Eurovision 2014

Katsuya

Honestly don't get the hate for the Austrian song, I thought it was the best by far. Netherlands and Armenia were both crap, Sweden would have been a decent winner.

It would have came second last in EWBs best Bond theme list above All Time High, it was just dull.

The whole message behind it was a bit redundant too, it's a victory for tolerance. In a competition that was won by a transsexual in the 20th century.

The whole message behind it was a bit redundant too, it's a victory for tolerance. In a competition that was won by a transsexual in the 20th century.

In a competition that had countries wanting to black out the screen over a guy in drag performing.

I haven't listened to all of the live performances, admittedly, but in watching every video for yet another Eurovision podcast that never saw the light of day, Austria was basically in my top three. Certainly better than dull adult contemporary shit like the Netherlands.

• Like 1

Honestly don't get the hate for the Austrian song, I thought it was the best by far. Netherlands and Armenia were both crap, Sweden would have been a decent winner.

It would have came second last in EWBs best Bond theme list above All Time High, it was just dull.

... it's the 21st century.

Yeah, 15 years too late. Now if it had been in the US song contest or Middle East song contest then it's a big deal.

He's talking about Dana, surely.

I'm guessing he's talking about Dana International.

I just don't really see which particular songs were better.

Sweden, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands, etc, etc, etc.

Sweden I'd buy. UK's entry was frankly not great, though better than we've done in the past. Denmark was a lame Bruno Mars knockoff. Netherlands song was just awful, honestly don't understand why it did so well.

Hungary was pretty good too but for some reason tailed off in the voting. But yeah, Austria was my favourite. Dude has a fantastic voice.

He's talking about Dana, surely.

Oh, right. Totally forgot about that.

Nah I get the message. There is a reason Graham Norton was surprised when Austria got points from Georgia and others.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the surprise of that, but it's still a victory of novelty over actual boundary breaking. Even Dana actually had a catchy song, and that victory speech basically said nothing. "Everyone get along, you know what I mean".

I really want to see the live video of the France performance. I hope it was as bonkers as the video.

They couldn't really top it. The intermission skit where they brought out some dude from an Asian restaurant where the band members eat was significantly more entertaining than their song.

I just don't really see which particular songs were better.

Sweden, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands, etc, etc, etc.

Sweden I'd buy. UK's entry was frankly not great, though better than we've done in the past. Denmark was a lame Bruno Mars knockoff. Netherlands song was just awful, honestly don't understand why it did so well.

Hungary was pretty good too but for some reason tailed off in the voting. But yeah, Austria was my favourite. Dude has a fantastic voice.

All about opinions, of course. I thought the Netherlands had a really good song, and it seems the majority of Europe agreed.

I personally thought there were 7-8 songs better than Austria, including the UK, but people went crazy for Conchita.

Honestly Austria were not bad and were part of what was a pretty strong field of 5 or 6 songs that are good enough to win. I don't think it was the best song but definitely was good enough to win.

• Like 1

I made a list as I was watching and had Austria in 3rd behind the UK and Iceland (Hungary and Denmark rounded out the top 5), but again the Iceland love-in was mostly for the novelty. I don't see it as being clearly worse than many songs. The Netherlands song was good but for me a bit pedestrian to win.

I'll agree that it was a much stronger field than usual, there were quite a few songs that could have ended up standing out as favourites as opposed to the usual one or two.