Star Trek Discovery

K

A character observation:

Spoiler

Mirror Georgiou is basically obnoxious 90s heel Shawn Michaels, if Michaels had been given any degree of actual government authority. 

On tonight's finale: 

Spoiler

And here I thought they were going to do some kind of timey whimey reset "hey let's not shoot that ship trust me' thing. I thought for all the buildup that shit was really going to go down with the Klingons. I don't think anybody even died in this episode. But at no point did it ever feel like they were in any kind of actual danger. This is how this episode's premise would've played out on every version of Star Trek excluding TAS: 

KIRK: Spock...we've....got to find a.....commongroundwithourenemies....then.....we can..........gogetlaid. 

PICARD: I refuse to obliterate another civilization even if they are my sworn enemy. AT WHAT POINT DO WE DRAW THE LINE? 
SISKO: I don't want to *fight* the Klingons, Major....but I'm sure as hell not letting my guard down around them. 
JANEWAY: To hell with the plan. FIRE.

ARCHER: You're right. Trip did another stupid thing that nearly got us all killed or boiled alive, and humans have no business exploring the gravity. Now can we please go back to having unresolved sexual tension? 

I honestly expected more of the whole Captain Georgiou thing too. No ruthlessness, just being a bit of a bitch on the bridge (and let's face it, Saru and Burnham were about to spill the beans), and basically being a professional while on the away mission. 

And in the end, the thing that one the day was the fucking Picard Speech. Fine, whatever. 

I think it could have ended better as well. I mean...ok, yay, the Enterprise, but Jesus, way to marginalize this mysterious new captain you're getting. It is captivating thinking how they're going to fill out the Enterprise's crew, or if they'll use different actors then the one's they had from the movies. 

Honestly, I think what was needed is more drama and less resolution. 

am glad they didn't do something predictable like having Prime Lorca show up or giving the Disovery to the Emperor on a full-time basis. And I am glad to see they didn't give the ship to Saru, since he would've been an XO less than a year, and not much of it would have been in command situations. And I also like that all of this now fits in neatly with the main timeline. And part of me does think that, once they do reveal the new captain for Discovery, that it'll be Burnham. 

I'm also glad they didn't screw Georgiou over over at the end. Probably would have been a bad move :shifty: 

Still, this is the best first season Trek has had.  

Really enjoyed the finale (and series as a whole). Looking forward to seeing what they do for Season 2.