Eurovision 2014

Katsuya

Yes, it's that time of the year again...kind of. The UK representative for Eurovision 2014 will be announced tomorrow night, with the reveal taking place on the Red Button from 7.30pm. It's known that it's a talent who has come from the BBC Introducing talent pool, as the Beeb have actually taken notice that people need to have talent and be "current" when it comes to doing well at Eurovision this year.

All signs point to it being a 25 year old girl called Molly Smitten-Downes, as there's a taping for the music video going on tonight in Soho and it seems a couple of people may have accidentally spilled the beans earlier on Twitter, saying they were supporting her but having to give up their phones etc. to avoid giving anything away (and doing it in the process). She can sing well and would be the most current thing the UK had sent in the past decade if so, which is why I'm hesitant to think it is her <_<

In other countries: Spain are sending Ruth Lorenzo, who was *awesome* on the UK X Factor the year of Alex Burke, JLS, Diana Vickers...and Eoghan Quigg, who rightfully lost the Irish final to a much better song this weekend. Generally though, there's been no standout song yet, with Spain and maybe Romania being the best with a shot at winning.

So...Manchester 2015, anyone?

(Oh, and Copenhagen, Emmelie de Forest as interval act, etc. etc.)

Thoughts on some of the songs I've listened to:

• Yeah, Romania is pretty cool, and I see why it's an early favourite
  • Ireland's is really quite good, and I hope they do alright.
  • Spain's is great, good job X Factor lady
  • Man, I like the Hungarian song, but it's a bit off putting that it's about child abuse...
  • Iceland, what compelled you to pick that song. I'm so disappointed in you.
  • I can't get into the French one, but moustache song so ehh.

Okay.

Romania's song is really great, and I like it the more I hear it.

Latvia are the worst ever.

Norway's is boring and dumb but at least it's not Latvia.

And yeah Estonia's song is awesome. I'd be happy for either them or Romania to win personally.

Fuck Latvia's entry.

• 3 weeks later...

Romania's song is Miracle right? If so, I don't like it at all. I'm sick of cliché dance songs, I feel like anyone could make those. What do you guys think of Netherlands' entry this year? Another slow song. I actually really like it but it's definitely not a Eurovisiony type song, so it'll probably fail big time;

• 3 weeks later...

We're about two weeks away. Listened to all songs entered now. Ireland, Spain, Sweden and Ukraine all have a good chance. Romania and Estonia are probably going to do well, but those are pretty bland. Georgia, Latvia, Belarus and Switzerland are all vastly more entertaining than all of them though, so I hope they make it to the finals for the sake of variety.