2012/2013 MLB Offseason Thread

Lint

Rays extend Evan Longoria with an additional 6 years, 100m and now have him under control through 2022 (age 37 season). If you take salary escalation into account it's a high risk, but really high reward move and it's so cool to see a small market team extending its franchise player through possibly the rest of his career. Not enough career franchise guys anymore, and when they do exist they tend to be Yankees.

Yeah I like the fact that Tampa appears to have a vision to build around Longoria for the next decade and see where it takes them. They're really well run despite the small market and lack of fan support (which appears to slowly be changing). The polar opposites of their cross-state rivals.

It shouldn't even really need restructuring. If you're averaging 16.66m per year, right now that's the going rate for a 3-3.5 win player. Longoria is already a perennial 4-5 win player, and by 2016 when the extension kicks in that salary will be somewhere in the range of a 2 1/2 win player based on predictions for future player salaries (and those calculations were pre ESPN's new contract). So as average salaries escalate, it's logical to assume that Longoria's deal will be very team friendly at the start, and the continued inflation of player salaries should be enough to offset his inevitable performance decline. Based on average player salary escalation of 5% a year, he'll really only have to be an average regular in 2022 to be worth that dollar figure.

It shouldn't even really need restructuring. If you're averaging 16.66m per year, right now that's the going rate for a 3-3.5 win player. Longoria is already a perennial 4-5 win player, and by 2016 when the extension kicks in that salary will be somewhere in the range of a 2 1/2 win player based on predictions for future player salaries (and those calculations were pre ESPN's new contract). So as average salaries escalate, it's logical to assume that Longoria's deal will be very team friendly at the start, and the continued inflation of player salaries should be enough to offset his inevitable performance decline. Based on average player salary escalation of 5% a year, he'll really only have to be an average regular in 2022 to be worth that dollar figure.

:huh: Damn you and your sabermetrics! Put it in laymens terms!

:huh: Damn you and your sabermetrics! Put it in laymens terms!

Fair. That average annual value in 2012 dollars gets you an above average regular, occasional all-star. Longoria is already a perennial all-star candidate, and should still be in his prime (albeit at the end) when the contract kicks in. Because player salaries tend to escalate 5 percent a year, the contract value is fair in today's terms and would be very favourable in 2017 terms (with salaries having escalated 25% over those 5 years). He'll age and decline as it goes on, but if you project salaries continuing to go up, the contract should still be fair value so long as he's good enough to play everyday at the end of it.

Phils' Carlos Ruiz banned 25 games

PHILADELPHIA -- Add catcher to the Philadelphia Phillies' needs this offseason.

All-Star Carlos Ruiz was suspended Tuesday for the first 25 games of next season following a positive test for an amphetamine. The 33-year-old catcher had a career year in 2012, hitting .325 with 16 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games.

"I am sincerely regretful for my mistake in taking a prohibited stimulant," Ruiz said in a statement issued by the Major League Baseball Players Association. "I apologize to my teammates, the Phillies organization and the Philadelphia fans. I will serve the imposed 25-game suspension to begin the season and I look forward to returning to the field and working toward bringing a championship back to Philadelphia in 2013."

Ruiz will be eligible to participate in spring training, including exhibition games.

"The Phillies fully support Major League Baseball's drug program," the team said. "We are disappointed by the news of this violation of the program. We will support Carlos in an appropriate manner and move forward to achieve our goal to play championship-caliber baseball in 2013."

Erik Kratz will likely begin the 2013 season as Philadelphia's starting catcher while Ruiz serves his suspension. Kratz, a career minor leaguer, filled in nicely when he finally got a chance after Ruiz went down with a foot injury. Kratz hit .248, but had nine doubles, nine homers and 26 RBIs in only 141 at-bats. Kratz also threw out 45 percent of base-stealers (15 of 33).

Still, losing Ruiz hurts a lineup that struggled mightily last year. Ruiz moved up from his usual No. 8 spot and took over for an injured Ryan Howard as the team's cleanup hitter for a chunk of the season. He batted fifth after Howard returned in July.

The Phillies, who finished 81-81 after winning five straight NL East titles, have several holes to fill. Only Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins are certain regulars. Utley, though, didn't play until late May in 2011 and late June in 2012 because of chronic knee injuries.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. hopes to add a starting center fielder, another starting outfielder and a third baseman either through free agency or trades. Now he'll also need a backup catcher for Kratz for the first month. Brian Schneider served as the team's primary backup the last three seasons, but only batted .212 in 122 games.

The Phillies have two top prospects catching in the minors. Sebastian Valle hit .253 with 17 homers and 58 RBIs in 80 games at Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Tommy Joseph, acquired in the trade that sent Hunter Pence to San Francisco, hit .257 with 11 homers and 48 RBIs for the Giants' and Phillies' Double-A affiliates.

Ruiz became the eighth player suspended this year under the major league testing program, the second for amphetamines following Baltimore shortstop Ryan Adams. The eight suspensions are the most since 2007.

This had to be Ruiz's second positive test for a stimulant. An initial positive for a stimulant does not trigger a suspension, only that the player must undergo follow-up testing. There have been 102 suspensions this year under the minor league testing program.

The 2012 Philadelphia Sports scene is killing me :crying:

Phils' Carlos Ruiz banned 25 games

PHILADELPHIA -- Add catcher to the Philadelphia Phillies' needs this offseason.

All-Star Carlos Ruiz was suspended Tuesday for the first 25 games of next season following a positive test for an amphetamine. The 33-year-old catcher had a career year in 2012, hitting .325 with 16 homers and 68 RBIs in 114 games.

"I am sincerely regretful for my mistake in taking a prohibited stimulant," Ruiz said in a statement issued by the Major League Baseball Players Association. "I apologize to my teammates, the Phillies organization and the Philadelphia fans. I will serve the imposed 25-game suspension to begin the season and I look forward to returning to the field and working toward bringing a championship back to Philadelphia in 2013."

Ruiz will be eligible to participate in spring training, including exhibition games.

"The Phillies fully support Major League Baseball's drug program," the team said. "We are disappointed by the news of this violation of the program. We will support Carlos in an appropriate manner and move forward to achieve our goal to play championship-caliber baseball in 2013."

Erik Kratz will likely begin the 2013 season as Philadelphia's starting catcher while Ruiz serves his suspension. Kratz, a career minor leaguer, filled in nicely when he finally got a chance after Ruiz went down with a foot injury. Kratz hit .248, but had nine doubles, nine homers and 26 RBIs in only 141 at-bats. Kratz also threw out 45 percent of base-stealers (15 of 33).

Still, losing Ruiz hurts a lineup that struggled mightily last year. Ruiz moved up from his usual No. 8 spot and took over for an injured Ryan Howard as the team's cleanup hitter for a chunk of the season. He batted fifth after Howard returned in July.

The Phillies, who finished 81-81 after winning five straight NL East titles, have several holes to fill. Only Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins are certain regulars. Utley, though, didn't play until late May in 2011 and late June in 2012 because of chronic knee injuries.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. hopes to add a starting center fielder, another starting outfielder and a third baseman either through free agency or trades. Now he'll also need a backup catcher for Kratz for the first month. Brian Schneider served as the team's primary backup the last three seasons, but only batted .212 in 122 games.

The Phillies have two top prospects catching in the minors. Sebastian Valle hit .253 with 17 homers and 58 RBIs in 80 games at Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Tommy Joseph, acquired in the trade that sent Hunter Pence to San Francisco, hit .257 with 11 homers and 48 RBIs for the Giants' and Phillies' Double-A affiliates.

Ruiz became the eighth player suspended this year under the major league testing program, the second for amphetamines following Baltimore shortstop Ryan Adams. The eight suspensions are the most since 2007.

This had to be Ruiz's second positive test for a stimulant. An initial positive for a stimulant does not trigger a suspension, only that the player must undergo follow-up testing. There have been 102 suspensions this year under the minor league testing program.

The 2012 Philadelphia Sports scene is killing me :crying:

Well theres always the Eag..no...you can always turn on the Fly..errs..dammit. I don't follow basketball..does Iverson still play for the Sixers? He's pretty good, right?

I'm pretty sure Iverson plays in Europe now or something.

Yeah, no Iverson, Lint. But I do like Jrue and Thad. But back with the Chooch thing, it's pretty funny because I was just reading an article a day or two ago talking about MLB's issue with Adderall.

Yea I was joking about the Iverson thing. And its not just MLB. Its been happening alot in the NFL also. Read an article that said "Its adderall" is becoming the latest version of the "tainted OTC suppliment" excuse

Amphetamines are nothing new to baseball. The newsworthy thing is that it's Adderall, a medication often prescribed to juveniles for ADHD that is in turn being used to gain a competitive edge in baseball. The medication is so widespread and well-known that instead of it being "banned substance" or a similar phrase it's just convenient to state Adderall. Really it's no different than any other supplement players have been taken since the 1960's and in some cases earlier.

Well the Hall of Fame ballot for this year is out, and it's got the controversy machine turned on already.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21176468/bonds-clemens-headline-official-bbwaa-hall-of-fame-ballot

Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa - Steroids

Edgar Martinez - DH

Schilling, Morris - Postseason excellence but not "Hall of Fame" numbers

Biggio, Bagwell - Locks and it would be nice if they both went in together

The irony of this ballot is that we may see a few guys who could/should have been in a while ago (Bagwell, Martinez, Raines, Trammell) finally make it in at the expense of those marked by THE STEROID ERA!~ It's going to be pretty awesome to see a Hall of Fame that doesn't include the all time leaders in hits, homers/MVPs and Cy Youngs/a guy with 350+ wins.

David Wright and the Mets agree to a 7-year, $122 million contract extension. He'll be a Met through the 2020 season (his age 37 season). $17 million a year, which seems right on par with what the other top third basemen are being paid.

I'm doing backflips right now. I fully expected the Mets to cock these contract negotiations up and let the best offensive player in their history walk away with nothing. Love Wright so much. :wub: