The Thread Where We Discuss Golf

Marcos

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Tiger and Phil were horrendous this weekend. Absolutely no reason either, Phil especially, should have made the team in the first place outside of some weird idea of loyalty.

And to think people are going to buy a PPV featuring just the two of them. 👎

7 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Wouldn't it be an assumed risk that you might get hit by a ball at a golf course?

I'm pretty sure it's a rule on the European Tour for players to shout "fore" after a wayward shot, but it's not the case on the PGA Tour, even though players do shout it. I didn't see the incident but if he didn't, she'll have a case.

I presume it'll be aimed at the organisers? They can look into whether or not the course was set up appropriately and if sound protocols are in place for such an event as a wayward stroke hitting the spectators areas.

A very unfortunate incident and you can appreciate the woman has suffered a major physical trauma and has medical bills to pay. Whether or not she has a legal case though remains to be seen.

She's suing the organisers for the following reasons:

• She believes the marshals should have warned that a ball was coming as spectators would not have heard shouts of 'fore' from the tee.
  • She says the marshals did not communicate that players were attempting to drive for the green instead of laying up on the fairway.
  • She claims officials did not check on her or visit her after she was taken to hospital.
  • She alleges there was a lack of safety warnings on the ticket and signage around the venue.

I can understand the first one, but knowing where a golf ball is going isn't easy at the best of times. The second one is absurd, the marshals aren't going to know what any specific player is going to do with their drive. The organisers are already contradicting the third and fourth ones with proof they did both, and even if there's a "lack of safety warnings", it's a golf course with golf being played on it.

I have a lot of sympathy for her because of the life-changing injury she's suffered, but I can't see it as anything other than a freak, unfortunate accident. If anything does come of the lawsuit then it's going to have a huge impact of the sport because courses simply won't take the financial risk of allowing spectators anywhere near the fairways or greens, and attendances will plummet.

• 6 months later...