What are your favourite compilations?

METALMAN

I really like compilations. There's nothing better for getting into a new style of music, or to listen to the highlights of a genre you don't follow obsessively.

I like the Get Darker set of This Is Dubstep compilations. Most other dubstep compilations are just full of rubbish but those have a pretty good hit rste in a genre saturated with rubbish. This is good because I generally can't be bothered finding the good stuff myself.

DJ-Kicks series is pretty good, same reason.

Hospitality Drum n bass for the same reason. These ones are also really cheap!

The Trojan reggae ones are brilliant. Lovingly compiled.

Kitsune maison obv for nice dancey-indie-pop or whatevs.

The Beginners Guide to [insert country here] albums are really good too. Usually three CDs, themed on traditional folk music, classic pop, and current pop from whichever country or region is being covered.

My favourite is the Backbeats series. They cover lots of good soul and funk music, and are pretty much responsible for my current love of the genre. The Gimme A Break one is the best. it focuses entirely on songs that have been sampled by yer rappers or hippity hoppers or whatnot. The quality is astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNAk0oYu20

"Late Night Tales" are almost always fantastic, even when the band choosing the tracks is shit.

"Rogue's Gallery" was an amazing compilation of the type of people who pop up on that kind of compilation - Rufus Wainwright, Jarvis Cocker, Lou Reed, Nick Cave et al - singing sea shanties and pirate songs. Love that one.

I've been meaning to check out Backbeats, actually. I've got a similar kind of thing, which is a compilation entirely of songs sampled by Daft Punk, which lead me to discover "Release The Beast" by Breakwater, which is pretty much the best song.

The Nuggets compilations are great for the 60s psychedelic rock fans out there.

Killed By Death is probably the best known for punk rock, good stuff there.

I have one called 415 music that is a bunch of obscure punk stuff, I really enjoy that.

There are so many great compilations, I have a compilation of old music from B level biker flicks from the 60s.

Crushers, Killers, Destroyers I & II are pretty solid sludge/doom compilations. Both of them are made by the Sloth tracks at the end, one including Sloth covering Floor's "Tales of Lolita," the other including "Choking Bitches" and a parody St. Vitus cover.