Bands That Don't Live Up To The Hype

EndOfAnEra

This might've been mentioned already, but here's one I always get shit for: Mars Volta. They might be able to play their instruments but jeeeeeeeeeeesssssus are their songs brutal. If anything, Sparta was underrated after the At The Drive In split. They weren't amazing, but they had catchier songs and Mars Volta just seemed to get drooled over at every show I went to.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

Journey.

At some point in the 70s, people lost their mind and decided Journey should be famous. I don't know why, I don't make the rules and nobody asked for my input on this. They were yet another cheesy, arena rock band with a lead singer that had chest hair like a shag carpet. Luckily, they were sort of forgotten and only your parents listened to them. Then something happened, people started doing ironic sing alongs of their music, especially at sporting events. At some point, people started to believe that Journey actually was good and the sing alongs were no longer ironic, people believed this simple bullshit was actually good. No, we couldn't leave Journey buried in a Where Are They Now? episode, some dipshits had to take them serious.

And the really crazy thing? People that are even casual fans think it's fucking absurd to dislike Journey. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T LIKE JOURNEY?! THEY'RE AMAZING". Journey blows, fuck Journey.

• Like 2

Yeah, they're part of this stupid thing at the moment - especially in hard rock and metal - where longevity is seen as an indicator of talent. It isn't.

Like you said, it all starts when someone uses one of their songs ironically and that catches on. Sooner or later it gets to idiots who don't get the joke, and unironically think that sub-Whitesnake stadium shit is genuinely good. And it bloody isn't.

Just look at the kind of people who play big rock and metal festivals. The Download festival, which is supposed to be one of the metal festivals have fucking Aerosmith headlining. In 2014!

And that's an improvement! Last year had Europe, Uriah Heep and UFO! 2012 had the fucking Quireboys, Gun, Saxon, Sebastian Bach and Ugly Kid Joe.

2010 had fucking Enuff Z'Nuff! They wouldn't have been a viable festival act the last time someone remembered who they fucking were, let alone in 2010! Shit, MICHAEL MONROE was the headline act on that stage. And Cinderella played!

• Like 1

part of this stupid thing at the moment - especially in hard rock and metal - where longevity is seen as an indicator of talent.

That's not an "at the moment" thing. That's a classic rock thing. IT'S OLD AND HAD HITS TWENTY YEARS AGO, CLASSIC RAAAAAAAAAAWK. I feel like it's been like that since the advent of radio. Yesterday's garbage top hits are tomorrow's classics, now and forever.

Creed, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Green Day = Overrated.

If I never ever have to hear "Arms Wide Open", "I'm Still Alive" or "Jeremy" again as long as I live, I'll be a happy man.

Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Creed and Nirvana

• Like 1

Journey's revival I think is first Soprano's fault, for using it in the very last scene (perfectly, though I might add). But I'm all for blaming Family Guy because fuck Family Guy. I think think Family Guy is responsible for the "hey, is that Journey!? FUKIN JOURNEY BRO!" reaction. Then from there, in 2009 it just got completely done to shit, with the Glee version, the X Factor version and the original version all being played at the same time. Now it's died down, I don't mind it as much, but still. Having said this, "Anyway You Want It" is so stupidly brilliant (and Rise Against's cover is just as great).

The thing with "Don't Stop Believin'" is that it has the same problem as Queen does: people don't sing it with you, they sing it at you. Making shitty songs shittier.

I generally find all pop punk to be incredibly overrated and genuinely don't think I like a single Green Day song. In fact I prefer, the American Idiot era songs because those are the only one's I really know and was when I first heard of them. The club I go to play "Basket Case" a lot, and genuinely didn't know it was them, or what it was called, until about a year ago. Also, fuck Blink 182.

Aside from sharing members, Alter Bridge & Foo Fighters and Creed & Nirvana aren't even similar bands.

• Like 1

If I never ever have to hear "Arms Wide Open", "I'm Still Alive" or "Jeremy" again as long as I live, I'll be a happy man.

Alter Bridge and Foo Fighters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Creed and Nirvana

Agreed with the abuse of Jeremy and Alive on the radio, but Pearl Jam's ''hype'' is nothing compared to the (already heavily spoken about) messianic dick-sucking Nirvana Kurt Cobain receives.

My list:

Imagine Dragons, van Halen, Katy Perry, Green Day, Every 90's (post-pop-rock-funk-neo-arse)Punk band, Killers, Rise Against, Paramore, THE VERVE, Oasis, Blur, RATM, Massive Attack.

I can probably go on, but this is enough... for now.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Megadeth. I've moved off the days when I was particularly into heavy metal anyway but, even then, I thought most of Megadeth was dreck. It just all seemed to be "like Metallica, but with infinitely more cringe-worthy lyrics" - I vividly remember having to delete "Sweating Bullets" from whatever mp3 player I was using because I couldn't fucking stand the first line of "HELLO ME MEET THE REAL ME".

Alice in Chains as well. They're not bad, but nothing I've heard from them has really grabbed me in the way the rest of the Big Four did.

• Like 2

Agreed with the abuse of Jeremy and Alive on the radio, but Pearl Jam's ''hype'' is nothing compared to the (already heavily spoken about) messianic dick-sucking Nirvana Kurt Cobain receives.

My list:

Imagine Dragons, van Halen, Katy Perry, Green Day, Every 90's (post-pop-rock-funk-neo-arse)Punk band, Killers, Rise Against, Paramore, THE VERVE, Oasis, Blur, RATM, Massive Attack.

I can probably go on, but this is enough... for now.

Blur? In what possible way have they not lived up to the hype?

Journey is one of those bands that became popular again as a joke and then a ton of people with bad taste didn't get it.

Then call me a person with bad taste, because I got the joke, but I still love the song.
Hey, I do love Separate Ways though.

I was one of those Journey fans until I went back to work in radio. We were predominantly an 80s station in 2009 and the amount of Journey I've heard in the last five years has killed any nostalgia factor I had for them. I do like their current singer though, but he had an off night when I saw them live.

Now Foreigner... THERE'S a 70s/80s group to love

• Like 1

part of this stupid thing at the moment - especially in hard rock and metal - where longevity is seen as an indicator of talent.

That's not an "at the moment" thing. That's a classic rock thing. IT'S OLD AND HAD HITS TWENTY YEARS AGO, CLASSIC RAAAAAAAAAAWK. I feel like it's been like that since the advent of radio. Yesterday's garbage top hits are tomorrow's classics, now and forever.

As long as you aren't throwing shade at Molly Hatchet, I agree.

Of the big four metal bands, the only one I like is Metallica. The other 3... I don't know, they just seemed to appeal more to those people who act like "HEY MAN REAL MUSIC IS GUITARZ AND IF IT HAS NO GUITARZ IT'S NOT MUSIC AND IT'S SHIT \m/". I can't stand the vocals in Megadeth, and he just seems like a miserable person with his "hey I used to be in Metallica! LIKEEE MEEEEE". I've never been a 'metal' fan, and those 3 bands were metal; the first Metallica album I heard was Reload which had a lot more of a grungy tone to it.

Back in the summer of 2008 I downloaded a Foreigner greatest hits album and there were some excellent songs on that. But there were 20 songs on there and boy, that was a looooong 70 minutes. That's just too much Foreigner.