Holy shit Tom Gabel

EndOfAnEra

I dunno, I always thought about that. Do you call someone her based on how they identify or based off the actual physicality? Anyways it doesn't really matter to me and it's a longer conversation that wasn't intended. I am very curious what will happen with the band sound-wise down the road after all the hormones take affect, should they stick around. Huge step for that community.

Good for her. I wrote about it today, touched upon what a shame it is that she really didn't have a choice in revealing this publicly. It could have been done in secret, but it would have been obvious and questions would have arose and then the rest of band would be put in an unfair position of answering for her.

Do you call someone her based on how they identify

Yes.

And then I've met people who are transgendered that disagree and didn't want to be called her until they finished the process. And then I have gay friends who want to be called her but identify as men. So really, I don't think it's always that clear cut.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

You call a person what they want to be called. In lieu of them correcting you and telling you directly how they wish to be addressed, pay attention to the words they use or approve being used about them. From the article:

Gabel, who will soon go by the name Laura Jane Grace, says the hardest part of the process was explaining the situation to her wife, Heather.

So as of this article Gabel wants to be called her, either that or the article author misgendered Gabel repeatedly (less likely).

Anyway, good for her for living her life honest to how she feels inside and not letting anyone else define her and force her to live a lie. On the other hand, shame on her for fronting Against Me.

• Like 2

Do you call someone her based on how they identify

Yes.

And then I've met people who are transgendered that disagree and didn't want to be called her until they finished the process. And then I have gay friends who want to be called her but identify as men. So really, I don't think it's always that clear cut.

If they're transgendered and DON'T want to be called her, they're probably not transgendered. The whole ide of gender dysmorphia is that you believe you were born into the wrong gender. Consequently, if you believed you were a female why would you want to be referred to as a male?

• Like 1

Perhaps some people would rather only be called "her" post-op, as a kind of acknowledgment of the change? Like, beforehand they knew they were female, but now they're female to the world, and should be acknowledged as such?

What I'm interested in knowing in this instance is what is going to happen with Laura and Heather's marriage, legally.

Nothing from what an advocacy group has said. That state recognizes the marriage at the time of it happening, and anything changing after that has no bearing. Here's the article:

http://m.mtv.com/news/article.rbml?id=1684798&weburl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtv.com%2Fnews%2Farticles%2F1684798%2Fagainst-me-tom-gabel-transgender.jhtml&alt=http%3A%2F%2Fm.mtv.com%2Fnews%2Findex.rbml&cid=300

They're staying together too, which is cool to hear. I hope their kid doesn't have a hard time with it.

Perhaps some people would rather only be called "her" post-op, as a kind of acknowledgment of the change? Like, beforehand they knew they were female, but now they're female to the world, and should be acknowledged as such?

That's the idea I was given.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

Would you people stop with the god damn shit over the gender pronouns? Nothing is more irritating than someone pulling a "No man, it's Tom and I, not me and Tom" thing, especially here where it wasn't really meant and therefore doesn't matter.

First of all, no.

Second of all, the example you raised is in no way related to the actual debate that was going on.