Holy shit Tom Gabel

EndOfAnEra

Is that UK Big Brother? I don't think that gets any airtime here, so I wouldn't say that counts anywhere but in the UK. I'm not saying that in a jingoistic AMERICAFUCKYEAH way, but rather in that Against Me! are known in both the US and UK and elsewhere (evidenced by who is commenting in this thread).

Also, USA! USA! USA!

There's stil a huge difference in visibility though! Most people that I talk to wouldn't know who that is; hell, I've only heard of her because I'm interested in this sort of thing! On the other hand, this is going to be a big article in a big magazine about THE person (because who can name any of her bandmates?? There was, like, the guy from Hot Water Music, right?) in a band that gets played on Monday Night Football. Especially as Against Me! are recording an album right now, so combined with this news we'll be hearing a lot about them in the coming months.

Maybe I worded the original question wrong (but I'm not going back to see if I did, I'll just assume I did). I'm not trying to say there's never been a transsexual in the spotlight before. I'm saying there's never been one that was already this integrated into mainstream pop culture (which is a recent revelation to me, I never realized how big Against Me! was until I saw how much press this was getting and finding out who amongst my non-punky friends had already heard of them), and so this is a great chance to have the sort of mature conversation that can educate the general public about gender dysphoria.

Also, I looked up that lady from Big Brother. She won in 2004, is she still relevant today?

Oh, you edited. I'd argue that Tom Gabel is fairly mainstream. LadyDaniel liked two musical acts, Jason Mraz and Placebo (>_>), yet when I came home the day the news came out she already knew about it and had heard of Against Me! (not through me, like I said I usually like to pretend they don't exist). Plus, the article is in Rolling Stone! How much more mainstream can you get for a musical publication??

none of this stuff even matters cause Against Me are rubbish :/

The early EPs and the first CD are great. But Tom also acted like a asshole to the D.I.Y. scene, so I usually like to pretend he doesn't exist. However, I'm still happy that she is taking steps to "become" the person she really is. Its also nice to see a mainstream role model for other transpeople. I mean, really, can you think of any other trans- in the mainstream media?

I'd argue that Tom got treated a bit like shit the minute they signed, and he maybe grew up and realized the faults of those ideas in the first place.

I wasn't personally involved but I know people who were, so if you want to know the story bring it up in like a week or so and I'll be happy to talk about it :P

Not that I claim to know the whole story myself, just what I've been able to piece together.

LArry/Lana Wachowski?