Arsenal Thread

TMM

The Sunday Times reports that Arsenal save their players millions of pounds in tax every year through 'a series of secretive front companies and offshore trusts'.

The paper claims the proportion of income paid by Gunners' players to the Inland Revenue is, on average, only half the 40% rate normally paid by high earners.

British players such as Ashley Cole and Ray Parlour are able to pay tax at a rate of only 1% on some of their six-figure bonuses while the trusts enable foreign players, such as Thierry Henry, to avoid paying any tax on their bonuses at all.

The tax-avoidance plan, reportedly developed by accountants Deloitte & Touche, is legal but was met with anger by Liberal Democrat shadow Treasury minister Norman Lamb.

He said: 'It sticks in the throat that these England players are able to avoid their responsibilities to the country.

'It's unattractive that clubs and players operate in this way, particularly when the ordinary football supporter does not have the opportunity to benefit from this sort of thing.'

Former England international Jack Charlton added: 'I am amazed they are not paying tax. I cannot understand why the tax people are not involved.'

Source

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of clubs do it, nothing new.

Wenger has said today that there is a 'big possibility' at leats one more player will join this summer and a maximum of 2. I think that one maybe Trabelsi, maybe the other could be a central midfielder if Vieira goes? :(

I think that's the case. On a random note, somebody on TV mentioned signing Steven Gerrard if we sold Vieira. That might ease the void, but Gerrard is no Vieira and we shouldn't let him go.

Something else that was mentioned; do Real really have that much more of a chance of winning the Champions League than Arsenal? The way it's gone the last couple of years I don't think any team can promise a player that he'll lift the cup. I'd say Arsenal will start next year with as good a chance as anyone, nobody really wants to play us.

Edited by supergrass

Nobody in Europe has a better chance of winning the Champions League than Arsenal this season.

After the campagin we had last year, this will be our year. This is our best chance of winning it, and hopefully Vieira realises this.

I think that's the case. On a random note, somebody on TV mentioned signing Steven Gerrard if we sold Vieira. That might ease the void, but Gerrard is no Vieira and we shouldn't let him go.

Viera has said himself that Gerard could be as good - if not better than himself, which he could easily be.

That said, Gerrard has just commited himself to Liverpool for at least 2 seasons, and if he wants to leave after that I'm pretty sure Chelsea will still want him - and will be able to outbid Arsenal.

But they shouldn't sell Viera.

I think Gerrard will be as good as Vieira in time, but I think Vieira is still the better of the two, plus he's always seemed so committed to the club, which is why I'd take Vieira over Gerrard.

If Real could take Vieira from Arsenal I think Arsenal would be able to take Gerrard with the extra cash. Vieira's got a three year contract I believe, so Gerrard's might not save him.

Hopefully it won't come to this, leaving both us Arsenal and the Liverpool fans happy.

In my opinion, Arsenal WILL win it sometime soon, but please why does everyone have to keep saying its there year? People said it last year, and don't say you guys didn't. I'm not an Arsenal hater, but I'll put my money on them not making it to the final, maybe not even the semis. I always see them caring for the premiership more than the CL for some reason. It all depends on the draw though that's for sure, while they can compete with some of the best, its always good to get a really good draw.

I still see Viera staying too. Gerrard moving to Arsenal would be a wrong move for me IF it happened, I just don't see him as an Arsenal player. Sure he is great and could play there, but no way will be be able to replace Viera whatever anyone says. Viera has been at Arsenal for sometime that he knows how Arsenal play, everyone talks about Henry like he's the god of Arsenal, well I'd look at Viera before Henry.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I've been worried over the last week about him leaving, but from lack of coverage over the last day or so I'd like to think its died down. It seems to be just another case of Real trying to scare teams by making out they're the greatest thing to ever happen to football.

Theres too much politics at Real Madrid, I say fuck 'em. Theres more to achieve at Arsenal than Real, and other than buying people just for the name value they aren't that great of a team.

Real can eat my ass.

On a side note, Gerrard couldn't replace Vieira, I like Gerrard alot but lets not get silly.

I like the way Real Madrid bid £10m for him. How dumb are they? If he is the greatest player in his position (which he is, no doubt) do they really think we'll accept that? I think we laughed in their faces about that bid!

ARSENE WENGER last night moved to ease Arsenal’s mounting midfield crisis by signing French Under-21 star Mathieu Flamini.

The Marseille ace was snapped up for a bargain £1.5million after a secret trial at the club’s London Colney training ground.

And Flamini, 20, who admits he has based his game on Patrick Vieira, will now be groomed as the man to take over from the wantaway Gunners skipper.

Flamini was a key figure in Marseille’s UEFA Cup victories over Liverpool and Newcastle on their way to last season’s final but walked out of the French club following a pay dispute.

Although Flamini was technically a free agent because he had reached the end of his contract, Marseille are eligible to £1.5m in compensation because the player is under 21 and graduated through the club’s youth system.

His arrival came just hours after Gunners manager Wenger was rocked by Edu’s shock confession that he wants to join Spanish giants Barcelona.

Wenger is already preparing for life without Vieira as Arsenal await the £30m bid which will take their influential captain to Real Madrid.

Yet Highbury hero Martin Keown reckons Vieira, 28, will ‘finish the job’ and lead Arsenal to Champions League glory.

Former team-mate Keown, 37, now at Leicester, insisted: “Patrick will not be going — that is my view.

“I say it because I don’t think Patrick will allow it to happen.

“He has been part of something fantastic at Arsenal and I am sure he will want to see it through by going on to win the Champions League next season.”

Keown spent 11 years at Highbury from 1993 until his free move to the Foxes on Tuesday.

So he is perfectly placed to know how the players will be coping with the situation.

And Keown is adamant that despite speculation surrounding Vieira, the issue is not that big a deal within the Arsenal dressing room. He said: “You have got to remember Arsenal are no strangers to this.

“It’s a story that has come up a number of times over the years and when you are an Arsenal player on the inside, it never appears to be as big a problem as all the hoo-ha outside.

“There are always lots of attempts to destabilise the players but they’re such a strong group and to a man always pull in the same direction. Patrick has been absolutely phenomenal over the past couple of seasons.

“He’s proved himself to be an excellent captain and has really grown into the job.

“He has that caring side to him and there were several occasions last season when he sorted out problems and called for meetings at crucial times, which were all his own doing.

“I think he enjoys the extra responsibility and I’m sure he will stay with Arsenal.”

But Keown plans to tell all about Arsenal’s success under Wenger to help boost Leicester’s prospects of a quick return to the Premiership next season.

He said: “What concerned the Arsenal players when Mr Wenger arrived was ‘Can nice guys win things?’ But he proved they can with his type of management.

“What he does first is create a very calm atmosphere. It’s a nice place to come in for work every day and everything is kept simple on and off the pitch.

“But we all have to move on and I’m now looking forward to helping Leicester and boss Micky Adams in any way that I can.

“Micky wants to tap in to some of the things I have learnt and I’m also keen to learn off him.”

Interesting, quite a good signing, I saw him a few times last season, but when they say a replacement for Vieira, I don't think so, we have needed a young central midifelder anyway seieng as Parlour is going by the looks of it.

The back looks pretty cool, with the bit where the name is is white, with the names in red (or black, can't remember). I'll be getting it soon

The agent of Portugal international midfielder Maniche has confirmed that Arsenal are interested in securing the services of his client.

Speaking to a Portuguese radio station, Paulo Barbosa claimed that negotiations between Porto and the North Londoners had already started.

He insisted that a deal was very possible as the Portuguese champions were not demanding a massive fee for the 26-year-old.

"I can confirm the interest of Arsenal, given that negotiations have already begun with the club," he told Radio Renascenca.

"We will have to see if the transfer can be completed as the amount Porto are asking for are not very elevated."

Barbosa's words seem to signal that Arsenal have already accepted that Patrick Vieira is on his way to Real Madrid and have made moves to land his replacement.

Maniche was widely regarded as Portugal's outstanding player in their run to the final of Euro 2004.

He was also a key figure as Porto landed their historic Portuguese League and UEFA Champions League double last season.

source: planetfootball.com

Your thoughts?

I don't want him. Simply put, I think Wenger is only going in for him because of Vieira for two reasons.

1) He hopes it'll prove to Vieira that bringing in bigger players

2) Replacement :(

I'm still pissed off about Parlour though...

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I got the new shirt today, I had previously ordered it on eBay but Sport-Soccer were selling it for £35 with a name already printed so I just bought it there, I'll sell the other one when it arrives. Its a real nice top, the different color sleaves and the yellow shield make it different to the United/Brazil/Portugal/Mexico/'Insert Random Nike Kit made team' here. I still wish Nike would use their hundreds of designers to make more than 1 individual design for 600 teams though.

As for Maniche? I don't want him, I honestly don't believe Vieira will go now anyway, and if he does Maniche can't honestly replace him, and plus his name isn't even Maniche, get a real name you tart.