2013 Summer Transfer Thread

“Of course I would like to play with Ronaldo, he is a great player,” Suárez told Uruguayan radio. “You never know, but it is complicated. At the moment he is in Madrid and I am in Liverpool and I do not know what is going to happen.”

Liverpool are still to receive any official word from Suárez or his camp on whether he will request a transfer, but they are expecting a £40 million offer from the Bernabéu. Rodgers will be keen for a swift resolution on Suárez’s future so he can start to spend on a direct replacement for the South American. The last thing Liverpool want or needs is the situation dragging on to the point where they have little time to act.

There is recent history at Anfield of star strikers moving at the end of the transfer window with damaging consequences. Michael Owen did so to Real Madrid in 2004, giving then manager Rafael Benítez no time to sign a replacement, while Fernando Torres’s last-day exit in January 2010 prompted the panic £35 million signing of Andy Carroll.

Suárez has also reflected on his ‘moment of madness’ leading to his 10-match ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic. “I know I made a mistake in the incident with Ivanovic – it was me, my fault, and he did not do anything to me. I was angry because I had given away a penalty for handball.

"I was the reason for the penalty against my team – I saw red and completely lost it. I can’t really explain it and I am so sorry, but the reaction was amazing.”

First task for mourinho is to work out who Chelsea do and don't own already, damned if I know these days

This is the bonus of buying £50m+ worth of players over the last few years and then keeping them all out on loan - bring them all back and suddenly you realise HOLY HELL WHEN DID OUR SQUAD GET THIS BIG? :P

The Dutch paper Telegraaf claims that Chelsea are set to agree an 8.5 million euro deal (c.£7m) for Vitesse midfielder Marco van Ginkel. http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/vitesse/21638979/__Chelsea__8_5_mln_voor_Van_Ginkel__.html

Given the relationship we have with Vitesse, if we want van Ginkel we'll get him. The question at this stage is really whether we want him at all...or indeed, if he's senior squad material if we do (surely we wouldn't be silly enough to buy him from Vitesse only to then loan him back to...oh wait).

If the above story turns out to be true, you can't really ask for much else. A fee of roughly £7m is cheap as chips - and if he can even be half as good as Azipilicueta (an example because he cost about that much) was in his first season, we're onto a winner.

Ronaldo and Suarez on the same team would be hilarious. They'd essentially be trying to do everything themselves. It's probably not the best idea in practice.

• Like 2

I'm loving the sudden over-optimism and hyperbole that Ant is bringing to VIlla on here. It's almost making me think that this is Villa's year and not Liverpool's like usual. :o

More of EWBs Newcastle and Spurs fans claim it's Liverpool's year than EWB's Liverpool fans ever do! :P

• Like 1