The Thread Where We Discuss Golf

Marcos

31 minutes ago, Liam said:

Everyone on my timeline is really excited at the prospect of Tiger winning, forgetting he seems like a fairly horrible person outside of the sport.

So much this. I have been saying "anyone but Tiger" for the last three days (and then adding or Kuchar shortly afterwards).

We are not going to hear the end of this for a long time. When he was fading I was getting annoyed at how anything on a sports show relating to golf was "Tiger hasn't won anything for five years and he's two days after a back surgery and he may not be playing but CAN TIGER WIN THIS TIME?". This just resets the timeline.

Molinari has also McIlroy'd this back 9 quite spectacularly.

11 minutes ago, MDK said:

Why do we hate Tiger?

Because he did a few bad things, isn't 100% perfect like everybody who hates him, and people don't get that people can change.

Oh, and he gets talked about over anything/everybody else in golf.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MDK said:

Why do we hate Tiger?

Most of it's because of the affairs he had maintained for years before they came to light.

Tiger wasn't the most popular golfer back in his prime either. Not like Patrick Reed nowadays in terms of the level of contempt (or Rory Sabbatini) but he still rubbed people the wrong way. Like a lot of things, time has changed that.

• Like 1

His personality and past issues be damned, he's one of the best golfers of all time and easily the best of my lifetime. I didn't mind seeing him comeback and win this thing at all. I'm not going to be throwing a party for him or anything, but it was a very impressive display he did out there and 15 majors is just incredible. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Because he did a few bad things, isn't 100% perfect like everybody who hates him, and people don't get that people can change.

He systematically cheated on his wife and was only a couple of years back arrested on a DUI.

People can change, but it takes more than being able to hit a golf ball really well to get over that.

18 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I'm not going to be throwing a party for him or anything, but it was a very impressive display he did out there and 15 majors is just incredible. 

I think that's the key thing. A lot of people on my Twitter are like 'zOMG the most popular guy who everyone likes is winning', when it just isn't the case. It is impressive though - no doubt about that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...