The Thread Where We Discuss Golf

Marcos

Was ridiculous to hear the commentator yesterday saying how Spieth is making his way up to the levels of Woods and McIlroy.  Understanding the bias British commentators will have for McIlroy, I still fail to see how, in anyway, Spieth can be classed as 'lesser' than McIlroy

Sky have a MASSIVE hard-on for McIlroy. 

At the end of Day 1, their "story of the day" was about him when, fair enough, he bounced back from +5.

But on day 2, despite Zach Johnson shooting a great score in the crazy weather, it was about Rory again in story of the day. 

Didn't even tune in to that part of the show on Day 3, but there would have been a huge backlash if that honour didn't go to Branden Grace. 

It doesn't seem to matter how he's doing in a round, we'll still see almost every one of his tee and approach shots. I don't even dislike Rory but the coverage he gets even when he isn't playing well is silly.

They and the rest of the media for that matter have elected him as the poster boy for British golf and the successor to Tiger Woods on the world stage. They're always going to make a big deal out of him, even though he's "failed" to reach those expectations. Shame really as I think he'd have been more successful without the pressure the media have put on him. Fowler in the US is suffering a similar thing, IMO.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baddar said:

I read that up til the end of 2016, Kuchar had won almost $38m in prize money. Not bad for someone without a major! 

His 2nd place yesterday pocketed him over $1m too.

Most prize money without a major currently on the tour since Sergio won The Masters and Stricker is on a part-time basis only.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

They and the rest of the media for that matter have elected him as the poster boy for British golf and the successor to Tiger Woods on the world stage. They're always going to make a big deal out of him, even though he's "failed" to reach those expectations. Shame really as I think he'd have been more successful without the pressure the media have put on him. Fowler in the US is suffering a similar thing, IMO.

Yeah Spieth in many ways snuck in there as people were gushing over Rory and Rickie as the new great rivalry and passed both of them by. They were basically 1-2 in 2014 and then in 2015 Spieth had a year for the ages. Golf has a lot of guys at the top though, and I'm sure Rory will get back there. I don't think any of them are taking the Tiger spot. But they'll have Tiger-esque runs in their careers.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else seen the coverage BBC have got for the final major of the year? It's laughable. 

They have the exclusive rights, yet if you want to watch more than an hour a day, you'll need to use the red button. Also, they're doing the commentary from a studio in Salford! 

It begs the question, why bother bidding for it when they aren't going to give it proper attention? Awful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So who does everyone have this weekend?

I don't think he'll win, but I'm pulling for Rickie. He seems like such a good guy. I'd love to see him win this weekend to get that majors monkey off his back.

If I had to put money down, I guess it'd be Spieth. On this course, he just seems like he's always going to be right there at the end.