guitar), Tannrr Hainsworth (guitar), and Julaya Antolin (bass guitar)." 

Unfortunately, they've already disbanded after releasing two brilliant demos/eps. 

On 30/07/2023 at 13:11, Malenko said:

Never heard the demo but the EP is great.

Demo is on Spotify and its great!  Just what I love from some hardcore punk

• Thanks 1

While I was never a huge fan of AFI when they moved into their "emo" era, I have always thought this song was very catchy, and was surprised it wasn't more popular.  Miss Murder came out in April 2006

In October 2006, this came out

There are some similar themes in both videos, like both bands are wearing uniforms etc...

AFI fell so My Chemical Romance could rise.

As an aside, I was reading a book that had some interviews with the MCR guys, and they HATED being called an emo band.  They thought of themselves as a punk band

• Like 1

Majidi said: "'That Crazy White Boy Shit' is kind of an ironic title for the song, because it's about the BAD BRAINS and how much the BAD BRAINS were such a huge influence not just on us but on all of hardcore, and the fact that it was four black guys making it.

On 06/08/2023 at 11:01, Lint said:

While I was never a huge fan of AFI when they moved into their "emo" era, I have always thought this song was very catchy, and was surprised it wasn't more popular.  Miss Murder came out in April 2006

In October 2006, this came out

There are some similar themes in both videos, like both bands are wearing uniforms etc...

AFI fell so My Chemical Romance could rise.

As an aside, I was reading a book that had some interviews with the MCR guys, and they HATED being called an emo band.  They thought of themselves as a punk band

I loved Miss Murder and although there was a bit of a change in AFIs style and sound there were some decent tunes. 

Was the MCR interviews from Sellout? Been a while since I read it but it was a really good read about a whole host of bands of that era.

• Green Day
  • Jawbreaker
  • Jimmy Eat World
  • Blink-182
  • At the Drive-In
  • The Donnas
  • Thursday
  • The Distillers
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Rise Against
  • Against Me!

A really good and interesting read for anyone who's interested and from memory wasn't afraid to be honest about various peoples issues.

• Like 1

See, I didn't feel it as much with Miss Murder, because while December underground was obviously not similar to their work in the 90's, that shift in style started with Sing the Sorrow. I remember at the time Sing the Sorrow came out I had just seen them in the Art of Drowning tour a couple of years before that came out, and that's when I felt "Wow. This doesn't sound like old AFI at all". When Miss Murder was released I was already used to that, I guess.

At the time I really didn't like that sound at all, but then again I was in college and I listen to a lot of stuff now I didn't back then so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more had it been released this year.

On 01/03/2023 at 04:54, Lint said:

So I just read Sellout: The Major-Label Feeding Frenzy That Swept Punk, Emo, and Hardcore

One of the things that stuck out to me is how some of the "emo" bands, like Thursday and My Chemical Romance, seemingly fucking HATED being called emo bands.  They thought of themselves as punk bands and, in the case of Thursday, always hated being thought of "that emo band"

Another part was reading about Against Me! and reading how Laura Jane Grace was coming to terms with her gender identity.  How she would dress as a woman in private to feel normal, and even tried to get her "crossdressing" into videos.

There is really just some great stories in the book, none of them made me feel bored while reading them

Took this recommendation and eventually got around to reading it. I finished it the other night and man oh man, I came out of that with a lot of respect for people that I knew of but didn't know the names of before, EVEN more for some that I already knew a lot about and... a deletion of all Rancid songs on my liked list, but I guess that's not a shocking revelation, just one that I didn't know full details of until now.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I especially got a better look into Jawbreaker, Thursday (who I really only knew from "War All Of The Time") and MCR.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

Took this recommendation and eventually got around to reading it. I finished it the other night and man oh man, I came out of that with a lot of respect for people that I knew of but didn't know the names of before, EVEN more for some that I already knew a lot about and... a deletion of all Rancid songs on my liked list, but I guess that's not a shocking revelation, just one that I didn't know full details of until now.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I especially got a better look into Jawbreaker, Thursday (who I really only knew from "War All Of The Time") and MCR.

Yea, Tim Armstrong is fucking gross. Not sure how he's come away fairly unscathed for grooming Brodie Dahl.

3 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yea, Tim Armstrong is fucking gross. Not sure how he's come away fairly unscathed for grooming Brodie Dahl.

Yeah I mean, everything that I had read about it was really saturated down to being like "oh geez, they didn't really work out as a couple and were pretty aggro to each other afterwards" but yeah, no - that dude is a full on groomer. And outside of that even, basically trying to destroy the Distillers was super god damn gross. The way that the Rancid crew's sense of 'loyality' is handled (basically, fuck everyone who isn't with my crew - and if you go against what I want my crew to do - I'll ruin your life) was also just horrid to think about.

Actually shit - to build on that. The fact that her song about the experience was 'Die On The Rope' and his was 'Fall Back Down' it's also stupidly fucked.

While it's such a good book it's hard to define specific "highlights" but that piece is definitely one of them. Although I'd heard the music and liked some stuff I'd never really read or paid much attention to The Distillers "off record" so that was all relatively new to me. I didn't particularly do a lot of music reading aside from picking up Kerrang to plan what gigs I'd like to spend my early wages on and didn't really pay much attention to articles unless it was a band I was already really into. It meant my exposure was essentially the comments like Kerrang TV or brief blurbs talking about "Mrs Tim Armstrong" or "the band of the girlfriend of the Rancid frontman" which meant I had no interest, didn't care about a bit of industry nepotism as long as I liked whatever video came up on rotation that was all that mattered.

After reading about what was going on though, I found a lot more respect for how she went through that shit and came through it with all her struggles and shared those same feelings of bemusement about how Armstrong came through it all pretty much unscathed. I suppose part of it is down to the time, in later times there'd have been a lot more noise and attention brought on it all and the limit of talk wouldn't boil down to "Brody talks bad about ex".

I know I'm partly preaching to the choir here but that is such a good book and is essential reading whether you have interest in the bands or not.

Great song, but geez Roger is looking old...dude also 60

• Like 1