2012 NCAA College Football Thread

They got their special exception requirements met to make the BCS.

This is not fact, this is FALSE. There is no matter of opinion. They. Were. Undefeated. They didn't play a Boise State cupcake schedule where you could argue that they don't have the schedule to make the NT game. There is NO school that sweeps that schedule and won't make the national championship game. There may be ND special exemptions that exist, but they make that game on this schedule without them, and they make it in very easily.

(on schedule)

Bama's, even with the FSC school (which I've reamed the entire SEC for, for forever) is still rated higher than ND's by Sagarin

No it wasn't, it's eight places lower. Unless you're talking about Sagarin's pre-season schedules.

HTTK is really not wrong here. You're all getting far too hung up on him saying they didn't belong there due to strength of schedule. You're ignoring the fact that it's obvious they weren't anywhere near the level of Alabama. Hell, if we had the 4 team playoff system this year they'd have been sent packing in the first round. You can argue arbitrary stuff like strength of schedule with HTTK all you want, the play on the field doesn't lie.

• Like 3

This is not fact, this is FALSE. There is no matter of opinion. They. Were. Undefeated. They didn't play a Boise State cupcake schedule where you could argue that they don't have the schedule to make the NT game. There is NO school that sweeps that schedule and won't make the national championship game. There may be ND special exemptions that exist, but they make that game on this schedule without them, and they make it in very easily.

No it wasn't, it's eight places lower. Unless you're talking about Sagarin's pre-season schedules.

1 - Notre Dame has different requirements within the BCS to qualify for a BCS bowl. Period. They got to the Title game by being undefeated. That doesn't erase the fact that they are a special case in regards to the BCS. They are, in FACT, a special case in BCS qualifying procedures. I'm not talking about the NT game. I know how they got there. I'm speaking on a bigger picture level with the NT game being a microcosm of that bigger picture. I never once said they had a NT game exception. It'd be really great to have your entire point read and understood rather than select pieces taken out and used as something it isn't meant to be :/

2 - Sagarin's FINAL ratings ... you know, after the games are played.

Hell, the AP and coaches apparently figured out they'd but a bit much of the shine back on ND. Final AP Poll has ND FOURTH, and the Coaches have them third.

I'd just like to say that all this "politically correct" fuss over Brent Musberger's comments when AJ McCarron's girlfriend was on screen is some bullshit. He didn't say anything that should have offended anyone, made a societal joke about how quarterback's get all the good-looking woman, and moved on.... like seriously, what the hell is everyone's problem.

I'd just like to say that all this "politically correct" fuss over Brent Musberger's comments when AJ McCarron's girlfriend was on screen is some bullshit. He didn't say anything that should have offended anyone, made a societal joke about how quarterback's get all the good-looking woman, and moved on.... like seriously, what the hell is everyone's problem.

I thought half of it was directed at how pretty is mom is too? Like basically saying, look everyone Alabama QBs are surrounded by good-looking women. I was more bothered by Herbstreit almost acting like Jerry Lawler for a bit there. Brent came off as more of a gentleman.

HTTK is really not wrong here. You're all getting far too hung up on him saying they didn't belong there due to strength of schedule. You're ignoring the fact that it's obvious they weren't anywhere near the level of Alabama. Hell, if we had the 4 team playoff system this year they'd have been sent packing in the first round. You can argue arbitrary stuff like strength of schedule with HTTK all you want, the play on the field doesn't lie.

The thing is, and I said this going into the game, ND played tough opponents but every single one of those opponents (Michigan, Michigan State, USC, Oklahoma) had down years compared to how they normally do. They were blessed by good, but not great, opponents. The ranked opponents they beat do not equal the quality of the ranked opponents Bama had to go through, and they lost to a team that if we had the miraculous blessing of an 8-team playoff probably would have won the national title since nobody was better the second half of the year than A&M. It's more the result of a quirk in the way the BCS grades things than the result of the way ND gets special exemptions though. ND had the same schedule they always do, with one of their best teams. In a year with a full-powered Michigan, Michigan State, and USC you're probably looking at a 10-2 ND team that finishes in the top 15 and possibly backdoors into the Fiesta Bowl. This is where ND will be for years to come under Kelly I think, by the way. Somewhere in the top 15 annually. He's a great coach and great recruiter, and even though I think after he sees a class or two of his out he'll start looking at the NFL, while he's in South Bend he'll turn the program back in the direction it once always knew.

I also laughed at the postgame interview with Saban. "You mean you're not gonna celebrate this win?" "I am gonna celebrate it, for the next 24 hours, then I get back to work." "So this one isn't gonna be celebrated anymore than the rest?" "No, I'm going to celebrate it (fucking idiot). This is really for the players to celebrate though, that's why I do this." It cracked me up. Any coach in the country might not say it exactly like that, but any championship-winning coach (with the exception of apparently Gene Chizik) is going to gear up for the following season as fast as possible.

After watching the bowl games, Notre Dame would have lost to half the SEC West, South Carolina, Clemson, Louisville, Georgia, Oregon, Stanford (and probably should have lost when they played, if not for home cooking). That puts them a tenth best coming out of the bowls. No, it's not they're fault they were the only eligible undefeated, but that doesn't make them a great team, they weren't. Great teams don't get blown out on the biggest stage.

So we've got Joeckel, Werner, Jarvis Jones, Lotulelei, and Moore as our consensus top 5 right? Safe to say Te'o saw his stock plummet after that dismal national title game performance.

I don't know if a team reaches on Geno Smith or Mike Glennon or some other QB though. That always changes things.

Yeah I think Smith still ends up going in the Top 5, if only because some team will want to trade up before Arizona can take him at #7.

Glennon would end up being a terrible pick in the first round, let alone Top 5 but that's just me.

I'm with you, Geno Smith is the only 1st round QB out there. But teams are desperate for a QB. Geno going to KC wouldn't shock me, he's the kind of QB that Andy Reid likes. Mobile with a deep ball, much like McNabb. Yes, it would be a reach to pick him 1st but with the new rookie contract scaling it won't hurt them all that much. Glennon to someone like Buffalo or a Jacksonville team that trades down to the mid-1st won't shock me though.

I mean, without a doubt KC would be better off taking Jarvis Jones or Lotulelei, who I think are the best two talents in the draft this year. Jones looks like Von Miller and Loutlelei like Ngata or Wilfork. Nobody can go wrong by taking Joeckel first either, but I highly doubt that's the route KC will be going.

Glennon in the 1st round wouldn't be any sort of shock or anything. Hell, it'd be a shit ton better than trading up to get Tebow. That said, he's likely 2nd or 3rd round (along with all the other QB's). Of all the QB's in this draft I think he's got the most pro potential though.

Joeckel had reasons to stay especially considering there's the rookie wage scale. I'm certainly not surprised but I'd have been equally non-surprised to see him stay.

Boyd is staying at Clemson for his senior year. Lewan is staying at Michigan. Huge news for both schools.

Also, the 4 players with a pulse at Tennessee declared for the draft. Ouch.

I think Tennessee finally loses 8 games in Butch Jones' first year. Last program not to do it. He's going to have a rough start.

Losing Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson is definitely going to hurt. Tyler Bray being gone could actually be a good thing, depending on who else they have at the QB position. When I heard the other guy was going pro, my first reaction was `WHO?'. Darrington Sentimore (that other guy) is making a mistake, I think, and I'll be surprised if he makes in the NFL.

Bray I think will end up a backup or maybe even on a practice squad, sadly.

3 freshmen have also decided to leave, by the way.

I said my piece in the NFL thread, I figured at some point he'd make the jump, someone who has climbed all the way from Grand Valley State isn't stopping in college, but I was thinking he'd see a class of his through before doing it. He might be interviewing more to get a raise from ND right now.

Also, my top 5 next year.

1. Ohio State

2. Alabama

3. Texas A&M

4. Stanford

5. South Carolina

Clemson have to be considered serious contenders for an undefeated season followed by a trouncing in the national title game though. Just really need to get through FSU and South Carolina during the regular season. Clowney could be the Heisman favorite too.