• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

So I dusted this off again recently. And by recently I mean this weekend because I got thinking that I didn't pick up the newest one, but if I can use the next few months to grasp the mechanics of this game, I might just buy the one when it comes out around March. I figure every couple years would be good purchase since I get more and more into baseball each year. Hell, maybe within 5 years I'll be able to catch more than about 10 a year. :shifty: 

So yeah, though I'm trying to work myself back into being an actual fan, I'm definitely not there yet in knowing who a lot of these players are and shit. For the most part though, I'm not sure if that has a huge bearing on the actual game since the game should help me get used to these players.

My biggest issue with games like these, and one that I'm hoping we can talk about now, is that I have no idea about the financial side of things, the farm system and how to decide what players are worth what.

For example:

I just started a new season with Toronto (of course :P) and two of my owner goals are to "Sign Jose Bautista to an extension" and "Upgrade at 2nd Base this season."

While I think the first one is BS, and I think they should have kept Edwin in real life, I have to do what my owner says and try to sign him to an extension. You know what, nevermind, as I was typing this I double checked what he wanted for an extension and he was willing to take a 1 year, 18M contract. Since he's already making 14M this year I figured I'd take him up on it and make my stupid owner happy. So here's the new question? Was this a good deal for us? I checked before the season started and that bat flipping bastard wanted 5 years 25 million per. I knew there was no way I was giving him that.

So let's go to my second example. Before the season started I decided I needed to pump up my bullpen a bit even though I have Bo Shultz and Aaron Loup coming back in about a month, I decided I had too many 1st basemen so I decided to see who I could get for one of them. I threw Chris Colabello out there to see what I could get for him and surprisingly got a few different offers. I decided to take 33-year old Sergio Romo from the Giants. Now when I went to the trade screen, my assist coach or whoever it is that tells me whether it's a good deal or not said that it was decent, but I could ask for more. So I tried to get a minor league player out of them just to kind of build for the future a bit but nothing I asked them for worked for them so I ended up just doing the 1 for 1 trade. Hopefully I don't look back on this a couple months from now with sadness.

Anyway, now that the number 1 issue might be out of the way, and hopefully I can still re-sign Edwin if he has a good season this year. It brings me to my number 2 issue. How the hell do I go about finding an upgrade at second base? I currently have Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney at second and Devon Travis will be back in about 5 weeks from injury. Travis is listed as 17th in the league ranking so what is your strategy when it comes to finding someone better?

I assume that nobody goes team by team, minor league by minor league searching do they? What am I even looking for in this case? I mean I assume that I'm looking for someone with a higher "Second Base" stat than Travis, but I don't want to give up other things too. I mean Travis is pretty good at turning Double Plays, he's got some Gap Power and he's still got some room for growth in a few other places as well.

So I guess the biggest question is, when you guys are looking for someone to make your team better....do you take the slow methodical approach of looking through every damn player or do you have a better way that would help me in my learning?

So yeah, that was a long rant but let's talk some baseball and some video games all at the same time. How can you scoff at that?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...