Eurovision 2014

Katsuya

Looking back I may have been a little hasty on my "Europe hates us" statement. I was kind of upset we did so badly at the time so that was probably my anger talking and nothing else. Something has definitely changed since 1997, which is the last time we won, but it might well be that we've just been sending the wrong songs, or not advertising them in the rest of Europe nearly enough. As has already been pointed out we came fifth in 2009 which was a very respectable result, and that was in large part due to Andrew Lloyd Webber promoting the shit out of it. I think it's time to acknowledge that if we're not prepared to do something similar in the future, or change the songs that we send to the contest significantly, what happened to Molly will keep happening.

As for the winner, I was delighted that Austria won, as Conchita richly deserved it. She sang with the most passion of the night, the song itself was pretty damn good in its own right and greatly benefited from not having a real 'gimmick' aside from who the singer was. The live crowd went absolutely bonkers for it. I really liked Netherlands' entry too, it was completely different to anything else on the show & that was probably the reason it managed to come 2nd. Armenia's song was atrocious and I'm glad that Sweden managed to pip them to the post right at the end for 3rd.

Oh, and spare a thought for poor old Slovenia. They had a really good & memorable entry this year and they somehow managed to only score 9 points, 7 ahead of that godawful moustache song from France that probably wouldn't have even made the cut had France not got automatic qualification...

Looking back I may have been a little hasty on my "Europe hates us" statement. I was kind of upset we did so badly at the time so that was probably my anger talking and nothing else. Something has definitely changed since 1997, which is the last time we won, but it might well be that we've just been sending the wrong songs, or not advertising them in the rest of Europe nearly enough. As has already been pointed out we came fifth in 2009 which was a very respectable result, and that was in large part due to Andrew Lloyd Webber promoting the shit out of it. I think it's time to acknowledge that if we're not prepared to do something similar in the future, or change the songs that we send to the contest significantly, what happened to Molly will keep happening.

As for the winner, I was delighted that Austria won, as Conchita richly deserved it. She sang with the most passion of the night, the song itself was pretty damn good in its own right and greatly benefited from not having a real 'gimmick' aside from who the singer was. The live crowd went absolutely bonkers for it. I really liked Netherlands' entry too, it was completely different to anything else on the show & that was probably the reason it managed to come 2nd. Armenia's song was atrocious and I'm glad that Sweden managed to pip them to the post right at the end for 3rd.

Oh, and spare a thought for poor old Slovenia. They had a really good & memorable entry this year and they somehow managed to only score 9 points, 7 ahead of that godawful moustache song from France that probably wouldn't have even made the cut had France not got automatic qualification...

So like the UK? :P

Molly's song was well received at the second semi-final though, unlike Moustache (as far as I know), which had nul points written all over it and somehow managed to score a couple of points. Looking at the entries that didn't have to go through qualification, only Spain & Denmark managed a top 10 finish. It's entirely possible that the countries that do need to qualify feel hard done by and don't vote for the automatic entries as a result