The 87th Academy Awards

Jimmy

Having seen both Birdman and Foxcatcher, I really think Carrell should win. He really threw himself into the role more, while Keaton's performance always came off as playing a version of himself.

I'm really surprised that Gone Girl was snubbed so much. The Academy must really still not like Ben Affleck because I thought his performance was incredible.

Actually, Argo winning Best Pic was considered by many as an apology for snubbing him on Best Director. :P

That said, he was good in GG but nowhere near Oscar-worthy in that tight field. Rosamund Pike (and Tyler Perry) stole the show.

I've usually seen at least one or two of the Best Picture nominees. Last year, I saw about half prior to the awards. This year, though? Zilch. But we do have Boyhood in the Netflix dvd queue, and I'm considering adding The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Going off what HeadCheese said, I've heard a lot of people say The Judge isn't good. That's the main reason I still haven't seen it yet, because the cast looks awesome.

Tyler Perry deserved it way way more than Robert Duvall. That is a sentence I never expected to type.

Meryl Streep getting nominated again is still, worse, though, I think. I mean, it's her 19th fucking nomination. She's a great actress, but come on. A throwaway nomination just because it's Meryl Streep is horrible.

I mean, fine, it wasn't the greatest year for supporting actresses from what I've seen, all the good roles seemed to have male, but Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, Mia Wasikowska and Imelda Staunton all had fucking excellent performances this year. Hell, they could have dropped Felicity Jones to supporting actress category.

Decided I should probably actually watch all the Best Picture nominees.

Opinions so far:

Birdman - I thought it was a good film, but I'm pretty sure I didn't understand parts of it. Which is why it's probably a strong contender to win.

The Imitation Game - Definite Oscar baiting, good individual performances, but shouldn't win.

Whiplash - My current favourite, but I still have four more to watch. Utterly incredible.

The Theory of Everything - Eddie Redmayne was fantastic and I won't object to him getting the Best Actor nod, but something about the film seemed off. Can't place my finger on it.

Will edit in the others as I watch them.