EWB-Play Along: Pokémon!

Monkey D. Lars

UPDATE:

I just beat Bugsy and Silver. I've been caring for sick family members recently, so I haven't had much time to play... and now I'm sick, so I'll probably try to fit as much time as I can into the game before the 30th.

CHIKARita, Lv. 14

GeodusClay, Lv. 19

Mareeyse, Lv. 15

Wooper T, Lv. 13

UltraManto, Lv. 8

Mareeyse is, obviously, a Mareep (although it literally JUST evolved into a Flaaffy); and UltraManto is because I had an idea to turn "UltraMantis Black" into a name for a Togepi, but the ten-character limit obviously hindered that.

UPDATE:

I just beat Bugsy and Silver. I've been caring for sick family members recently, so I haven't had much time to play... and now I'm sick, so I'll probably try to fit as much time as I can into the game before the 30th.

CHIKARita, Lv. 14

GeodusClay, Lv. 19

Mareeyse, Lv. 15

Wooper T, Lv. 13

UltraManto, Lv. 8

Mareeyse is, obviously, a Mareep (although it literally JUST evolved into a Flaaffy); and UltraManto is because I had an idea to turn "UltraMantis Black" into a name for a Togepi, but the ten-character limit obviously hindered that.

Wooper T is the best name ever.

Well there were no troubles beating Lt. Surge, but tragically we lost a trooper on our way to Celadon City. Against some no name Biker's Grimer, sweet Aida the Butterfree perished to a critical hit Sludge. May she rest in peace.

Active Team:

Spr_3f_083.pngSpr_3f_044.pngSpr_3f_008.pngSpr_3f_020.pngSpr_3f_056.png

- CH'DING ♀ (Farfetch'd), Lvl 24

Peck, Sand-Attack, Knock Off, Fury Attack

- JÜRGEN ♀ (Gloom), Lvl 26

Absorb, Sweet Scent, Acid, Sleep Powder

- JENS ♂ (Wartortle), Lvl 34

Bite, Rapid Spin, Water Gun, Withdraw

- DOMINIK ♂ (Raticate), Lvl 23

Cut, Focus Energy, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

- ANDERS ♂ (Mankey), Lvl 19

Leer, Low Kick, Karate Chop, Fury Swipes

Hall of Pain:

Spr_3f_012.png

- AIDA ♀ (Butterfree), Lvl 19

Met in VIRIDIAN FOREST, Lvl 3

Got a bit frustrated with the emulator for the RPG. Went back to my LeafGreen cartridge, Started with Charmander - intending to play through with a team i've never used before. Open to suggestions!

Possiblities include:

My oft-discussed mono-poison team.

Eeveelutions (Except Flareon)

Aerodactyl

Dragonite (Tried Dratini once, got impatient before it even got to Dragonair)

Clefable

One of Starmie/Dewgong/Seadra/Kingler/Tentacruel/Cloyster (My water type has traditionally been the Water starter, Gyarados or Lapras. I use water starters a lot. Leaning towards Cloyster noes FireRed exclusive! or Kingler if I take one from this group)

Persian

Electrode

Exeggutor

Marowak

Got to Cerulean in AshGray and found out I can't use Pikachu against Misty. This wouldn't be a problem if I had caught any other Pokemon on the way. It's just I only want to catch those in my planned 6 at the moment of Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Crabby. Put together a makeshift team of Rattata, Mankey and Ekans because they were local. Just grinding their levels up now. Might end up keeping Arbok in the end though, never used one.

OK, i've narrowed it down to these options - Mono-Poisons, or Semi-balanced team of Charizard + Pokemon i've never used:

Beedrill

Nidoqueen

Venomoth

Tentacruel

Muk

Weezing

OR

Charizard

Marowak

Exeggutor

Aerodactyl

Clefable

Kingler

Most votes by Pewter (or first to like...three) wins!

In your mono-poison, I'd suggest throwing Crobat in. It's fast, tough, will evade Giovanni's ground attacks, and can learn dark moves and status moves that will probably be a difference maker against Sabrina. Also, a poison team without a grass/poison combo is an odd choice, especially since the leach seed/giga drain/poisoned combo can be unforgivingly brutal - chuck Venusaur in there or something. I'd say take out Beedrill (better covered by Venomoth) and either Weezing or Muk (Weezing may be better with levitate, but Muk's a solid mix of offence and defence).

I used Venusaur and Crobat heavily on my last LeafGreen and Pearl playthroughs. I'm really resistant to both of them. Butterfree and Haunter are on the poison shortlist, but they're in teams on currently-active games on other cartridges (Blue and HeartGold respectively)

OK, i've narrowed it down to these options - Mono-Poisons, or Semi-balanced team of Charizard + Pokemon i've never used:

Beedrill

Nidoqueen

Venomoth

Tentacruel

Muk

Weezing

OR

Charizard

Marowak

Exeggutor

Aerodactyl

Clefable

Kingler

Most votes by Pewter (or first to like...three) wins!

Second team. Charizard is awesome, Marowak is a goddamn beast, Exeggutor and Aerodactyl are just awesome, Clefable is the ultimate utility, and Kingler is a cool unorthodox choice (at least before GenIV).

How about Victreebell or Vileplume in place of Venusaur? Weezing should cover you somewhat for Giovanni, so your biggest issue will be Sabrina. Arbok can carry Crunch (and Mud Bomb later, which is useful for many of Giovanni's ground types, as most of them are also a rock/poison type), so that might be an option, but Nidorina learns Bite anyway, and Crunch later (though much later than Arbok).