The Oscars 2013

Jimmy

I think Seth McFarlane was fine as the host. Had a few good jokes, a few stinkers.

The only time he made me laugh was at the very beginning of his monologue when he referenced Tommy Lee at the Golden Globes. It was all downhill from there. "Ha ha, objectification of women!" "Ha ha, domestic violence!" "Ha ha, Zero Dark Thirty was an example of a woman's innate ability to never let anything go ha ha!" "Ha ha facial hair makes women look like men" "Ha ha orgy at Jack Nicholson's house its funny because Roman Polanski was convicted of drugging and raping a girl there ha ha!" "Ha ha no one cares what Selma Hayek says, we just wanna look at them titties ha ha!"

Go away, Seth. Go away and never come back.

• Like 4

Honestly, most of that stuff seems to be a flaw based in who's telling the joke. The only things I thought were groan-inducingly awful were the Chris Brown joke (really? at the Oscars?), doing the entire stupid song that was "meant" to be awful and offensive but was really just bet-hedging, and humblebragging about his own movie before bringing the character out to be just as ineffective as every other animated character that has ever presented at the Oscars.

Otherwise it's just... oh no, a joke about how Salma Hayek is attractive and has a thick accent? HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTER. Only Seth MacFarlane would ever stoop so low as to say that!

• Like 3

Honestly, most of that stuff seems to be a flaw based in who's telling the joke. The only things I thought were groan-inducingly awful were the Chris Brown joke (really? at the Oscars?), doing the entire stupid song that was "meant" to be awful and offensive but was really just bet-hedging, and humblebragging about his own movie before bringing the character out to be just as ineffective as every other animated character that has ever presented at the Oscars.

Otherwise it's just... oh no, a joke about how Salma Hayek is attractive and has a thick accent? HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTER. Only Seth MacFarlane would ever stoop so low as to say that!

Boom. Nailed it.

The Selema Hayek "joke," for example, definitely wasn't HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTER worthy. However, that shit adds up over the course of a few hours.

Of course, I'm also not calling for him to be lynched or anything. But I am saying that he was a terrible shit host who should never be invited back.

• Like 4

Boom. Nailed it.

Also, I'm never one to defend Seth MacFarlane but... Yup. According to Twitter, The Daily Mail (UK shitrag FYI) is attacking him while objectifying red carpet pictures as we speak. I refuse to give them web traffic to find out.

MacFarlane's problem is, two-thirds of Ted aside, his brand of comedy has been lazy/too easy since 2005.

It really didn't, though. It was just an example of a string of fairly innocuous jokes that most comedians who host would have made a variation on.

By Oscar standards he was an okay host. Would have been a better host if someone had edited him and made him skew closer to his fetishism for 1940s showtunes than "shit I do Family Guy and Ted and edgy comedies, better not let those fans down." Unlike Zombie "Blackface is Still Okay Right?" Billy Crystal last year he at least was self-aware and capable of winning back a room, and unlike Franco/Hathaway two years ago he wasn't a gigantic sprawling trainwreck. I don't really care if he comes back or not but they have done worse and will do worse.

Hopefully not next year, though, because next year better fucking be Fey/Poehler.

• Like 1

Boom. Nailed it.

Also, I'm never one to defend Seth MacFarlane but... Yup. According to Twitter, The Daily Mail (UK shitrag FYI) is attacking him while objectifying red carpet pictures as we speak. I refuse to give them web traffic to find out.

MacFarlane's problem is, two-thirds of Ted aside, his brand of comedy has been lazy/too easy since 2005.

Except in this case it's "Seth MacFarlane called sexist by person who doesn't watch the red carpet at all."

Also, holy shit yes please more Fey and Pohler.

Seriously, his joke about Denzel taking a joke because he was in all those Nutty Professor movies nearly had me spit out my drink.

Maybe I thought he was ok because I have no bias towards or against McFarlane? I didn't find any of his jokes offensive at all. The Chris Brown one was groan inducing, and some were not funny, but I found none of it offensive.

Jennifer Lawrence was awesome last night. I love that both Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper shot straight up to help her too. Ol' Wolverine just can't help himself.

MdbcNJm.jpg

She's my favorite.

• Like 4

Who do you think deserved it over her, Split? Like, not trying to be a dick or anything, I just thought her performance was really quite good (in a movie that I was fairly so-so about) so I'll have to try to track down the movie with whoever you thought did better.

She did a fantastic job in Silver Linings Playbook, and the reason she is a fine selection to have won was because of the fact that she should've won in 2011 for Winter's Bone. That year it went to Natalie Portman (which I was fine with too as she was the probably the only real highlight of Black Swan), but I would've given it to Lawrence.