Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

40 minutes ago, Benji said:

Taylor Swift. I don't vehemently dislike her or anything, but she's not even close to as good as the amount of hype she gets. Far more interesting modern pop acts out there.

"Shake It Off" is a choon and a half though.

I had the same issue with Lady Gaga a while back - there's a huge disconnect between the imagery and the artistry. Gaga was visually provocative, yet her music was off-cut 90s Eurodance.

Swift seems to have a reputation of being genuine compared to cookie-cutter pop acts. But she's no Lorde.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GA! said:

Swift seems to have a reputation of being genuine compared to cookie-cutter pop acts.

Which is hilarious, because she's the most well-protected and manufactured act of her time (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just find it amusing).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Which is hilarious, because she's the most well-protected and manufactured act of her time (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just find it amusing).

Yeah, again, which is weird. A two-minute Google search will tell you her family paid for her pop stardom. Think they even own her record label IIRC.

• Like 1

The only problem I have with Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga is that their songs get played to death. One of the radio stations here is playing Wildest Dreams a LOT, and I'm so sick of hearing A Million Reasons that it isn't even funny. Strange thing is, that same station that's overplayinjg Wildest Dreams has been playing Poker Face quite a bit lately. 

(They're also playing Ariana Grande way too much.)

I'm stuck listening to that shit, because Heidi won't let me change the station in her car sometimes. If I do, it goes on classic rock. We used to have a really good hard rock/metal station, but they went country. And if there's something we really needed around here, it wasn't another country station. We already had about 8 of them.

• Like 1

Gorillaz.

I genuinely like most of the singles Albarn has released, even if they're never really in the circulation of songs that I consistently listen to. But I have never really understood the hype that calls Demon Days to be one of the best albums of the twenty-first century. There's too many forgettable songs or tracks that could be called "filler".

I don't think Albarn knows what to do with the talent that he collaborates with, as seen with Plastic Beach. You have Mark E. Smith and you put him on Glitter Freeze? Plastic Beach sucked. I find Albarn to a be a jack of all trades, but master of none.

I guess the high praise on the internet for Gorillaz is from people getting an intro to new genres they haven't experienced?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

Gorillaz.

I genuinely like most of the singles Albarn has released, even if they're never really in the circulation of songs that I consistently listen to. But I have never really understood the hype that calls Demon Days to be one of the best albums of the twenty-first century. There's too many forgettable songs or tracks that could be called "filler".

I don't think Albarn knows what to do with the talent that he collaborates with, as seen with Plastic Beach. You have Mark E. Smith and you put him on Glitter Freeze? Plastic Beach sucked. I find Albarn to a be a jack of all trades, but master of none.

I guess the high praise on the internet for Gorillaz is from people getting an intro to new genres they haven't experienced?

I own Demon Days and the deluxe version of Plastic Beach, and I agree somewhat with your assessment. I'd say over half of Plastic Beach is garbage, and I've not really listened to anything off it other than Stylo in well over a year. Though Empire Ants is my second favorite song off it. (Glad you mentioned Glitter Freeze. Its one of my least favorite Gorillaz tracks, period. Not just off that album.) There are a couple of tracks on there that would have been much better as instrumentals. White Flag is quite good....until the vocals kick in.

Demon Days one of the best albums of the twenty-first century? Hah! Kids With Guns, Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc;, and *maybe* Dare are the only good songs on it. The others are all meh to bad.

I think what I like most about Gorillaz is that it's a popular artist trying (and many times failing) to try something outside the popular norm. Far too many artists rely on the same old things, or try to totally reinvent themselves with a new album. Gorillaz are just a total mishmash inside an album and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but when they get it right they tend to get it really right.

There is great stuff on Demon Days, but yeah, a lot I skip over.

I actually think the Beatles deserve their credit. I'm not a huge fan but I understand the love. The Stoned are overhyped I agree. 

Pink Floyd was best with Syd Barrett. Yes, that's sort of the cliche answer for the cool rock and roll kids, but its true. Pink Floyd has some decent stuff after but another group I can do without mostly.

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I think what I like most about Gorillaz is that it's a popular artist trying (and many times failing) to try something outside the popular norm. Far too many artists rely on the same old things, or try to totally reinvent themselves with a new album. Gorillaz are just a total mishmash inside an album and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but when they get it right they tend to get it really right.

Very well said. Or some artists do something different and its just crap. The first two albums have some excellent stuff but then some if it is filler like people mentioned.

On 10/04/2017 at 09:39, Benji said:

giphy.gif