2012 NCAA College Football Thread

Is there anything to the rumor of Saban leaving after the national title game to try the NFL again? I mean, he's got a successor there already in Smart and he's got nothing left to prove win or lose, he's had the greatest 4 year run a coach can basically have. It's obvious the only reason Kirby Smart's stayed at Bama is to take the reigns whenever Saban leaves, which has led me to think that's sooner rather than later. Coaches in waiting never stay on board too long, look at Muschamp.

Is there anything to the rumor of Saban leaving after the national title game to try the NFL again? I mean, he's got a successor there already in Smart and he's got nothing left to prove win or lose, he's had the greatest 4 year run a coach can basically have. It's obvious the only reason Kirby Smart's stayed at Bama is to take the reigns whenever Saban leaves, which has led me to think that's sooner rather than later. Coaches in waiting never stay on board too long, look at Muschamp.

More too it than that, it was just his way out ;)

As for Saban, I don't think it's any more than media dipshits doing what they do best. He recently said this on the LeBatard Show:

"This has been a good thing for my family to be here," Saban said. "College football has been very good for us. The positive impact that you can have on these young men as players and as people, that's just something that we really enjoy and something that I learned about myself."

"I really enjoy what I'm doing here right now. I'm getting old now. I don't think we've got too many moves left in us. You develop a lot of relationships and loyalties to the players you recruit and the players you have on the team and the people you have in the organization. I don't think it's really fair to leave. I regretted when I left LSU because I left a lot of relationships there. Hopefully I'll be able to stay here for a long, long time."

I think the only guy that Alvarez even wanted from an AQ school was Chryst but because he JUST took over at Pitt, he wasn't going to leave. Everybody else that was rumored to be in the mix were from smaller schools, an alum or Chris Peterson.

More too it than that, it was just his way out ;)

As for Saban, I don't think it's any more than media dipshits doing what they do best. He recently said this on the LeBatard Show:

"This has been a good thing for my family to be here," Saban said. "College football has been very good for us. The positive impact that you can have on these young men as players and as people, that's just something that we really enjoy and something that I learned about myself."

Pretty sure that sorority girl Saban's daughter beat up would not feel the same way. (Everyone else in Tuscaloosa pretty much feels the exact opposite, however.)

The thing with Kiffin is he has the excuse of not having enough depth due to the scholarship restrictions to hep him right now, that all changes real soon though and if he doesn't do well over the next 2 seasons I think he's gone.

His father is leaving, though, so I expect their defense to be worse next year.

And I couldn't be happier than Kiffin isn't doing as well as expected at USC. :)

His father leaving was the best thing that could ever have happened to that defense.

Also, there's a possibility of three college head coaches headed to the NFL. O'Brien might be leaving Penn State, Chip Kelly is obviously a front-runner for a lot of jobs, and apparently Doug Marrone out of Syracuse is interviewing for some jobs.

No doubt Clowney is the top pick in 2014. He's in the Heisman discussion too for next year, he finished 6th this time around I think.

I wasn't sure on the specifics of the buy-out clause for O'Brien. That changes things a bit, but he was also allegedly misled by them when he got hired. It's said he was told the Jerry Sandusky scandal was a legal matter and there wouldn't be sanctions placed on the program. In most professions you can void a buyout if that's the case and there's enough evidence, Penn State might let him walk for fear of even more problems.