The January 2013 Transfer Window Thread

Lineker

All I read was that a paper said Guardiola wants Suarez and Falcao. Seems like lazy journalism to me.

I'd also like Suarez and Falcao at Doncaster, but I can't see it happening.

Yeah, it's changed. First thing this morning it was all about how he wanted Suarez for £40m, now they're reporting he's "identified Suarez and Falcao as potential targets." Hopefully it's bullshit. Still worries the shit out of me every time Luis is linked with a move :(

Newcastle are set to conclude deals for Nancy's Masadio Haidara and Montpellier's Yanga-Mbiwa. Together, they will cost 11M.

Liverpool are still negotiating with Inter, trying to make a move for Philippe Coutinho.

Djibril Cissé joined Al-Gharafa on loan until the end of the season.

Still, £40mils a good price for him. Spent in the right way it could it could fast forward Liverpools rebuilding a few years.

Or 1 or 2 overpriced English youngsters.

• Like 1

Still, £40mils a good price for him. Spent in the right way it could it could fast forward Liverpools rebuilding a few years.

Or 1 or 2 overpriced English youngsters.

Downing wasn't even a youngster.

Edit: Oh, forgot about Carroll.

Stuff like this, and John W. Henry saying he's "broke" on Twitter, is genuinely worrying me about where the money we need is going to come from. Everybody's writing this season off on the condition that we're gonna spend in the summer, but I'm concerned that we're going to be operating a sell to buy mentality anyway.

A straight swap of Reina for Valdes is being bandied about. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

John Henry hasn't tweeted since July and that was mostly Instagram photos. So when did he tweet that?

It's pretty clear FSG are gone on a 180 from that first summer and don't want to overspend again anytime soon.

Inter are broke though. :shifty:

Stuff like this, and John W. Henry saying he's "broke" on Twitter, is genuinely worrying me about where the money we need is going to come from. Everybody's writing this season off on the condition that we're gonna spend in the summer, but I'm concerned that we're going to be operating a sell to buy mentality anyway.

A straight swap of Reina for Valdes is being bandied about. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

I find Reina better than Valdes, plus he can speak English. Still if it has to happen, Valdes isn't a bad replacement.

I can't believe the only bid on Sneijder was from Galatasaray. He'll make great money there and live in a beautiful city but come on, he deserves better than the Turkish competition. I fully expected a big English club to go for him. Hell, why not Arsenal?

John Henry hasn't tweeted since July and that was mostly Instagram photos. So when did he tweet that?

It's pretty clear FSG are gone on a 180 from that first summer and don't want to overspend again anytime soon.

Inter are broke though. :shifty:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/hacked-or-a-denial-john-w-henry-tweets-im-broke-to-bring-wesley-sneijder-to-liverpool/

Kurt Angle is apparently operating his Twitter account.

The thing is, I think we're closer than ever to the point that we need to replace Reina. You just don't know what you're going to get from him on any given game, be it the impenetrable rock he once was, or the sloppy stopper that makes unforgivable mistakes. And to be honest, I don't think his heart is at Anfield anymore. We need some consistency at the back in general, which is why I'm not totally opposed to either replacing or rotating Reina, Skrtel and Enrique next season.

The trouble is, I'm not sure of any realistic GK targets that I'd be comfortable with replacing him. Valdes and Vorm are pretty much it. Rodgers apparently fancies Al-Habsi but I'm not convinced.

Edit: I thought our double posts attach themselves to the end of our last message now?

Sunderland are close to completing a loan deal for Lazio striker Mauro Zárate.

After having a 2.5M bid rejected, Newcastle now offered 3.5M for 19-year-old Bastia midfielder Florian Thauvin.

Inter and Liverpool are getting close to a deal for Coutinho ( 7M + clauses more or less ), according to Italian newspapers.

An English club offered 750K for Bordeaux's Yoan Gouffran, although the club wants 1M. Newcastle are rumoured to be that club.

Liedson is set to go back to Portugal to play for FC Porto, after a failed instint with Flamengo.

Edited by RafaelFms
  • Like 1

We've had periods in which we have been a sell to buy club anyway. The Hodgson/Dalglish season in which FSG took over we made something like 5/6 mil profit and in Rafa's last two seasons the year we finished 2nd we spent 6mil more than we had sold and his last season in charge we made nearly 10mil.

But I think because of what happened last summer with the splashing the cash on Henderson/Downing who are now starting to deliver and offer something to the team now I don't blame the owners for being tight as we don't have an endless money pit like City or Chelsea, plus when you consider the disaster of last seasons spending you can't see them wanting to repeat that. At least we have cut the wage budget down a lot this season by getting rid of the likes of Joe Cole, Aquilani etc

BBC reporting Man Utd bidding 17m for Zaha. If theyre that desperate for a talented young English striker, couldnt they always, y'know, play Welbeck?

Danny Welbeck isn't the same type of player as Zaha. I dare say Zaha is already better than him, but I'll reserve that until I've seen him play a few Prem games. Still, £17million is quite steep and not really any different from Liverpool signing the likes of Henderson and Carroll for big money.

I actually want him to join Arsenal.