Eurovision 2014

Katsuya

Half way through the UK entry I thought it was actually a really good performance. Thought it might stand an outside chance....and then realised that whatever song we put out we're always going to finish behind Macedonia and their bloke with the roller blader.

For what it's worth, I was giving marks out of 10 as it went along (as I do with EWB Eurovision) and my top ten (for whatever reasons) were:

1. Iceland (reminded me of something from the 80s, reminded my dad too, but we couldn't put our fingers on it. Anyway, a GOOD fun song).

2. Italy (I love Emma and it was a decent song - but never going so win).

3. Poland (my dad and father-in-law were brilliant when this started up. I thought it was another quality gimmick song).

4. UK (I legit thought it was good and the best UK entry I can remember).

5. Sweden (best ballad).

6. Finland (total surprise).

7. Germany (deserved better than it got).

8. France (I always love France's entries throughout the years. They don't care and I respect them for it. Even though they got so few points they'll still send something random out next year too).

9. Greece (the rapper was alright, chorus good, singer a bit rubbish but the song carried him).

10. Malta (all folky 'n stuff. All four parents/in-laws loved it).

I also liked Netherlands, Spain was alright and Russia's was too.

Once again the right act won. Austria went for simple staging and sheer power and emotion and nailed it. The genius of that song is that people think it's going to be a gimmick and then it's one of the least gimmicky songs of the night. Definitely would have won whoever the performer was.

Austria and Netherlands were the two best songs for me, so hooray for that!

I also can't believe the UK looked at its entry and thought "that'll do". Sounded like it belonged on Radio 1, but Radio 1 is probably the BBC's most inward looking station. Also, I think more Europeans than 16 year old Londoners vote in the Eurovision song contest. Better luck next year, BBC, and all that...

Once again the right act won. Austria went for simple staging and sheer power and emotion and nailed it. The genius of that song is that people think it's going to be a gimmick and then it's one of the least gimmicky songs of the night. Definitely would have won whoever the performer was.

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

If every ballad had been sung by the rather large Norwegian fellow with the chunky forearms, Norway's would probably have been the best of them. ;)

• Like 1

I still think we'd have a better chance sending in a rock band. Just for something different.

That must surely be the next step in the BBC's desperate search for something that Europe will vote for.

Bollocks.

Yeah you're right to pull me up on that. I was being silly.

Definitely would have won with any performer as long as they were equally as good a performer as Conchita.

Is it bad that I really liked Iceland's entry?

I liked them too!

I still think we'd have a better chance sending in a rock band. Just for something different.

That must surely be the next step in the BBC's desperate search for something that Europe will vote for.

'Rock band' doesn't exist in the BBC's world. They need to try something gimmicky, and not Scooch 'Steps but in PVC air hostess suits' gimmicky either. Also, would it kill them to have some fireworks?

The worst thing about Eurovision is every year the UK audience goes on a rant about how we always suck at it. We came fifth in 2009 and eleventh 2011, we can do well when we actually market ourselves to Europe. Conchita wouldn't have done so well if the effort wasn't put into actually making sure everyone knew who she was. Rebecca Ferguson did so well for us in 2009 because Andrew Lloyd Webber put everything into her media coverage abroad. If we want to win again we need to put the effort in.

I am sure the Dutch broadcaster is glad we came in 2nd because that means we won't have to spend cash on hosting it next year.

A bit miffed we didn't win, but proud we are back in with a shout in Eurovision, if we can keep the trend going of having sober and modest acts we might win it one of these years.

Also, liked Norway a lot. That dude sang his heart out and some real hair raising moment in there.

And I also liked Iceland, it was a preppy song without being completely braindead like France's.

The worst thing about Eurovision is every year the UK audience goes on a rant about how we always suck at it. We came fifth in 2009 and eleventh 2011, we can do well when we actually market ourselves to Europe. Conchita wouldn't have done so well if the effort wasn't put into actually making sure everyone knew who she was. Rebecca Ferguson did so well for us in 2009 because Andrew Lloyd Webber put everything into her media coverage abroad. If we want to win again we need to put the effort in.

You know what irks me about the pre-qualified nations (like the UK), is that they don't seem to really put forth the effort to truly put a good artist on stage and try to win it. It's a bit of complacency in my eyes.

Italy was a noisefest and even though it was decent, it lacked a lot. France speaks for itself. Germany was meh too, and I honestly don't understand why Molly was rated so high, the song was very generic and the ''story'' of the song was like some Captain Planet kind of stuff.

Spain was the only pre-qual nation that really caught my eye and it was a pretty great song, expected it to creep further into the top 10.

Same with Denmark, as much as it was pure narm and a Bruno Mars kind of deal, it was exactly the song you'd expect to go far purely because it's preppy, energetic and it sticks.

As a whole I was pretty amused by this years Eurovision, I personally feel that the quality is on the rise and comparing it to 4-5 years ago it stands on it's own. It's slowly shedding it's gimmicky mentality and really sending forth good songs that deserves to win.

Maybe sour grapes talking, Conchita was an incredible performance... But not the absolute best. My Top 3 would be something like Netherlands (duh), Hungary and Norway.

Molly was good but completely underwhelming. Halfway through the song I knew she'd blown it. Partially the EBU's fault for having 26 song finals and not 24, I'd say.

Love that Azerbaijan couldn't cheat this year and finished so low down too.

I think Molly was at least partly hindered by the lame staging to be honest.

I preface this by saying I really likes Molly's song as a song, but for next year I think it'd be a step in the right direction to get a songwriter in who knows about writing popular songs on the continent. When the UK tries to come up with something it thinks Europe will like it's normally miles off. So getting someone who knows a thing or two about making a song the rest of Europe likes would probably be pretty helpful...